Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 8. After the harvest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 08:02 AM

Don't have results yet. Maybe next round or could be end of the year, haven't had the funds/time to purchase a nofrost freezer yet
Also battling a fungus gnat (or maybe root aphid) infestation which has taken top priority for the past months.

But in the thread over at IC people have shared their results!
Old 01-15-2017, 05:12 PM

What I can tell about the "cold-method" is that for me it worked quite well. And it works.

4 yeras ago I was living in Fuerteventura, Canary Islands . Ilived there 2 years. What is pretty common in Fuerteventura is the strong dry wind all year long and very high temperatures during july august and september, especcially in mid august. I was working as a cook in a restaurant and growing weed. Ilived with a mate had 4 mothers in a grow tent and 45 clones flowering outdoor. In canary Island there are some acclimated genetics that you can clone, veg a bit and put outdoot they will start to flower in 3 weeks. So what we had during august 2013 was a joke of nature. We had 48 celcius during the day and 38 celcius during the night for 20 days. I remeber that I was harvesting a clone or two...putting them to dry in the morning and the morning after was completely dry as fuck...too much dry..all terps gone and the buds like straw. We were in a complete emergercy considered 20 small clones to harvest in a week with theese temperatures and no air-conditioning!!! So we decided to cut all the buds and let them dry in the empty fridge we had in the kitchen! Yes!! we dried all our harvest in the fridge in 40 days. I mean...chopped the bud and putted direclty in the fridge. We did that because when I opened the empty fridge the only thing that was inside was a carrot that I forgot like 2 months before in it. I worked in a restaurant with my mate so we didn't need nothing fresh to eat, we did the breakfast lunch and dinner at restaurant and never used the fridge, only for fresh water or cola, ecc. The fucking carrot was completely dry but with a nice orange color yet, I looked at this fucking carrot and smelled it...it smelled very good...and that build the crazy idea in my brain...I tasted the "cool-dryed carrot" and the taste was exacly like a fresh carrot!!! My friend tasted the carrot and opened his eyes immediately!! We took the decision in a few minutes and done it.
What I can say is that after 40 days of fridge we putted the buds in the jars and conserved in the wardrobe. First smoke was a week after the jar. It was the best smoke of my time in Fuerteventura and the neighbourgs appreciated it so much. the strains were : Sugar Loaf, Sugar loaf x Old Critical mass, Kick ass(clone only) and OG Cheese x Sugar Loaf(clone only). The bud was so green to see but at the same time so cured in the taste ..I can't describe it. The only thing to notice is that the fridge had a very good fan into it and for me that was the special thing that made all the drying process possible. Another thing is that you must have your fridge clean and empty otherwise you will have your buds smelling like the aliments in the fridge. I still do it with the best colas now. I dry and cure with the jars the small flowers and "cool-dry" the top colas. I really think that the "cool process" let the plant dry in a way that we not understand for now and for me it is better than 24 celcius and 50% humidity for 10 days. I'm from Itlay...and the best wine here is called "Passito" ..is producted with special wine strains and the bunches dry in a cool and dark place untill mid december before to be pressed. I suggest to every one to try the hash made from "cool-Dryed" colas let stand for a week in a jar. I suggest 210 microns. Try that taste and after you decide. Hash made from beating like maroccans...try it...and let me know...
Old 01-20-2017, 01:52 PM

I think the secret in this is that the cold temperatures are not so cold that they rupture any cell walls or the like but so cold that they considerably slow down the drying/curing process.

And just like with cooking, it can surprise how much difference it makes to take things slow and draw out a process like cooking/curing.

People are just recently coming back around to that kind of thinking in our western cultures because for several decades we always thought "faster, more efficient" and that kind of stuff.

Oh and you mentioned a good fan:
From what I understood, this is key in the freezer cure, good air circulation and that the cooling is not done by cooling elements but through cold air being blown into the area and replaced regularly. This is essentially an automation of the "burping the jars" process.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:37 PM

I totally agree with you in everything you responsed me! have a nice day!
Old 02-26-2017, 04:15 PM

my biggest problem was that the freezer - sometimes freezer fridge combi - wasnt clean enough, thats probably the case with 99% of us, as most dont have only a freezer for buds, there is meat inside, veggies, ice cream etc etc .... and i got cross contamination, its not really yummy when your buds smell of spinach .. i love spinach, but to eat , not to smoke .. lol

so a big defrosting action with some cleaning action is needed before using this method, thats my conclusion, especially with longer inside freezer times

besides that, i love this method and support everyone at least trying it out once, as you can only win
Old 02-28-2017, 02:04 PM

Good point deran, I am quite sure that contamination could be a real problem and obviously you don't want any mold spores and the like in corners or around the rubber insulation of the door or whatever.

So yub, cleanliness would be at a premium, particularly if it is not a freezer dedicated to bud only.

I too will have to share my freezer with household items once i get it but I get half of it dedicated for bud. I planned to simply take the top 3 drawers so that taking out food and the like will not have much of an effect on the bud (nothing would fall down on it from a top drawer when taking something out/putting something in).

What is highly inadvisable is sharing drawers in the freezer with bud and other foods. A freezer dedicated solely for bud would likely be the best solution (and I might just put my foot down and claim the nofrost freezer for myself and buy another small, regular freezer for the wife's food n stuff ).
Old 03-15-2017, 06:43 PM

I read that thread on IC and was just about to harvest some some plants (Schnazzleberry 2.0). I thought, what the heck, and after 4-6 days hanging in the garage, put some of each bud in the freezer for 10 days. I rolled a joint from it at the end of this, and now I am a believer. The taste was superior to what I have been getting from conventionally dried and jar cured buds. The texture was perfect. The smell is outstanding.

Everything went from the freezer into the jar with some Boveda packs, so there is still an aspect of jar curing going on. But right from the freezer, the buds were outstanding, and it took very little time.

This is now my standard practice, when I have room in the freezer. I know that people are very loyal to their long-perfected drying/curing practices, but I am not. This takes the pain away completely, and gives me smokeable (smokes like it is cured) bud two weeks after harvest.

One point to note: freezers seem to ventilate into the fridge, so opening the fridge was opening up a powerhouse of cannabis aroma for several days. I kind of like this. Also, we were cooling some cookies in the freezer, and they picked up the scent of fresh cannabis. This was kind of cool, too, but not at all what my wife was expecting...
Old 03-16-2017, 06:30 AM

just bc i can ... lol

slow freezing makes big water-ice-crystals , visibly rupturing cells like an exploding air-baloon
and producing mush

on the other hand
shock frosting/freezing , meaning very fast temperature changes into the "minus" region, makes very small water-ice-crystals , of course , also rupturing cell walls, but more gently and not producing mush consistency

had to post this, so that no info gets lost into the realms of inet
Old 03-16-2017, 09:44 AM

Hey Vajra,

thanks for sharing your experience!!

Your freezer was no-frost I take it?

Only 10-14 days, wow. From what I had read on ic, I was under the impression we are talking 21 days plus for the freezer cure. Nice one bro!
Old 05-09-2017, 03:44 PM

Hey Broseidon

sorry for the long delay, I never checked back in. My freezer is part of a combo, a bottom-mount, and yes, I think it is frost free.

I am about to do a second round with various strains. My experience now has me drying the buds a little longer on the front end. Dry on the outside, but spongy. This takes 5-7 days in my locale. then into the freezer they go, on a baking sheet or in a paper bag. After 10 days I check them, and if they seem ready, remove them. But most of them have stayed in longer, up to a month (for no particular reason other than not having time to do anything with them and knowing that a few extra weeks in the freezer will not harm them.)

What surprised me the most is how slowly the buds dry. You don't put them in wet, of course, they need to be somewhat dried already. But they do not freeze, and they do not become brittle, even after a month in the freezer. It really is an impressive process. Give it a try!