Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 7. Plants and plant extracts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2018, 11:54 PM

Default 5Haze Kief

As our trim was already dry and cured, I became inspired by this dry ice method.

We already had a set of 7 bubble bags. We used a 5 Gal bucket, 2 packs of dry ice, 90 and 160 micron bags, a clean pane of glass, a pair of protective gloves, and a credit card.

The left pile is 90 micron, right pile is 160 micron.
Now we only need to decide what to do with it Suggestions welcome.

Last edited by thefoetus; 03-31-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:27 AM

rosin or ethanol extraction.

i had some that was nice tan color, almost no green color,
but in solution it was green.
when evaporated the green tint was gone, but the hash was a little dark.

at least with these options, you dont have to worry about any chemical contamination.

i tried to fill a tube and use butane, but it sort of melted down in the tube until it was too dense for the butane/air to pass, and then blasted out the bottom when the filter tore. if you have some buds/plant material/leaf, you could sprinkle a good amount in and maybe keep it from clogging up, but still get a higher return than if you were just spraying unadulterated buds or leaf.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:14 AM

Nice ice hash you got there TF

I`m using cured plant material to make my ice hash. This will turn out more darker color wise, the return is higher most of the time close to 20% and i think the effects are alot stronger.

ethanol you`ll use to make oill or shatter out of it
Old 03-31-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byorn View Post
Nice ice hash you got there TF

I`m using cured plant material to make my ice hash. This will turn out more darker color wise, the return is higher most of the time close to 20% and i think the effects are alot stronger.

ethanol you`ll use to make oill or shatter out of it
Hi Bjorn! Thanks for sharing, it looks tasty. We made a little water/ice hash, from wet trim, around 2.5 months ago. That original hash was darker.
The kief I made yesterday, from 2+ month cured 5haze, was without water/ice (h2o) and used only dry ice (co2).

Why do you suppose our kief is a light beige/green tan? The color is reminiscent of the 'scuff' I smoked in Amsterdam, and the crystals that accumulate in the bottom chamber of those screened herb grinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack hairy
rosin or ethanol extraction.

i had some that was nice tan color, almost no green color,
but in solution it was green.
when evaporated the green tint was gone, but the hash was a little dark.

at least with these options, you dont have to worry about any chemical contamination.

i tried to fill a tube and use butane, but it sort of melted down in the tube until it was too dense for the butane/air to pass, and then blasted out the bottom when the filter tore. if you have some buds/plant material/leaf, you could sprinkle a good amount in and maybe keep it from clogging up, but still get a higher return than if you were just spraying unadulterated buds or leaf.
Hi Jack, thanks for your words.
You had some of what, that was a nice tan color? Kief? If so, how/why do you think it turned out brown? Did you use water? In what type of solution was it green? Are you suggesting the chlorophyl evaporated with the ethanol?
Not sure what you were doing with butane (obvious noob here, so really looking for a 101 at this stage!).

Peace.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:50 PM

Mayby ice-water washes more out of the trim than dry ice alone does. The colors also varies between different plants. I got different colors depending of the micron bags used as you can see at my pic the darkest where the 160 micron the middle was 73micron and the lightest 25micron.

yours really does look very light, like skuff indeed. If you take a closer look at the product with a microscope you can see what structure it is.
The next link is to a duch info site with alot of pictures that i dont want to copy all to here but it will give some idea about colors aswell. lots of good info there about extracts but all in dutch.

https://www.cibiday.nl/hasj-kief-pure-trichomen

I let it rest on the plate for a week in a dark room. After that i`ll put it a air tight jar and leave it as is. I really dont get why people would press it together, its nice to handle it like this, allready crumbled for the spliff.

Please be carefull if your wanna play with butane or ethanol, ive seen a guy burning himself and his house down. Dont underestimate evaporation of butane or ethanol do this outside is my advice. With butane i really would recommend a vacuum chamber to purge the last butane out of the shatter. butane is very bad for the human body. Be safe thats all.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Mayby ice-water washes more out of the trim than dry ice alone does. The colors also varies between different plants. I got different colors depending of the micron bags used as you can see at my pic the darkest where the 160 micron the middle was 73micron and the lightest 25micron.

yours really does look very light, like skuff indeed. If you take a closer look at the product with a microscope you can see what structure it is.
The next link is to a duch info site with alot of pictures that i dont want to copy all to here but it will give some idea about colors aswell. lots of good info there about extracts but all in dutch.

https://www.cibiday.nl/hasj-kief-pure-trichomen

I let it rest on the plate for a week in a dark room. After that i`ll put it a air tight jar and leave it as is. I really dont get why people would press it together, its nice to handle it like this, allready crumbled for the spliff.
Thanks for this Bjorn. You are Dutch?
Yes perhaps the color does vary by micron size, as the 90 micron is slightly lighter than the 160. I'll take a closer look under a 'scope and report back.

Last edited by thefoetus; 04-10-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:25 AM

Finally checked the kief with the scope. It looks like the centre pic (3/5) labelled 'beter' Will be looking for 'beste' next time so look like it will have to be dry sift, according the article.
Planning to buy a set of those 4 frames with different grades of mesh. Can do all our trimming over the screens too.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:51 PM

Hey theFoetus

Yeah man dutch all the way

I dont think your result is so bad, it will still be a fine smoke and good use of all the material!
most of the time my ice-hash extractions are in the region of "goed" sometimes "beste" so i dont think that dry sift alone can reach that quality. But i do think that dry sift is really easy and safely done. I have done it in the past and i used to make two gradations, the first sift done really carefull tapping the screen for a little. Scraping this up for personal stash this is that class a hash i like. The second sift until it tends to get greener from color this the moment to stop or unwanted plantmaterial is coming along. Those screens you mention are really handy!

what is your goal according the extraction? the purest and cleanest?
if you want to make this extration more pure you could still wash it with alcohol

greetzz
Old 04-14-2018, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Hey theFoetus

Yeah man dutch all the way

I dont think your result is so bad, it will still be a fine smoke and good use of all the material!
most of the time my ice-hash extractions are in the region of "goed" sometimes "beste" so i dont think that dry sift alone can reach that quality. But i do think that dry sift is really easy and safely done. I have done it in the past and i used to make two gradations, the first sift done really carefull tapping the screen for a little. Scraping this up for personal stash this is that class a hash i like. The second sift until it tends to get greener from color this the moment to stop or unwanted plantmaterial is coming along. Those screens you mention are really handy!

what is your goal according the extraction? the purest and cleanest?
if you want to make this extration more pure you could still wash it with alcohol

greetzz
Hey Byorn,

I know some awesome Dutch people. I like the sounds of your method. The gentle tapping is sure to keep the plant matter in tact and separate

These are the screens, I almost bought them a few months ago:
https://www.amazon.com/Screen-Frames...pollen+screens

The finer grade of kief (90) is a very nice daytime smoke. Good sativa buzz (yet seemingly muted when compared with the best plant tops). The 160 grade is also smokeable, it has more of a relaxing stone and a mild buzz and does the job in the evenings.

I have some 99% alcohol. How does one go about cleaning it?

I once knew a Unicorn called Bjorn
Old 11-11-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
I used the 160 micron all mesh bag to make hash using the dry ice method. I broke up the dry ice into small pieces
and after one minute shaking the bag plant matter began to come through and after a minute and a half what came out
was not good for smoking. Something I am going to try is after getting the trim cold taking out the dry ice and shaking the
bag without it in an attempt to get a purer product. The next bag I buy will be the 110 micron. I used eight ounces of buds
and trim from the White Widow strain and got thirty five grams of hash...........

Looks cool