Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 8. After the harvest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2016, 10:46 AM

Default Curing in stainless steel with constant RH packets,question?

There's some locktop stainless steel containers advertised to cure freshly cut colas.
If advertising is true,you fill it up,put a packet of some material that absorbs moisture but keeps RH constant,then airtight SS cap is put on.
Open up later and supposedly perfectly cured buds.Once cured it can be used for long term storage because the added packet keeps RH constant.
They're costly since it's 420 related but the metal containers would be simple to get.Theres many substitutes for food grade SS containers that seal.
Has anyone used one or seen one do as advertised?
They're called cvaults and here's a link
https://www.cvaultstorage.com/

Last edited by Indi; 10-19-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:27 AM

They are overpriced and add no additional benefit to classic mason jars aside from being light-proof.

And I am fairly certain if one looks around, they can find dark brown/purple mason jars that don't let as much light through.

Or just do what I did and get light-proof plastic containers.

The packets they mention that absorb moisture/keep RH constant are "Boveda" packs. You can google them and buy them on amazon or anywhere.
They are mainly used by cigar afficionados in their humidors to keep the RH of their cigars constant.

Many people seem to use the Bovedas and they are definitely beneficial and not negatively affecting any cure. But they are not completely necessary either. I plan to get me a few.

The stainless steel adds nothing to the curing process and it is just a plain old air-proof (hermetic) container with a Boveda pack in it.
And for that it is insanely overpriced.

You are still doing the same type of cure you would do with mason jars and hygrometers. Or with mason jars and boveda packs.
You would just purchase the luxury of being able to leave the bowl/jar outside in the room instead of having to put it in a dark cupboard or something.

If you want to "step it up" curing-wise or simply try a different and/or simpler method, I suggest the freezer cure.

I posted a thread here with a link to the big thread over at IC and some basic info. I will be using this method in the future.
Only draw-back is a one-time-investment of somewhere between 200 and 500 bucks for the frost-free freezer and it has to be frost-free or "no-frost". The main reason this works is because the freezer uses air to freeze the goods and turns over the air inside the freezer regularly with minimal temperature differences. This acts the same way as you burping the jars during the cure.

Basically you put the buds in right after hang-drying them for a few days (until stems snap) and off into the frost-free freezer they go. The cure takes a bit longer as the low temps stretch it out (which is good, a drawn out cure leaves you with a better end product than a quick/fast cure) but on the flipside you just "set it and forget it".
Once you put the buds into the freezer, you just leave them there until you take them out 1 or 2 months later and they should be perfect.

If you want to upgrade the old mason-jar cure, invest in good hygrometers that you can put into the jars (they have to be waterproof and small enough) and maybe, if that does anything for you, find some jars that are light-proof.

The product you ask about does nothing imho and is just a cash grab like so many other products in this industry. Preying on uninformed people etc.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:08 PM

I have a CVault. I purchased it just to see if I liked it. I agree that it doesn't do anything that a mason jar won't, but I do like it.

The main benefit is that it can be out in the open and not look at all like a ganja container. Another benefit is that it is wide mouthed, so that the buds can lay nicely in it.

I also cure using mason jars, and have a dozen of those going at the same time. I use the Boveda packs in both the jars and the Cvault, and there is no difference between the two in this respect. The Boveda packs work very well. I use the largest ones they make (read that the smaller ones don't work as reliably), and have them in every jar. After a few weeks, I remove them, and store them in an airtight container to preserve their shelf life. The humidity remains constant at that point, so the bags have done their job.

Cvault : a luxury, nice to have one or two. Jars are just as functional.
Boveda: a necessity for me, as I don't have time to burp the jars and pay attention, so I have often failed at curing and end up with buds that have no aroma. Boveda seems to solve that.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:59 AM

I think a SS pressure cooking pot would work just as good as a SS cvault and is much cheaper and could be gotten much larger.
One would have to make a plug for the pressure release valve but a rubber oring and SS nut and bolt should do the job.
I was mainly curious if the cbaults worked and it sounds as if they do.
Can you put freshly harvested and cut colas in them with a few packets and open them a month later with properly cured products?
I could see them working if product was fully cured first but advertisements say throw colas in them the moment they're harvested and a month or so later they're done.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:07 AM

Just so there is no misunderstanding:
I doubt that the cvault is a bad product.
Fairly certain that it is nice to have. Just completely overpriced and not worth it imho.

The tip on using the large Boveda packs is very good. Forgot to mention it and had also read elsewhere that the small ones don't work as well (which makes sense as they are intended for use with small humidors or for transportation of a hand full of cigars).

Also agree that any ol' stainless steel bowl could do what the cvault does if one finds/makes a suitable air-tight lid. The only difference to the cvault then would be that there is no pouch for mounting the Boveda pack in the lid. That makes no difference though.
What's difficult would be finding a suitable lid and making it air-tight I suppose.

Anyway, I myself went with plastic containers I collected from foods, yoghurts and stuff like that.
They are air-tight, light-proof (to a certain extent) and large enough. After having them washed they are odorless etc.

This way I saved the money on the mason jars and don't have to stress about having a dark place where I can cure.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi View Post
I think a SS pressure cooking pot would work just as good as a SS cvault and is much cheaper and could be gotten much larger.
One would have to make a plug for the pressure release valve but a rubber oring and SS nut and bolt should do the job.
I was mainly curious if the cbaults worked and it sounds as if they do.
Can you put freshly harvested and cut colas in them with a few packets and open them a month later with properly cured products?
I could see them working if product was fully cured first but advertisements say throw colas in them the moment they're harvested and a month or so later they're done.
You put dried bud in the Cvault.
Harvest >hang>cvault to cure

Then you can store in cvault or move to mason jar.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:28 PM

That makes more sense.
I found a 8 quart for under 10.00 and a 12quart for under 15.00 in food grade stainless steel in regular store in kitchen ware.
One could use magnets to keep packets on lid and a clamp made out of many different things.
If needed a gasket is easy to make just make sure its food grade.