Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 8. After the harvest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannatari View Post
When you trim wet, the pith leaks out of the vegetation and onto the buds which causes the smoke to be harsh.

Peace.
pith? Please enlighten cannatari! Is this like chi?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:34 PM

From what I've read "Pith" is a structural component that contains and the nutrient solution or what you might think of as sap. So I guess when the pith are damaged the nutrients or sap can leak out.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:37 AM

Only when I gotta split that shit with a partner and nobody can be trusted to dry it themselves. I like to trim the fans off and let the rest dry a few days before doing a thorough trim in an ideal situation.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:07 AM

I'm telling you man, don't trim. If anything pull the big fans only.

My advice would be hang for 2 - 3 days untrimmed. Then pull only big fans off.

At this point I would put them in a covered cardboard box. Reason being, the air circulating around a hung plant is much greater than if it were in a box.

Give it a try
Old 12-16-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puday View Post
I'm telling you man, don't trim. If anything pull the big fans only.

My advice would be hang for 2 - 3 days untrimmed. Then pull only big fans off.

At this point I would put them in a covered cardboard box. Reason being, the air circulating around a hung plant is much greater than if it were in a box.

Give it a try
Senor(a?) Puday, I'm going to test your theory on my Shit plant #1. She had a visit from the Reaper yesterday morning, and is hanging (four main colas) with all her leaves intact. Also did this with the main bud from an Attitude freebie Raw Diesel.

As a 'control' I snipped a couple minor buds off, and trimmed them up as I normally do: A pretty close trim, including about 2/3 length of the 'sugar leaves,' prior to any drying. Pretty much off the hanger dry & into the jar was my previous MO.

I can live with a little more crunchy mess trimming some air-dried buds if the resulting smoke is that much kinder. It's not like we're dealing with bales of the Shit over here, yet, and the raw air-dry fresh popped from #2 and #4 is Fruity Pebble goodness.

So in awhile I shall report back with some smoke reports: This inagural run of Shit is my equivalent of 'holiday baking' and shall be almost entirely gifted away.

Last edited by UnpossibleOne; 12-16-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:57 PM

^^^
That method works well.
My method
-I usually trim the fans/suns only previous to drying*
-Dry for 5-10 days depending on RH
-Place in a paper sack and continue drying/curing process for another 2-6 weeks, letting flavors and aromas develop without over drying.
-Place in an air tight container for storage.

* The sugar leaves will lose their turgidness and fold down (or can be rolled down) over the outside of the buds thereby protecting the trichomes from damage during storage and while handling.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King Park View Post
Stick A Box Of Apples Or Bananas In Your Drying Room. The Fruit Releases Ethylene Which Helps In The Curing/Drying Proccess
To Tired To Fully Explain. Just Something I Remembered
JKP
Yep, I have heard about the banana trick, and read about the reason why it works too..seems legit..

If I want my smoke to taste better, I cut the plant at the base of the stem after flushing for a week.. then hang upside down on a clothes horse..(lol)

wait several days, keep checking on it.. and then triom once ready.. IT does take much longer to dry this way, and yeh it can be worse/harder to trim after its dry too sometimes.. If the weed/plent looks like it will be a pain to trim, I will take off ONLY the parts which will be harder to remove once dry..

If it is 'really' leafy and looks like it will be aproper PITA to de leaf and manicure when dry, I will simply do when wet..lol It is MUCH easier with some weed/strains..
Old 04-16-2013, 04:15 AM

Have always been a total trim at chop guy. Just sitting here after pulling a couple blueberry bushes thinking about leaving all the foliage on. Already trimmed one, we'll see what a side by side produces. That and I really don't feeling like messing with them anymore tonight.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHHG View Post
Nevil recommended to dry plants with the leaves on and that's what I do.
I have not tried this but will with this upcoming harvest. I will post my results.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:46 PM

I hung my plants whole until the stems kind of cracked when you bent them. The first ones I tried this with went into the jars too soon but the second batch was perfect. Some real smooth smoke!

I'll be doing the same with my outside girls, but I'm not sure I can hang the eight footer whole!

Dreamtime 2013
Grail Widow Test
My First Scrog