Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 8. After the harvest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2014, 08:52 PM

Default Pressing Into Bricks?

So, aside from bag appeal, is there any draw backs to pressing your medicine into bricks? I'm interested in doing this for easy storage. Tired of having dresser drawers full of jars. Also, what is the best way to compress it?
Old 09-14-2014, 10:35 PM

Jeesum, how much do you smoke? I do use jars but after they are cured I press as much herb as I can into the jars. If I have quite a bit I'll put some of them away in the bottom/back of the 'fridge. But it's not too difficult to build a frame to pack the weed into bricks and use weights to press it down, then wrap with cellophane or foil. That will press it enough to store easier.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:38 PM

I'm sure it will impact potency. pressed flowers will destroy resin heads causing them to be damaged and lost. Also pressing dry would be difficult, and pressing wet would impact drying and curing. So taste and flavor would also be impacted from pressing. I have seen people buy storage Rubbermaid bins and store in those.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:06 AM

G`day BDD

Turn it into concentrates .
10-15 % of dry weight . The resin glands are the active ingredient . If space is an issue . Hash it .

Happy now elmer?
Old 09-15-2014, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezy View Post
I'm sure it will impact potency. pressed flowers will destroy resin heads causing them to be damaged and lost. Also pressing dry would be difficult, and pressing wet would impact drying and curing. So taste and flavor would also be impacted from pressing. I have seen people buy storage Rubbermaid bins and store in those.
Lost to where? It's an oil, it wil just press into the herb. Also, I think you can press it dry no problem. I've tried rudimentary methods and it works fine dry. Granted I'm not talking the kind of ultra compressed machine pressed bricks you see from Mexico.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelhandle View Post
Jeesum, how much do you smoke? I do use jars but after they are cured I press as much herb as I can into the jars. If I have quite a bit I'll put some of them away in the bottom/back of the 'fridge. But it's not too difficult to build a frame to pack the weed into bricks and use weights to press it down, then wrap with cellophane or foil. That will press it enough to store easier.
Shove-that's a bit of a rude question. And for your information, I hardly smoke at all which is why it accumulates like it does.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:53 AM

Some of the best hash in the world is made from fresh frozen material. Resin heads will explode, and break off from aggitation. Thats why they freeze it to preserve the resin gland. So if you press dry a lot of the crystals will break off the head of the resin where most of the thc is. If you do is wet again drying properly will be hard. Mm has a good point if you wanto keep it make some kind of concentrate. If you like flowers better keep a little bit vac sealed for a small area.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:31 AM

G`day Weezy

Oxidization is not our friend .
That`s why hash was made into balls . To increase the surface area . That shape allows a crust of oxidised material to protect the inner core from degradation .

Pressing the flowers will rupture the trichs and speed up oxidation .

Sifting or Bubble is prolly the most gentle on the trichomes .

Happy now elmer?
Old 09-15-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDogDad View Post
Shove-that's a bit of a rude question. And for your information, I hardly smoke at all which is why it accumulates like it does.
What exactly was rude???

Thin skin?
Old 09-15-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDogDad View Post
Pick up the pace