MNS Forums

MNS Forums (https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/)
-   6. Breeders support and information (https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/6-breeders-support-information/)
-   -   Breeding techniques (https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/6-breeders-support-information/5559-breeding-techniques.html)

Nevil 12-25-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

With regards to "keeping Back ups"
or rather safeguarding a strain ,you will have to understand it takes 2 unique P1 parents to create a strain or line.

If those exact plants are not kept alive,then the ability to replicate the same seed is gone as well..

It's a very simple and straight forward concept and practice..
Well said Cabron. The seed backups I keep for breeding IBLs is to make sure I can retrace my steps if I make a mistake. It happens, you loose a trait that you liked or one creeps in that you don't.
N.

Mooner 12-25-2010 01:45 PM

Thanks for the thread Nevil. I was hoping the discussion would start at 'Step 1', but conflicting philosophies and personalities seem to have taken any useful information I might glean and sent it madly off in all directions. Not actually complaining here, just waiving my frustration flag.
Meantime, it'll be another 2 years before I can actually begin any sort of selection or breeding and so bide my time purchasing beans (mostly landrace) and growing them all out for seed. Question - what's the likelyhood that my starter beans originate from a single mother/father pairing? While most here strive for ultimate purity, I find myself embracing ultimate diversity as a starting point with the greatest potential.

Nevil 12-25-2010 02:02 PM

Step 1 is deciding what you like the most. What's you favourite variety?
N.

Cabron 12-25-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooner (Post 80155)
Thanks for the thread Nevil. I was hoping the discussion would start at 'Step 1', but conflicting philosophies and personalities seem to have taken any useful information I might glean and sent it madly off in all directions. Not actually complaining here, just waiving my frustration flag.
Meantime, it'll be another 2 years before I can actually begin any sort of selection or breeding and so bide my time purchasing beans (mostly landrace) and growing them all out for seed. Question - what's the likelyhood that my starter beans originate from a single mother/father pairing? While most here strive for ultimate purity, I find myself embracing ultimate diversity as a starting point with the greatest potential.

This must be your first time??
Stick around,,you havn't seen anything yet!
Threads like these are usually devolved into shit tossing contests
within the first page....

Started with the best intentions ,but then go to shit quicker than a Ginger Video!

Hell ,now that I think of it,,this one did start to go to shit at page 1,,,you had somebody preaching from a pulpit right off! about BS ethics!

I kinda felt ethics were delivering a strain that is accurate to the description given..??? what do I know??;)

nOpe 12-25-2010 02:56 PM

This is the interweb, where the shit fly's high! The trick is to filter and I think smoking herb makes it a lot easier ;).

If you read trough this thread you can clearly see 2 diffrent types of breeding clashing. I am a noob, and I can still see that one half is bottlenecking the good traits via 1on1 matings. While the other group would prever a more natural way of fields of ganja pollinating towards a stable landrace like "in nature" with a little human selection in it.

As somebody who has usually a brutal realistic view AND living in europe, I would sure single out the "natural way". It's not possible over here, no space. What I can do is 1on1 matings. I can try to select a female, I can try to select a male and do the pollination. What I can't do is planting fields of 100's of seeds so... and neither can anybody else. Not shanti, not Nevil. Those day's are over. Authorities and/or criminals will cause loads of problems no matter where you are in the world.

So... the nature's way is more like the "dreamers" way in my opinion. No offence...

biteme 12-25-2010 03:07 PM

this is a topic of great interest to me. about all i can ask folks to do to help preserve the thread is to not comment on a worthless post cause that's when things start going haywire. hey, and i am not excluding myself cause i can be dense at times and say dumb things.

but back to this idea of damaging the gene pool; my purpose for being here at mns or any site for that matter is my quest for genetics and ultimately, a better end product than what i currently own. congratulations to any breeder who contributes to opening the bottleneck but i am pretty sure i am not interested in buying any of that shit? what i do want to buy is seed that produces a uniform line and to this end, a certain amount of expertise is required which is what i believe i truly hunt?

and for those of you with more honorable intentions, i recently noted a fair number of landrace strains being offered in seed form but my question is how does one go about opening things up? is the answer found in some wild matching of various landraces? peace-biteme

Azra'eil 12-25-2010 03:07 PM

cannatari 12-25-2010 03:15 PM

Good thread, Nevil. Thank you for taking the time to share your insight.

I'm curious about the possibility of breeding for seed expression. If a desired pheno could be bred to distinguish itself by "beanotype" you could produce "phenolized" seeds which would be exponentially more efficient at finding a 1:1000 pheno. Is it crazy talk? Maybe time to consider GM?:eek:

nOpe 12-25-2010 03:30 PM

Haha nice canna, bottleneck the traits you want, cross/bottleneck it further for big seeds. Then you should be able to find your "superbigbeanbud" in any seedcrop.

Sounds easy, but probably isn't ;). "superbigbeanbud" must be strooong in passing traits. Like a P1 ...

North 12-25-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevil (Post 79997)
There are a few flaws in the plan. I a 100 plant plot, 50 of them are going to be male. Selecting 40 females out of 50 isn't much of a selection. He states that "The actual number of plants that survive will be much less", but he is keeping seed from the 40 best females, while at the same time selecting for "high THC, high yield, pest resistant, mold and or fungus resistant, (what ever you want)"
He's kept practically everything and open pollinated with everything. Where's the selection?

Second Cycle. He starts again with a 100 plants. What, 2.5 seeds from each of the 40 selected mothers? What is the probability of each mother producing a daughter?
For the first time he culls 50% of the females, but takes a step back again by using most of the males. I wouldn't expect too many mutations.

Third cycle. Presumably he starts with 5 or so seeds from each mother and culls about half of the females, again using most of the males, of which all were fathers unknown and keeps 10 females.

Fourth and fifth cycle are a repeat cull 50% 0f the females each time, but with little male selection.

The guy is an armchair breeder who has wasted 5 years on a bunch of seeds with unknown parentage. Many of the potentially good combinations were lost due to lack of numbers.

The whole plan sounds a bit "Plastiki" to me. Repeating words like "open pollinated" and repeating phases like "while at the same time selecting for "high THC, high yield, pest resistant, mold and or fungus resistant, (what ever you want)", strikes me as glib. Paying lip service to something is not the same as doing it.

I'd suggest that your friend skip the first 5 years of his plan and go straight to his short cut after he has decided what he likes from the many lines available today.

If you friend has impressive weed, I'd say it's because he can choose from 5 crops of 100 plants in different locations and not because his plan has much merit.

I could be wrong, but somehow the story seems a bit, ... contrived.
N.

Nev, thanks for the reply.

I guess you see no merit on recurrent selection?

I would guess part of your response, and part of the derailing of this thread also...is as someone mentioned....

WHAT ARE YOUR GOALS?

My Friend, Myself and most of the folks on my home board are outdoor growers only. as mentioned in the second paragraph of my quote/post, the GOAL is acclimatizing strains to an enviroment...while also selecting for the traits you want.

I read the process as working a bit different than you mentioned in your respone...mainly that the plants that are kept would be a 50/50 split of male/female. at that rate 60% cull first go round, 80 % second, etc.

regardless.... as you mentioned in the opening page...your immediate goal is to breed a plant that will produce quality for the end user(grower) immediately.
thats great...if the plant would actually grow AND FINISH! I'd love to grow your haze, or any number of Shantis strains...and if i did by the end of the season...i'd have 15 foot trees...with no buds and the frost would have stopped me dead.

so my goals are different...at least to begin with... get me to F5 and then I'll select the best 1:1, tuned for my outdoor enviro...

Thanks and Take Care, North

North 12-25-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nOpe (Post 80166)
This is the interweb, where the shit fly's high! The trick is to filter and I think smoking herb makes it a lot easier ;).

If you read trough this thread you can clearly see 2 diffrent types of breeding clashing. I am a noob, and I can still see that one half is bottlenecking the good traits via 1on1 matings. While the other group would prever a more natural way of fields of ganja pollinating towards a stable landrace like "in nature" with a little human selection in it.

As somebody who has usually a brutal realistic view AND living in europe, I would sure single out the "natural way". It's not possible over here, no space. What I can do is 1on1 matings. I can try to select a female, I can try to select a male and do the pollination. What I can't do is planting fields of 100's of seeds so... and neither can anybody else. Not shanti, not Nevil. Those day's are over. Authorities and/or criminals will cause loads of problems no matter where you are in the world.

So... the nature's way is more like the "dreamers" way in my opinion. No offence...

nOpe, I assume your mention of 100s of plants points to my first post in this thread?

I take your point...and would say that in my brutally realistic world. 100 plant grows are safer than growing indoors. and still very possible.

5-10 plants IN my house...would get me 20 years in prison...GUARANTEED!:mad:

100 plants in the "bush" are less likely to be pinned on me...and much safer to me...in my view and circumstances.

but ...i guess once again...as someone wisely pointed out early in the thread...all our experiences and goals are different and we need to be clear about what those are in our questions and answers.

Take Care, North.

GROVER 12-25-2010 04:54 PM

Anger managment

Mr japanfreak,
you might need anger managment i see you fighting with a lot of respectable people on this site like nev he is one of the best marijuana breeders of all times now hes trying to teach us how to breed i think everyone should put there ego"s aside and listen to the man not piss the guy off me myself would love to learn how to breed marijuana correctly

joshuahazen 12-25-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevil (Post 80107)
It's a good point Joshua. Contrary to expectation, a lot of lines just don't click. Even with totally unrelated indicas and sativas, the results are not predictable. For every hybrid that made it into the catalogue, dozens didn't. When you isolated which strains went well together, what still remained was to find the best combination of single parents that out-performed all others. I narrowed down the genepool to the best of the best. Why mix the best combination of plants with the less successful sibling matings. For the sake of someones idea of what's best for the genepool?
People were generally paying me to help them grow the best of what a line or hybrid had to offer. I'm sure I got that part right. All the shit I culled made others champion growers. I loved that job. The gratitude that some people showed, for being able to be in the front row for the first time in their lives was very rewarding.
Most of the work was testing ideas about what went well together and refining it. As far as I can tell, the job is still the same.
N.

I totally agree, for me, it is really about selection. The technical term is Artificial selection. What am I going to keep? I must have some reason for keeping it.

I always have a specific goal or goals in mind. I had one major goal when I started, above and beyond preservation, and that was to create an awesome strain that had the characteristic stonyness and flavor of the NL5Hz but that could realistically be grown outdoors in Northern Cali, and compete with the best commercial outdoor strains in terms of both timing and yeild. What I wound up with was a crazy combination of diverse and versatile hybrids, that outperformed anything I have ever seen, indoors or out.

I found when looking for a "nick" it was almost as important to find strains that had a sort of transparency(referring to genetic recombination), In terms of stonyness, I was looking for strains, which NL5hz could dominate, in terms of flavor, and potency, and effect. I guess I found strains, that meshed really well, while letting Haze dominate the high, yet also offering dominant traits that I was looking for like earlier budding cycle, and even heavier yields, and the trick was finding that strain that allowed for a finished product that was like NL5Hz, with timing, structure and yeild of the best outdoor Cali strains. I also found that with proper selection, the NL5hz offered structure that was superior to the strains it was combined with, and one of the major features I looked for was dominant monoploidal branching in the subsequent clone generation.

Is there anything you have noticed in selection, tips and tricks to finding the "nicks" or other things you look for in compatibility in general or especially, within the NL5hz?

nOpe 12-25-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North (Post 80179)
nOpe, I assume your mention of 100s of plants points to my first post in this thread?

I take your point...and would say that in my brutally realistic world. 100 plant grows are safer than growing indoors. and still very possible.

5-10 plants IN my house...would get me 20 years in prison...GUARANTEED!:mad:

100 plants in the "bush" are less likely to be pinned on me...and much safer to me...in my view and circumstances.

but ...i guess once again...as someone wisely pointed out early in the thread...all our experiences and goals are different and we need to be clear about what those are in our questions and answers.

Take Care, North.

You are right about the "goal" thing and I believe you that it may be possible to grow a field with 100 plants in your country outdoor. I also get your goal to aclimate a strain for better outdoor yield. All common sense. But how much % can you give that you can also harvest those 100 plants? Where fields like that are planted, security is low, criminality is high. That may make it possible to plant and grow, but not to harvest savely.

Maybe Im all wrong here, Im a young guy and havent seen much so... wasnt involved in any big operation :D.

Japanfreak 12-25-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GROVER (Post 80188)
Mr japanfreak,
you might need anger managment i see you fighting with a lot of respectable people on this site like nev he is one of the best marijuana breeders of all times now hes trying to teach us how to breed i think everyone should put there ego"s aside and listen to the man not piss the guy off me myself would love to learn how to breed marijuana correctly

I think you need to realize that I'm here laughing with a smile on my face. I think you need to take some reality classes.

Japanfreak 12-25-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr Rockster (Post 80136)
No of course it doesn't hurt the cannabis genome, the only way to do that is to introduce modern hybridised cannabis into environments where original landraces are grown.

So how do you think it's hurting things?

I see people aren't very good at reading around here. I wouldn't ask a question if I knew the answer.

GROVER 12-25-2010 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japanfreak (Post 80104)
Excuse me? It's a handle on the internet. I do a lot for my fellow man, I would dare bet a whole lot fucking more than you actually. How much of your money goes to charity there big guy? How much volunteer work you do big guy?

Better stick to your groupies seriously.

anger managment needed seriously

Japanfreak 12-25-2010 11:13 PM

You need a brain, a working one.

southpaw 12-26-2010 12:01 AM

Hey Nev,
I got a question for you or anybody who knows. Btw, I am no breeder but I am always interested in the subject.

Regarding the stalk and stems of plants: I have noticed that some hybrids have real flimsy branches while other hybrids have really strong branches. Both types may produce great flowers or buds but for obvious reasons the varieties with flimsy branches need support(Trainwreck comes to mind).

My question is, when selecting, is considering this part of the criteria and if so which side of the parents would be observed to pass this trait on(mother, father or both)?

I have to wonder if strong branching is a trait that has been carried over from non-drug varieties such as hemp, in order to strengthen the overall structure of flower bearing varieties?

Thanks,
sp

Nevil 12-26-2010 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North (Post 80175)
Nev, thanks for the reply.

I guess you see no merit on recurrent selection?

I would guess part of your response, and part of the derailing of this thread also...is as someone mentioned....

WHAT ARE YOUR GOALS?

My Friend, Myself and most of the folks on my home board are outdoor growers only. as mentioned in the second paragraph of my quote/post, the GOAL is acclimatizing strains to an enviroment...while also selecting for the traits you want.

I read the process as working a bit different than you mentioned in your respone...mainly that the plants that are kept would be a 50/50 split of male/female. at that rate 60% cull first go round, 80 % second, etc.

regardless.... as you mentioned in the opening page...your immediate goal is to breed a plant that will produce quality for the end user(grower) immediately.
thats great...if the plant would actually grow AND FINISH! I'd love to grow your haze, or any number of Shantis strains...and if i did by the end of the season...i'd have 15 foot trees...with no buds and the frost would have stopped me dead.

so my goals are different...at least to begin with... get me to F5 and then I'll select the best 1:1, tuned for my outdoor enviro...

Thanks and Take Care, North

Hey North
If early flowering is a goal, that's one criteria that can be applied to males each gen. Otherwise, I'd just take seed from the 5 or 6 best females and plant them in different sections. Take seeds from the best female from every line and over time, cull half of the lines. When you are down to your best 2or3 lines, cross them with each other and start again.
N.

Nevil 12-26-2010 12:57 AM

Quote:

I have to wonder if strong branching is a trait that has been carried over from non-drug varieties such as hemp
Hemp strains are bred for single stems these days.
The only real trouble I had with branching was Big Bud. The weight of the buds caused the branches to break at the stem. You can often pick the branching type in males, although they don't break, no weight.
N.

Nevil 12-26-2010 02:13 AM

Quote:

The buds are truly massive and I am going to have to tie them up or they are definitely going to break. Very nice problem I'd say.
It's a bit like having too much money, it's tough, but you can live with it.
N.

Greezzy Guy 12-26-2010 02:46 AM

Carbon why dont you chill OUT what the hell did i say to you to ofend, you?

WHy dont you shut the hell up!!! I have not said one thing bad.

So why did you tell me to shut the frig up?

That was rude what did i do to you??

I mean really your preaching to the quire man.

I am 100% crystal, clear on keeping P1s , trust me this is not my first rodeo!And I stated my position on fem seeds in the FEM seed post.

But as far as back ups i agree and dis agree, If I loose a good female,for what ever reason, yes i would want daughters from her, but i would still also want somthing from the MoM also that is S1 instead of just an F1,But trust me I am very clear on keeping the plant it self alive at all cost.

ADD.

Hey Carbon .I think your confusing,homozygous,for homogeneous!

Because in 20 years of messing with this plant I have not had any of them ,and I have germinated 1000s of seeds, and have never come across a cannabis plant that past all of its traits not just one or two traits!!

Have ??? any of you and I ask all of you, have any of you?

I can plant 1.5 million heirloom tomato seeds each year, and the next year, and the next year , by just saving the seeds and dropping them the next year, with not one variation in growth or production,They are True breeders,heirloom.(homogeneous)

That my friend is a TRUE breeding plant.And I have never ever seen any cannabis from any seed company that was.

If cannabis was that way ... think here.. We wouldn't be having this discussion, would we? Cannabis as a whole is not out in the open for there to be any real supply of heirloom seeds.

GROVER 12-26-2010 03:57 AM

negativaty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japanfreak (Post 80231)
You need a brain, a working one.

this is what im talking about you are always on the negative side of things not once have i seen something positive come out of you if you dont like it here go some where else were learning to breed seeds not argue with you JP:eek:

Japanfreak 12-26-2010 05:26 AM

I NO YOUR UPSET BECAUSE YOUR PENNIS IS THE SIZE OF A MINI CARROT GOD DOES THAT TO ASIANS SO DONT BE MAD I DONT THINK YOU BELONG HERE YOU MIGHT WANT TO FIND A PLACE YOU FIT IN. I SEE YOU DONT GET ALONG WITH ANYONE YOUR JUST MAD AT THE WORLD MAYBE ITS YOUR SURROUNDINGS WHY DONT U LIVE IN THE USA WHY JAPAN WERE YOU DEPORTED. I JUST THINK IF WE SEEN YOU IN PERSON U WOULD BE VERY QUITE YOU JUST HAVE A BIG MOUTH BECAUSE I CANT GET MY HANDS AROUD YOUR SKINNY FISH EATING NECK GO AWAY

Is this the kind of mail that you really want to sent people here Grover? Grow up dude.

Japanfreak 12-26-2010 06:09 AM

I'm tired of the groupies knee jerk reactions, accusations and threats. Guess we are even.

budding grower 12-26-2010 08:36 AM

well i used to be a smart arse and i can do time spinning on my dick.

wow I'm really proud of that fact,:rolleyes:

done everything from double A cat to working in D cat open prison with a guy whose first name was LORD.

any one can last in prison. its all down to how you carry yourself and how you deal with people.

*WE APOLOGISE FOR THE INTERRUPTION IN TRANSMISSION. YOU CAN NOW GET BACK TO THE TOPIC AT HAND AND STOP FIGHTING YOUR FAM*

REDEYE_420 12-26-2010 09:13 AM

Lets keep it to 'Breeding Techniques' please.

CAN WE NOT SHIT ON ANOTHER THREAD PLEASE PEEPS?

Look, if you don't like what peeps are typing then will you please hit the ignore button on them, it's really boring watching alleged adults throwing insults and derailing threads. If you have nothing constructive to say or add to a thread then please don't bother posting in it at all.

The breeding side of things to a layman (me included) are quite confusing, which is why I think this thread will be a great help to many, so lets keep it educational and not turn the thread into another bitchfest - please?

Hey Japanfreak, why didn't you just PM Nev with your question that you didn't get the response you wanted to? Wouldn't that have been better than all the negativity that has happened since? I have nothing against you mate, your just another human behind a pc screen, I just wish you weren't so confrontational, but then again peeps probably wish I wasn't such a stoner. Guess we can't all have what we want. ;)

Lets move forwards, not backwards.

P.S I'm not a groupie, but I am extremely happy with the MNS product (from forum to seed) - credit to Shanti, Nev and Howard for making all this possible.

P.P.S That PM from GROVER was uncalled for Japanfreak - fuck racism!

Japanfreak 12-26-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fxginbcn (Post 80282)
smartasses dont last a day in prison.... good luck

love an respect

Sorry dude, I don't live in your world. I imagine if I lived in a world where the boys with the biggest guns or least amount of respect for life wins I would keep my mouth shut and not give any opinion that is polar to the majority of people, which would suck because look what the majority is doing with the world.

Now you people have assumed I was being disrespectful to Nevil by asking a question, where I was in my mind giving him a chance because if any of us are honest for a sec and get past our need to look cool on the net, none of us really wants our beloved plant to be hurt and his comments about not giving a shit are more about performing for the audience than anything and I find that a bit disrespectful and dishonest. But I'm actually giving him credit enough to not do something like hurt the gene pool. Sorry that's fucking honesty. Maybe if he stayed to talking about the topic of the thread instead of performing and selling I wouldn't have commented?

Now seriously if you don't want me to give you my opinion don't accuse me of being negative, stupid, weak or any of the other things you people do to prove something to yourselves I don't get.

I mean shit people, I asked him a simple fucking question. And some fucking idiot is talking about choking me? Dip-shits, seriously.

If you noticed he did answer the question already, he doesn't believe he's done any damage and I'm cool with that. I believe him.

Japanfreak 12-26-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REDEYE_420 (Post 80289)
Hey Japanfreak, why didn't you just PM Nev with your question that you didn't get the response you wanted to? Wouldn't that have been better than all the negativity that has happened since?

Since he said it in this thread I was hoping he would answer, obviously others were shocked by the comment, you know this to be true. But I gave Nevil and others too much credit to have the ability to see an honest question for what it is. I have no alternative motive to come to this thread but Nevil's comments offended me, seriously. Sorry if that offends people.

Nevil 12-26-2010 10:24 AM

I deal with subjects in my own order and in my own time. Sometimes a question comes up a few times before I'm inclinded to deal with it. Sometimes I ignore questions because I think the answer is self evident and people need to work it out for themselves. Sometimes I ignore a question because I think that the question is asked to create controversy or confrontation. Sometimes I just ignore arseholes. Sometimes, things just slip my mind.

Whatever my reasons are, they are mine and I'm accountable to no man. I do what I want Japfreak. You truly are a virus wherever you go. Is someone paying you for this or is it just your nature?

I'd like to organise a poll so that people can nominate people and vote disruptive elements out. The results should only be seen by the moderators. If we don't do something, I'll end up spending my time on this shit and I'm not sure I'm willing to volunteer for that.
N.

Yosemite Sam 12-26-2010 11:31 AM

Hi there,
Maybe a tip to move on with this thread...
Close this thread and restart it or renew it.
Ignore the people that wanne boobytrap the thread with all their negative input
If everyone here will ignore them it will stop.
Concentrate on the informative issues of the thread and not on the insults and bad vibes etc..
I'm, as many of you are, very interested in breeding techniques so let's have a ball in sharing info.
Don't focus on the rotten apples, just IGNORE them!
Good luck,
Y.Sam

nuteburn 12-26-2010 11:33 AM

--Deleted--

bushweed 12-26-2010 11:47 AM

No need to confer, just delete...

Doobz 12-26-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuteburn (Post 80298)
Good idea, take out the trash, Japfreak gets my vote for dick of the month.
If the winners in those polls get banned, their account & all their stupid posts deleted, then maybe threads can stay on track instead of being crapped in all the time.

Deleting a user is cool but when you delete their posts it makes the thread real hard to understand as people who have been arguing or discussing with the deleted member look like they are talking to themselves.

I have a few grow diary's in places that a few members posted in and they were deleted. It makes my grow diary's look as if I am a loon rambling onto myself for pages and pages.. aha lol

To be honest I think the shit stirrers and people who create negativity on this forum need to be deleted.. First time give them a warning then just delete em if they give any lip or they do it again.

Its becoming a real pain in the ass having to trawl through pages and pages of whining and winging to find anything remotely interesting. If I want a soap opera and some drama I will turn on the TV..

Be Well,
Doobz

North 12-26-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevil (Post 80240)
Hey North
If early flowering is a goal, that's one criteria that can be applied to males each gen. Otherwise, I'd just take seed from the 5 or 6 best females and plant them in different sections. Take seeds from the best female from every line and over time, cull half of the lines. When you are down to your best 2or3 lines, cross them with each other and start again.
N.

Thanks for the reply Nevil.

Another question if i may....

I've seen many people ask and never seen a serious breeder answer it straight forward....

do you feel certain traits are linked to only male or only female plants?

Like earliness...you mention i should look to the males for that...do you feel thats a sex linked trait or just a matter of timing? (as in the males flower first...so i should look to the first X number of males as one of my selection criteria?)

is one sex more likely to pass whatever trait along than the other sex?

which traits tend to be passed by which sex if any?

(if this has been asked and answered somewhere else here @MrN. by Nev or Shanti could someone point it out)

fumbly wording...still a bit groogy from last night....sorry

oscar the rotund 12-26-2010 02:24 PM

Here's a breeding question. I have two plants each with recessive characteristics that I want. Ducksfoot with a strange look and Short Term Amnesia an autoflower.
I inputted this cross into a Punnett Square calculator. What I wonder is did I input this correctly?
D=Ducksfoot
A=Autoflower
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php...ctureid=529021
According to the calculator. If I did it correctly. Statistically out of 100 seeds 6 will be Ducksfoot and autoflowering. Correct?

Greezzy Guy 12-26-2010 02:28 PM

In your example..Is the Ducks foot homozygous for Ducks foot, or heterozygous?

And same ? for your autoflower.

Or are you trying to find out what i asked?

Azra'eil 12-26-2010 02:28 PM

biteme 12-26-2010 03:02 PM

well, one positive is we are back to you mr. north which is the direction i wanted to follow cause i think we have similar goals. but first, where do you live and i ask because at my 41 degrees i have also been told forever that hazes were out of my range?

the last five or six years, my world has seen drastic changes in the weather patterns with one consequence being a need for new genetics. this is supposed to be a general warming pattern and i believe the season has extended in spite of winters still being very cold? one positive is that for the second year in a row a beautiful autumn saved me after a wet, hot summer had done its damage. and also for the second year in a row it was the late season sativas that did the best.

until five years ago, i had never seen mold on a plant. it didn't happen where i lived and with what i planted. and today with a few exceptions it is the indicas that are hurt the worst. so i started trying a few hybrids and soon learned not to fear any 10 week strain. and i also tasted my perception of haze again for the first time since the 70s on plants that i grew!

mr. north has the knack for breeding that i lack but i believe he is on the right track. others have spoken of this sort of "climatic adaption" in the breeding of hybrids. ime as strictly a grower and buyer of seed, most of these hybs will flower and even finish as demanded by the weather but will ultimately show their discontent through shitty yields. did you ever see a six foot plant with a one ounce yield? that has been my results when i push the limits too hard. peace-biteme