Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 8. After the harvest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 02:45 AM

Default re:

I did this once and the bud turned out nice. It can work just as well as hanging but hanging is more space efficient and frees up the grow space.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest View Post
The difference is that when you cut the stem, the plant will die and the drying process will start
By leaving it in the pot, the plant remains alive, and instead of drying, it will deteriorate in health and wilt.
Thanks again for clarifying, and again I have to say that I think you're probably quite right. However, I am still curious what you base this on? Do you have scientific evidence for what you say, or what is this based on? Apologies if I am not easily convinced. As I said, you're probably right and in a way I am fine with knowledge which is "just" based on experience and such. Just want to know what sort of knowledge we're talking about here. Not questioning your knowledge and skills as such. You mentioned something about "converting sugars" which made me think that maybe you have some proper knowledge of plant biology that may be underlying what you say?

I also wonder about people growing in hydro: Would there be a difference between cutting off the roots when the plant is removed from the hydro unit to dry, or not cutting the roots before hanging the plants to dry? A kind of "middle case"..

(Of course I know that there is not clear scientific evidence for everything.. just wondering if there is, in this case.)

Love and respect,
Nexus

Last edited by nexus; 01-31-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:03 PM

I don't see the point in not trying this. Nothing that's been said in this thread has been proven. I mess around experimenting with this each grow and it never gave bad results.
In nature the plant automatically starts wilting when it's done flowering. Leave some plants in full soil outdoors, they will wither if you give them water or not. Shortening days, finishing flowering = the plants roots don't take up water or for some other reason, the plants just die. It can sometimes be rejuvenated by putting it back in veg time lighting. Otherwise it will just die. Buds suncure on the plant. I've let plants pretty much dry out, wither and die in a corner of the tent with less intense lighting and the top of buds(dried most) was smokeable straight of the plant, already lost most of the green color.

I most of the time put my plants in the cellar in the dark when they're done. For 24 hours at least. I read they keep converting sugars, clorophyl and other stuff and THC keeps increasing. This makes sense. THC is always highest after night I've read, best time to harvest is before lights go on. So I think leaving it in the dark will not detoriate/ripen the trichomes further as upposed to it being in the light. Besides it gives less pressure for getting the trimming job done which can be a pain.
When you cut a plant and dry it it doesn't know it's dead. If you're fast enough you can take cuttings or reveg.At a certain point it's too dry and is "dead". This first drying stage, which is actually the curing stage imo, is where clorophyll, sugars and other stuff is converted to better tasting stuff.
Stretching this as long as possible is something I've experienced with many times, with good results. It's important not to dry too fast and leaving the upper part of the plant whole or even the complete plant will make sure this won't happen. If you cut branches and trim it can dry too fast, leading to uneven drying or not enough clorophyl being converted. This can be somewhat fixed by a tedious long "jar-burping" cure method. Buds from the old days were often golden or black. Never green like most buds nowadays is. I believe this is due to a really good (wet) curing process where the clorophyll is completely destroyed, and in the case of black/brown weed, due to a fermenting process. One of these techniques was dumping wet branches on a pile, turning it around every now and then. Or wrapping in leaves in some kind and then drying. It all comes down to slowly, slowly drying. Keeping the plant material "alive" until it eats all the nutrients and clorophyl remaining, resulting in color loss.

Last edited by sprinkl; 03-21-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:40 AM

Default I agree

[QUOTE=sprinkl;179887]I don't see the point in not trying this. Nothing that's been said in this thread has been proven. I mess around experimenting with this each grow and it never gave bad results.
In nature the plant automatically starts wilting when it's done flowering. Leave some plants in full soil outdoors, they will wither if you give them water or not. Shortening days, finishing flowering = the plants roots don't take up water or for some other reason, the plants just die. It can sometimes be rejuvenated by putting it back in veg time lighting. Otherwise it will just die. Buds suncure on the plant. I've let plants pretty much dry out, wither and die in a corner of the tent with less intense lighting and the top of buds(dried most) was smokeable straight of the plant, already lost most of the green color.

I actually had this happen to me with a plant that was stuck in the back of my grow room. I had like 30 plants in a 5'7"x3'8"x7'8" grow room doing a sea of green. It died and dried out in the pot while the others finished flowering. When I went to harvest them, I noticed this one was done. It was very very sticky and gooey, had a nice ripe smell and was ready tgo smoke right off the stem of the plant. I though this was crazy but the weed was phenominal. Have I done this since? Nope. Will I try it again? Maybe. I usually harvest, then take the bud upstairs to an empty room, pull the shades, run my clotheslines.....I use 3M stickems.....to attach the ropes to. They stick to the walls and then you pull the tab, it releases the sticky and it comes opff the wall no holes and no marks.....I hang the whole plants upside down with a fan circulating this room(Room is 12x14)not blowing on the plants. I come back in 1 week, check them turn the fan down, give it another week, then I start to manicure a little and smoke to see where we are. I usually trim and move them to brown bags and then to glass wide mouth mason jars KROGERS or Winn Dixie sells them for 12 bucks a case. I have about 35 plants coming out of the flower room soon and I will try some various methods....I like to make hash, so if I damage or fuck them up it is all good in the hash....I use bubble bags and ice extraction for this. Hope this helps.
Respects,
W1
Old 04-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
One thing that I have always wondered regarding the initial drying of the plant, before curing... If growing in soil, is there any particular reason not to just let the soil dry out, turn off the lights in the growing room, and let the plants dry right where they are -- standing upwards in the pots? This may of course be impractical if there are several rotating grows in the same grow room, or if the plants are not finished at the same time for other reasons, or if the grow room should be directly used for the next grow, and so forth, but if we disregard such "external" reasons for avoiding this method and just consider the idea of letting a plant stand in the pot when it dries... is there anything wrong with doing so? Any reason not to do it?

Seems to me to be pretty convenient as you won't need to hang the plant at all or do anything in particular. The pot will serve a bit like a "tripod" (don't know the proper word in English) while it dries, and air flow will presumably be good around the plants, and afterwards you just cut, trim, and go directly onto the curing.

Any thoughts on this?
I did this once because I had to go out of town on short notice. When I came back 2 weeks later, 5 (of 6) plants were perfectly dry and ready for jars. However, 1 of the 6 did not make it and was completely withered. I had no choice, so I was happy not to lose my whole crop.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:44 PM

i do this pretty regularly. in my set NFT setup the plants are small enough to go under the hydro system in their pots. i leave them their in the semi dark for a week till the soil is bone dry then i chop. i have left them on the roots all the way till dry a few times, no difference really.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:53 PM

Question

I usually cut the fan leaves and the main stem without hanging them upside down. I really don't see any benefits in hanging the plant upside down. Maybe someone could shed some light on this?
Old 06-24-2017, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkadm30 View Post
I usually cut the fan leaves and the main stem without hanging them upside down. I really don't see any benefits in hanging the plant upside down. Maybe someone could shed some light on this?
No benefits really, sometimes I don't bother to cut when I don't have time to trim but it takes a lot longer to dry and I often end up cutting and hanging to get it done but it just gives me extra time so my buds don't end up crispy dry.

All depends on the quantity to trim for me mostly because I very rarely have help trimming only one person I really trust but he thinks he's a pro because he trimmed out west for a year and I don't think he does a great job quicker than me but not much and I do a better job for free.

I will also cut the fan leaves and stems and start the cure occasionally just because the cure is more important than the trim and it takes time to process a few pounds the way I like it I don't like any leaves at all really half a leaf is fine but I trim it beautifully.

Basically it don't matter much what you do just don't over dry.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:07 AM

I used to cut plants and hang then upside down, but I find it is not needed and takes up a lot of space. These days I cut the plants at harvest time and remove the large fan leaves. I cut the tops to 6 to 8 inches in length and set them flat in shallow cardboard trays (soda can flats). I turn them once a day and dry them in cool place out of the sun until the sugar leaves are dry to the touch. Then I trim back the sugar leaves and put the tops in paper bags for curing in a back room for about 2 months, leaving the bags open at first and then folding the tops shut as they cure.

Works for me.

Last edited by Big Sur; 06-24-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:10 AM

That is what have always done. Cut the girls down, hang them for about 5 -7 days, put into paper bags for another 2 - 4 days and finally into jars for at least 3 months. Those are all approximate times as the actual times vary depending on the rate of drying. But those are average.