Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 8. After the harvest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2016, 07:56 PM

Default A few questions about machine trimmed buds

Hello friends!

I am considering buying a trimming machine to cut down my trim time. With a couple dogs, an awesome woman and a full time (and then some) job I am constantly running out of time to do my conventional dry trim routine.... the solution appears to be a wet trimming machine.

I am looking at one of the bowl trimmers but that is besides the point...

So, let's say I get a wet trim machine. I cut my buds off the branches, put them in the machine and crank it. I will them have single bud clusters that are "nicely" trimmed and ready to go onto a drying screen...

Here's my question: how do I prevent them from drying too fast?

I dry trim now because I find that it really tastes and smells better but I think that is due to the fact that it takes almost 2 weeks for the buds to dry when I just cut down the plant and then hang it to dry. I've done wet trim before and it dried in under a week and had very little smell and taste.

Who has experience with a machine? How do you slow down the dry? Any tricks?

I look forward to any input on the subject.

Thanks and stay hazed,
Jake

Obey the nature of things, and you will walk freely and undisturbed.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:37 PM

Hi bro hope things are well.
Hanging the drying rack into a space where you can control the humidity is the trick.
Are you talking one to two P or 15+?
Once you start getting the bigger numbers you really need a whole room you can control the humidity and ventilllation. Mine isnt ideal but I sacrifice the grow space since I have the ability to control temp, humidity and ventilllation as well as odour in there. Not ideal as everything must wait but better than building another controlled area in my situation. A small grow tent that you can seal with a hygrometer and ventillation you can manually control will do the trick. I try to keep the humidity in the space in the 70's but really it is done by "feel".
Old 07-07-2016, 03:14 AM

Howdy Professor,

Thanks for posting, much appreciated.

You just placed the remaining pieces in my head!!

Here's my plan:
Utilize my current drying tent and exhaust fan and just add a hygrostat to control the fan while I have the flowers in the drying nets. Set the humidity nice and high as you stated and I should be golden.

Perfect! I don't know why I needed to see your post before that clicked into place.

You rock dude.

Stay hazed!
Jake

Old 08-03-2016, 01:42 PM

The density of the plant generally dictates dry time. I find 21C and 50% humidity works best for me. Feel is important. Those thicker buds may feel dry on the outside... Aloha M
Old 09-12-2016, 11:44 AM

I take the leaves off just before I grind it up. 10 or 20 seconds work every time I want to vape some
Old 09-12-2016, 12:38 PM

As a sidenote:
I find it illogical to go through all that trouble growing and tending the herb and then letting a machine do the trimming.

But I am sure you considered that already as you have stated you want to go that route out of necessity.

So I wanted to suggest this:
Maybe switch your production from herb to bubble hash and other concentrates?

If your main goal would be producing for example bubble hash instead of flowers, then you could cut out the trimming altogether (or most of it anyway) and just freeze both herb and leaves fresh/wet.

From what I gathered this is the best state of raw material to make bubble hash with.

Making the bubble is still a labor intensive step and takes some time but this way you could decide when you do it and don't have to worry about the herb getting too dry if you don't get to trimming it this weekend or whatever.
Catch my drift?

It just pains me to think of the good resin you carefully produced over months with much manual labor only to loose it to the claws of this or that machine
Old 09-13-2016, 12:56 PM

I think using a trimming machine will take your A grade weed to mid grade weed personally. I don't really know for sure by personal experience and I'm sure some machines are better than others. But my weed is always better than machine trimmed weed just never tried one personally. I know they do have some that dry trim now those might be better. But there are big time growers out west and they hire trimmers and only logical reason can be is that hand trimmed is better.

They do cut the time down but if it worked great nobody would hand trim let alone pay people to trim but people will still buy Mexican weed.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:47 PM

Howdy friends!

Thanks to all for your input!

I had a chance to try out a friend's trimmer which is larger and a bit more aggressive than the one I will purchase. I noticed that my trimmed buds had the typical machine trim cuts on them, meaning I lost any foxtails or any odd shaped buds were trimmed to a uniform profile.

While the trim sustained noticeable damage(trichs separated from leaves) the buds did not!
The flowers still had all their trichomes attached, heads and all, as verified by me. I looked through the loup before and after and saw very little damage to the resin.

In my opinion the "trimmers ruin your crop" idea is greatly exaggerated.

I will move forward with the trim machine if I NEED to. I did my first trial run with wet trimmed buds and got the dry time up to a week using the setup I mentioned above but the flavor was definitely lacking. Dry trim really is much better in my experience thus far.

I've made a few new friends who are willing to work as a trimming crew so I may go that route instead and just depend on my wife to make sure the buds get trimmed and jarred at the proper time while I'm away for work.

Or, I may abandon the out of town gig as it is not as lucrative as I had hoped.

A lot is still up in the air!

Stay hazed brothers and sisters!
Jake

Old 10-04-2016, 08:43 AM

It seems these machines might work well enough with harder buds. Some of the more delicate buds don't hold up well. There can be a lot of waste even tho this goes for other product. Hand trimmed is best IMO. Not to mention the fudge parties are a hoot. It is also part of the ritual for me to handle my plants, my medicine with this extra love. I'd use the savings for more seeds or maybe some hash screens.

Aloha
M
Old 10-05-2016, 09:29 AM

I also really look forward to hand trimming my buds.

I remember from my first go around how I was all giddy and couldn't wait for the day. Cleared my schedule and all, 2 buddies and 5 plants, lot of smoking and chilling.

After it was all said and done I can remember thinking "man, this is actual labor, there must be a way to do this easier!".

I probably will arrive at that conclusion again but for now, I am really looking forward to it. 1 or 2 helpers and it should be a blast if enough time is freed in the schedule.

If it becomes too laborious again after a while, I will look into machines as well and hope that they have improved a lot by then.

As it stands I agree with the simple explanation given above:
If machine trimming would indeed not considerably downgrade your bud, it would be standard practice in the US by now to machine trim.
But they still pay people to trim by hand for their dispensaries etc. so there simply must be a noticeable downgrade in quality.

If hand trimming becomes too laborious to me and machines haven't made a quantum leap, I will go with my plan B and just stop producing bud and switch to producing bubble hash. If that is too laborious I will build myself a dry sift tumbler and just produce dry sift.

But I like them buds. And I think it's fun to trim even though it's tedious work.