Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 8. After the harvest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2016, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseidon View Post

As it stands I agree with the simple explanation given above:
If machine trimming would indeed not considerably downgrade your bud, it would be standard practice in the US by now to machine trim.
But they still pay people to trim by hand for their dispensaries etc. so there simply must be a noticeable downgrade in quality.

If hand trimming becomes too laborious to me and machines haven't made a quantum leap, I will go with my plan B and just stop producing bud and switch to producing bubble hash. If that is too laborious I will build myself a dry sift tumbler and just produce dry sift.

But I like them buds. And I think it's fun to trim even though it's tedious work.
Lots of big grow groups here in CO use trim machines, and armies of them at that. In fact there is now a booming market for rental trim machines....
That being said I will repeat - hand trimmed is better but not when it comes to potency.

I think you CAN ruin your crop with a trim machine but if you use common sense and follow directions you will still have grade A product and not ruin it. The bud that I used the machine on was some Berry Garcia a cut that was in my stable for a long time. I've probably trimmed 15lbs of that by hand

Both the hand trimmed samples and machine trimmed samples are equally strong! Equally frosty and nice looking. The only difference is smell and taste and I admit that is my fault/lack of perfect drying and curing environment. If I was more experienced curing wet-trimmed buds I think the difference would be negligible. The machine trimmed nugs received just as many compliments as the hand trimmed did and no one seemed to notice the difference.

In a few months I'll do a side by side for all of you internet friends of mine

I can't wait to fire up my flower room again... I'm thinking next weekend my Koala Berry Mum is going in to the big room! She'll be hand trimmed for sure because the smell and stickiness are just to fun to pass up!

Stay hazed,
Jake

Edit- I apologize for my grammatical errors and sloppy sentences. I'm on vacation

Obey the nature of things, and you will walk freely and undisturbed.

Last edited by blowingupjake; 10-06-2016 at 04:02 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:04 AM

A side by side would be lovely jake.

I would assume, from what you report, that machine trimmers simply have made a considerable step forward.

Would be nice to know how hand vs. machine trimmed looks at this day and age.
Last videos etc. I saw was from at least a year ago.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseidon View Post
As a sidenote:
I find it illogical to go through all that trouble growing and tending the herb and then letting a machine do the trimming.
His logic is sound...his time is worth more than a few lost resin glands.

Thank God for trimming machines. Trucking blindfolded street kids and Neo Hippies out to your spot is now a thing of the past. Just buy it a drink, or, plug it in and it works all night. It doesn't talk to me, doesn't use my toilet, it doesn't eat my food or take a million smoke breaks. It has job to do and wants to do it. Can't say that about any human I've ever hired to do it.

Cheers,

Hunglikeafruitbat.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:35 PM

i recently came across this machine (online) :

Tom

and it reminded me of my DIY pollinator, which was built within 2 hours and did cost me less than 100 euros

so, just rip off the nylon for hash and replace it with an appropriate big hole gentle screen ...

thats it ...