Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 7. Plants and plant extracts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 06:25 PM

Default Cannabis Oil Recipe Question?

So when making oil using Rick Simpson method the process calls for a solvent. He recommends either pure Naptha or 99% isopropyl alcohol. I have used the latter with good results. However my question is, would a concentrated ethyl alcohol work such as Bicardi 151? Is that a high enough concentration to be an effective solvent? Or would you need pure distilled ethanol like grain alcohol.?
Old 08-21-2014, 06:48 PM

for starters,

neither naptha nor ISO alcohol are advisable for patients to ingest. TOXIC

Ethanol is deffo the way to go. Food grade ethanol, like Everclear, or Spyritus, from Poland... must be 95-96% pure ethyl food grade alcohol.

Bacardi 151 isnt strong enough as a solvent to do a quick wash, but may work well for tinctures. theres actually a great recipe for tinctures called the green dragon method i believe, which calls for Bacardi 151.

make sure you ventilate well, and a proper winterization is done.

good luck

Old 08-23-2014, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxginbcn View Post
for starters,

good luck

Thanks for the info. Yeah as long as the Naptha or Isopropyl is completely boiled off there a shouldn't be any remaining. I've made it with isopropyl before. Seemed fine. No alcohol taste.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:27 AM

If you want to use drinking alcohol then use grain alcohol (Everclear) if you can get it

Last edited by HHHG; 10-06-2014 at 04:13 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxginbcn View Post
for starters,

Ethanol is deffo the way to go. Food grade ethanol, like Everclear, or Spyritus, from Poland... must be 95-96% pure ethyl food grade alcohol.

Bacardi 151 isnt strong enough as a solvent to do a quick wash, but may work well for tinctures. theres actually a great recipe for tinctures called the green dragon method i believe, which calls for Bacardi 151.

make sure you ventilate well, and a proper winterization is done.

good luck
Could you define and explain the winterization process...I usually decarb at 200F for two hours as recommended by Dr. Frankel of GreenBridgeMedical...then I add it to everclear and put just enough everclear in to cover the chopped buds in the jar about an extra inch above. I then put it in the freezer and shake it daily anywhere from 7-21days depending on my needs and put it back in freezer. After the freezer process of atleast a week I will then drain it through a coffee filter. I then have a tincture which I can use sublingually or I can evaporate the alcohol and add it to warm olive oil in the crock pot for 6hrs and allow to cool. Refrigerate so that it doesn't go bad and then make olive oil capsules which a CBD rich variety. Is the freezer the "winterization" process or am I leaving it out?
Old 10-04-2014, 04:52 AM

Hey guys,

Having a go at making this via the rick simpson method.

Now my "green dragon" liquid looks nothing like his in the vid, but i used half ounce of pure bud and his looked like he had a lot of shit in there.

My liquid is more of a kermit the frog green, is this because of the high quality buds i used?

thankyou
Old 10-04-2014, 08:09 AM

Green Dragon is a tincture. The Rick Simpson method is for making concentrated oil. Either way though, color doesn't make a difference on the end product. You just may not have filtered it as finely as Rick does.

Last edited by BullDogDad; 10-04-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:57 AM

What about using olive oil in a crock pot, i dont like solvents at all and pure olive oil like canna butter would be a good delivery control. I will be trying this in a few weeks and will be adding blackstrap molasses to it for the essental minerals.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDogDad View Post
Green Dragon is a tincture. The Rick Simpson method is for making concentrated oil. Either way though, color doesn't make a difference on the end product. You just may not have filtered it as finely as Rick does.
actually colour does make a difference, the more plant material broken down and extracted the greener it will be

a quick wash shouldnt become a green product at all, a long soak and especially if the solvent used isnt pure will result in an end product which has much more plant material broken down/extracted and in turn being green

yellow/gold/clear,black, and green are the most common colours, and the end product difference is quite noticeable even without expensive testing done
Old 10-05-2014, 05:23 PM

Really? Iv'e made dozens of batches of oil and never noticed any major difference in effect based on color differences. In my experience if your solution is green it just means there is still a lot of very fine plant particulate matter present. Straining through cheese cloth will get you that type of solution. If you then take that solution and strain it through something much more fine like a coffee filter, you'll end up with a darker solution and, after boiling off the solvent, an oil that has an amber color when smeared thin on your finger. Also you'll end up with a very fine green powder in that coffee filter.

Seeing as the reason we use a solvent is to extract the compounds from/off of the physical plant matter, if we're speaking strictly chemistry, the plant matter is then rendered inert. Now I rarely do the coffee filter step because it takes a long time to trickle through. When you're making a large batch of oil that can be a serious pain in the ass. But Yowser I certainly don't have all the answers bud. Could you go a little more in depth into your own experience and the differences you notice?