Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 7. Plants and plant extracts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 06:42 PM

can you give some detail about dosage and effects?

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake"

Language," William S. Burroughs reminded us, "is a virus from outer space."

"I'm not black, but there's a whole lots a times I wish I could say I'm not white"
FRANK ZAPPA
Old 12-13-2009, 06:25 AM

Thanks guys

Everclear is extremely "spicey" and even a drop can seem very hot on the tongue. I like to put some drops in a cup of tea and it goes down smoothly.

The stone is similar to edibles which means there is more body stone than you would get from smoking the same strain. And like edibles too much can cause a very bad experience so you have to experiment to determine your own dosage. I'd start with 1 drop and wait 2 hours and if you need more you can add another drop. Over a few days you can figure out what works best for you.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
I see you have an electric stove there. I wouldn't recommend this if you have a gas stove with an open flame. I know that seems obvious but not everyones light bulb burns bright.
Thanks zz. I added that to the recipe.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:39 PM

you also might want to run a fan over the plate of alcohol and use the lowest temperature possible so the THC doesn't degrade.

That Stuff would also be excellent for cooking 2. ; )

even with supercritical fluid extraction some THC remains in the cannabis pulp - so small partical size and multiple extraction May be indicated. in a perfect world you would be reclaiming the evaporated solvent to use again and again.

one could probably imagine catching the solvent above the plate very much like solar still works (low budget option) in lieu of using some kind of distillation apparatus (a still is good).

a differential or solvent/solvent extraction might also be good if one needed a more pure product or if silica or alumina wasnt available for separation.

i have used supercritical fluid CO2 then alcohol to make pharmaceutical grade products. (supercritical fluid extractors new are about 150K). i have developed a transdermal formulation (but one needs permeation enhancers to get a more desirable pharma profile [ADME - PK - etc. etc.].

BTW - i would love to move to a medical state to help out with growing etc. i also have lots of analytical experience if the whole testing (gc, hplc, and many, many more - my experience is mostly in the pharma industry) thing catches on. please contact me if you would like some help!

Old 12-18-2009, 11:03 PM

i been using a reflux apparatus and petroleum ether to do extractions with this method would be nice if i could get Everclear here.

2b2s

*In compliance with MMMP *
Old 12-22-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHHG View Post
Everclear is extremely "spicey" and even a drop can seem very hot on the tongue. I like to put some drops in a cup of tea and it goes down smoothly.

The stone is similar to edibles [...]
Hm, yes, that would work, but it seems to me that you are losing the whole point of making a tincture, viz., it is usually applied under tongue, and the effects are almost instantaneous and comparable to smoking. You should also be able to monitor dosage accurately like this, which is not the case if you are using your tincture as an edible - effectively you are just "eating" hash-oil dissolved in a bit of alcohol. Might as well just eat some hash.

My understanding is that tinctures are meant for local application, like "Sativex", which is distributed as an under-tongue spray.

I would love to know how they do this, all my attempts so far have been fruitless. Alcohol - as you say - is FAR to painful to use comfortably under tongue, and glycerin (which is supposed to be the other solvent for tinctures) takes forever to dissolve, and does pretty much f/a.

==========

BTW, for British people who can't get "Everclear" (it's actually illegal here and HM Customs will seize it off you if they find it next time you come back from Disneyland) - you may want to try some Overproof rum (check with the Jamaican communities), or some Spiritus (check with the Polish communities). I don't think either is as strong as
Everclear, but they are close.

However, as far as a usable undertongue tincture goes - i.e one that doesn't burn a hole in your mouth - I think we are still pretty much in the dark.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert Lush View Post
Hm, yes, that would work, but it seems to me that you are losing the whole point of making a tincture, viz., it is usually applied under tongue, and the effects are almost instantaneous and comparable to smoking. You should also be able to monitor dosage accurately like this, which is not the case if you are using your tincture as an edible - effectively you are just "eating" hash-oil dissolved in a bit of alcohol. Might as well just eat some hash.

I would love to know how they do this, all my attempts so far have been fruitless. Alcohol - as you say - is FAR to painful to use comfortably under tongue, and glycerin (which is supposed to be the other solvent for tinctures) takes forever to dissolve, and does pretty much f/a.

==========

BTW, for British people who can't get "Everclear" (it's actually illegal here and HM Customs will seize it off you if they find it next time you come back from Disneyland) - you may want to try some Overproof rum (check with the Jamaican communities), or some Spiritus (check with the Polish communities). I don't think either is as strong as
Everclear, but they are close.

However, as far as a usable undertongue tincture goes - i.e one that doesn't burn a hole in your mouth - I think we are still pretty much in the dark.
I've only made it with grain alcohol but I would think that using a high percentage spirit like rum or vodka would make it more comfortable for direct oral use. I'll make it with a less powerful liquor next time and report my findings.

I imagine Sativex is deluted to make it tolerable.

Last edited by HHHG; 12-24-2009 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:04 PM
EnglishSpringerSpaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHHG View Post
Thanks guys

Heh, 'spicey' is an understatement. I tried a tiny amount of it once (like 1/10th of a shot), just out of curiousity, and I would equate it with drinking molten lava. Adding the tincture to a tea sounds like a great idea though.

ESS
Old 12-24-2009, 05:31 AM

Default Sativex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert Lush View Post
My understanding is that tinctures are meant for local application, like "Sativex", which is distributed as an under-tongue spray.
According to Wikipedia "Each spray of Sativex delivers a fixed dose of 2.7mg THC and 2.5mg CBD." With such a small dose and the fact that it doesn't burn means it is probably diluted. The retail price is $125 per bottle and the dosage is between 3-9 bottles per month which equals $375-1100 per month. That's at full retail without insurance. If it was legal in the US and covered by my insurance plan it would probably be around $40/bottle. Still a lot of money for a plant extract that didn't require a hundred million dollar R&D like the synthetic drugs cost.

If you grow your own you can make a month's worth of spray/tincture for a few dollars. I may try making some sativexxx.

Last edited by HHHG; 12-24-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Arrow

hey HHHG

have a look at this (still pretty current - though first published in 2005):
http://tinyurl.com/yeb2u5b

do not forget though that the big cost is not R&D of the product itself - but actually setting up the clinical trails required by the regulatory agencies of each country to register the products as a medicine:
http://www.gwpharm.com/product-pipeline.aspx

all the best,
admini