Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 7. Plants and plant extracts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 11:47 PM

Instead of alcohol you can use glycerol also known as glycerin. This is a harmless food additive and is very sweet, it can be a slight irritant but nowhere near as much as high proof alcohol. Also instead of waiting weeks for the extraction to work use a bain marie (American's might call this a water bath or double boiler) and heat the mixture for an hour or two. As well as making the extraction this also decarboxylate's the thc into the orally active form, stronger in other words.

As for Sativex they do use alcohol for administration but only a very small amount, enough to bring the viscosity down to sprayable levels, it doesn't burn but does taste pretty nasty though the effect more than makes up for that. It smells like the finest old school hash too. Sativex is better than any tincture I've tried btw, much better, but that's due to the thc/cbd composition that home growers sadly can't replicate. 3-9 bottles per month would be for someone with in very severe pain who doesn't have their own smoke btw, it's very expensive to make so the price is actually not as bad as it would be if sold on the black market. People get it for free in the UK too (you do need to be very ill though).

Last edited by Lurk McGurk; 12-28-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:25 PM

Default Glycerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurk McGurk View Post
Instead of alcohol you can use glycerol also known as glycerin.
I plan on starting a separate thread on glycerine-based tincture in the near future, but liquor is easier to find and most people already have a bottle in their cabinets.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:58 PM

great thread bro, my wife suffers from bad migraines and most of the pills she takes only work for a short time,
we currently grow our own for her medical use(and my recreation) and recently made our first batch of bubble hash and she is addicted but the amount we are smoking wouldn't be good so we have been looking into tinctures
This sounds great would and aniseed type alcohol be a good option would add flavor????
must go its nearly midnight here in Oz
Happy new yeay
peace and Thanks
Old 12-31-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Instead of alcohol you can use glycerol also known as glycerin. This is a harmless food additive and is very sweet, it can be a slight irritant but nowhere near as much as high proof alcohol. Also instead of waiting weeks for the extraction to work use a bain marie (American's might call this a water bath or double boiler) and heat the mixture for an hour or two. As well as making the extraction this also decarboxylate's the thc into the orally active form, stronger in other words.
I doubt if glycerine will work, because the alcohol will also serve as a preservative and it is a much better solvent for the essential oil in Cannabis, which glycerine is not.Most of the cannabinoids in fresh marijuana material are in the acid form and they will solve easily in glycerine, but essential oils only solve in organic solvents like alcohol.
The au bain marie method is not the good method to extract your tincture, because the temp is to high for the essential oil which will evaporate.You must need a lower temp appr 50 C / 122 F to extract your tincture

Namaste

Last edited by Namaskar; 12-31-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namaskar View Post
I doubt if glycerine will work,
Namaste
You could always try it, glycerine is easily available from ebay. I've done it many times and plenty of people have tried it and it works for them too. If I find a suitable method tho' I'll definitely try it at 50C.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:42 AM

Default Sativex ingredients

In addition to THC & CBD extract, Sativex contains three non-medical ingredients:

Ethanol anhydrous
Propylene glycol
Peppermint oil
Old 01-01-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I've done it many times and plenty of people have tried it and it works for them too.
You've actually done it? Successfully??!
Wow. Please can you post some more details.
I've tried dissolving bud in glycerin, but even after 3 months steeping the results were unimpressive - or worse.
I didn't use a bain marie, though, that might be an idea.

Could you also say something on dosage and delivery. Is it undertongue application? What quantity, and for how long to be held undertongue? Onset of effects?

Any other info?
Old 01-02-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
You could always try it, glycerine is easily available from ebay. I've done it many times and plenty of people have tried it and it works for them too. If I find a suitable method tho' I'll definitely try it at 50C.
I have experiences with glycerine tinctures and it is nice for herbs which has constituents easily soluble in water like Echinacea, but cannabis has constituents like cannabinoids and essential oils which are totally not soluble in water, so for this purpose IMO you can better use alcohol.

Namaste
Old 01-02-2010, 09:54 PM

Yes, Namaskar, that's what I'd have thought, too - but I was encouraged to try it on hearing that various people had had success.

Well, if they did, I'm certainly missing something here.
I even tried glycerin/alcohol mixes, but no luck there, either.

My idea was to have a first solution in alcohol, and then to allow that gradually to dissolve into the glycerin, but that didn't work - as the alcohol evaporated it left a precipitate: just as you'd expect with, say, an ISO wash, except that the precipitate was actually left in the glycerin, which did not seem too have the capacity to absorb it....hm.
(Well it IS more suited to water-soluble stuff, as you said)

There must be some way, though...
I might try a long-term immersion in oil.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:17 AM

Default flava

shaunmulok - I think the easiest way to add flavor to a tincture would be with extracts. Be careful adding something hot like cinnamon though.

Using a flavored liquor would work too.

Last edited by HHHG; 01-12-2010 at 01:45 PM.