Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 6. Breeders support and information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 06:44 AM

Default Afghan Haze - extreme indica phenotypes?

hey folks, i was lucky enough to aquire some of shanti's afghan haze limited release & found a few nice females in the bunch. of my three phenotypes, one is exceptionally short, with dense flower clustering & thick formation at day 25 or so.

the seed mother of the same plant, in vegetative growth, was exceptionally rich smelling & developed a squat, bush-like structure-- in stark contrast to the other, 5+ foot tall afghan hazes!

my question being, has anyone else seen any extreme indica characteristics in this cross? i'll try to post a picture or two if i get a chance (be warned, i'm a terrible photographer).

Last edited by jim dankness; 12-07-2007 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:25 AM

as promised, here's a few pictures of my two most promising ladies from the afghan x haze cross. notice that they fall to nearly opposite ends of the spectrum, one being a dense 'ghani & extreme sativa.

here's the more afghan:

Old 01-16-2008, 03:26 AM

...and the most hazy of the bunch:

this is a third female, a mostly undesirable phenotype though not without beauty!:
Old 01-16-2008, 03:27 AM

and, just for fun, a couple of other hazes from the garden.

nl5/haze:

nev's haze, from someone elses' seedstock:
Old 01-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Breeder and moderator

Hi

all looks good in your room, well done.

To answer the question about extreme phenotype well with a sample of one packet of seed to choose from you will always find a good mamma to use. The expression of the F1 can obviously be from either extreme so the Afghani side or the Haze side but the majority of the plants should have a spread of contributing genes from both parents. In a sample of 100 seeds I would expect 70 of them to be similar and 15 to go more to one side of the parents or the other,in expression.Of course their genotype are identical but this part of the grow is always exciting.

So the test is really in the beholder and those characteristics you make your preference towards. Let me know how you review the smoke / medical report of the product and take care all the best Sb

"Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner." -Lao Tzu

all the best,
Shantibaba
http://www.mrnice.nl
https://shop.mrnice.nl
Old 01-16-2008, 08:36 PM

short anser no

i got 2 girls bouth of the "hazey" stretchy and verry VERRY tastey !
Old 01-22-2008, 06:53 PM

Thumbs up

Very nice plants jim dankness,

Looking forward to how they turn out for you mmmmmm AfghanHaze,wish I could smell them

Peace JD,and all.

MNS Wish List : NL#5Haze , G13Haze , MangoHaze IBL
Old 02-14-2008, 09:04 PM

hi folks,

sorry for the lack of updates, but as you all well know, life (and plants) get in the way sometimes!

anyway, i just wanted to put out a small grow/smoke report on this indica phenotype. a more comprehensive blurb on the more Haze-leaning phenotype can be found here:
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/showthread.php?t=754

so i'll start by saying that finding an Afghan-heavy phenotype in this cross was a nice bonus. it was pretty obvious in vegetative state that this girl was a bit different than the others. when put into flowering as a rooted cutting, the differences from her more sativa sisters became even more blatant when she topped out at 18 inches while most of the others grew about 3-4ft tall from clone. we chopped our first example at about day 50, but let the rest go until day 65 of flowering to reach full maturity (see picture above).

the finished smoke betrays the origin of this girl: a good example of a mellow Afghani. she reminds me a bit of an example of the Ortega i've grown in her sweet fruity/hashy flavor & mellow buzz. she is certainly not the most lethargic or devastating indica, with less body load in the stone & more cerebral effect than one might expect... perhaps these are the effects that the Haze contributes to this particular example of the hybrid, but her Hazy origins are otherwise undetectable.

as a california medical patient with a recommendation for migranes, i find it well suited towards the alleviation of just such conditions without the physical impairments of most body-heavy indicas. i'm not sure if we'll be keeping her in the garden for the long run, but i'm interested to run her a few more times to see the results (as well as to pollinate her with some skunk & nl5xhaze pollen in the freezer!).

Last edited by jim dankness; 02-14-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:04 AM

Thumbs up

Superb plants Jim , how long did you veg the AfghanHaze and NL5 x Haze for?, i've got an NL5 x Haze on the go just now along with a Super Silver Haze, AfghanHaze is definately gonna be next, peace, Herb
Old 03-02-2008, 09:25 PM

hi herb, thanks for the kind words. all of our hazes are flowered from well-established clones, usually somewhere in the ballpark of 10-12 inches tall (the exceptions being the large plants shown above, which were the mothers from seed).

the oddball indica pheno aside, this seems to keep these rangy sativas at a much more manageable height & doesn't seem to effect the yield negatively. whether we're talking about the AfHz or the NlHz, you're going to see some serious gains in height after you switch to 12/12!