Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 6. Breeders support and information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseidon View Post
True that.

Back then we were deciding between C99 from Bros Grimm (had just been out for a year or two) and AK47 F2 from Nirvana. Went with Nirvana due to budget.

Now that I am "back" and AK47 seems dead, I went with the C99 from peakseeds as many of you might already know from Broseidon's corner.

The idea was exactly what deran said: Basically a "fruitier" replacement for the AK47 in my stable.

However, so far, with only 2 ladies flowered out, the C99 was not it, yet.
Have lots more beans to go through with that strain but so far the 2 I harvested did not convince me. Taste and smell is not fruity and the effect is kind of lackluster.
Still waiting on what the cure will bring out from the ladies but doesnt look too promising atm.

It could well be nostalgia but from what I remember, the AK47 was just more potent. Could have been the particular pheno as well though.

But from the effect, I would agree. The C99 and other sativa leaning hybrids do provide a similar experience. Just not as potent, to me, so far.
Could well be I find a C99 pheno in the future that does perfectly replace the AK though. Haven't given up yet
being the smart ass that i am: hey bro! : its ak48 , when talking nirvana
Old 06-08-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deran View Post
being the smart ass that i am: hey bro! : its ak48 , when talking nirvana
Being the old fart that I am:
It used to be AK47 from Nirvana as well. I purchased Nirvana AK47, not AK48, back in the day.

Serious Seeds then somehow managed to force Nirvana to respect their "brand" or "trademark", I don't know if they were maybe paid off or something or how they managed it.
But at that point in time, Serious had already lost their AK47 parent(s) and the Nirvana AK47 was regarded as superior by many, even if it was just a blatant F2 ripoff by Nirvana. It was still based on the original parents, unlike Serious' "original" which by then replaced one parent with a "The Chronic" specimen which ultimately ruined the strain.

Either way, at that point in time Serious somehow managed to make Nirvana remove their AK47 from the store and replace it with the AK48 which is a completely different strain and has nothing to do with Serious' original AK47.
Ironically, neither did the AK47 Serious was selling from that point in time onwards.

How I wish I had purchased another pack from Nirvana before that all went down...

Oh well.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:47 AM

We will see if this offers any promise. Odd Strawberries is the strain.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseidon View Post
Being the old fart that I am:
It used to be AK47 from Nirvana as well. I purchased Nirvana AK47, not AK48, back in the day.

Serious Seeds then somehow managed to force Nirvana to respect their "brand" or "trademark", I don't know if they were maybe paid off or something or how they managed it.
But at that point in time, Serious had already lost their AK47 parent(s) and the Nirvana AK47 was regarded as superior by many, even if it was just a blatant F2 ripoff by Nirvana. It was still based on the original parents, unlike Serious' "original" which by then replaced one parent with a "The Chronic" specimen which ultimately ruined the strain.

Either way, at that point in time Serious somehow managed to make Nirvana remove their AK47 from the store and replace it with the AK48 which is a completely different strain and has nothing to do with Serious' original AK47.
Ironically, neither did the AK47 Serious was selling from that point in time onwards.

How I wish I had purchased another pack from Nirvana before that all went down...

Oh well.

oh, did i mention that ak47 and ak48 are totally different strains (their makeup)?

Old 06-09-2017, 02:45 PM

Nope, but I did

But it is a really interesting story.

If Serious hadn't forced Nirvana to remove their AK47 F2 from their shop, we might still have the "original" AK47 to this day.

I really can't get over it how a "copycat" company like Nirvana managed to preserve its strains better than household names like Sensi and Serious.

Back then, everyone and their mother was pooping on Nirvana, calling them hacks, thieves, copycats etc. etc.

And today the boards are full with rage and criticism against banks like Sensi and Serious while Nirvana is basically called an heirloom seedbank.

Just so ironic that whole ordeal, never more clear than with the AK47.

What is the AK48 now actually, I forgot...
Was basically a Haze and Northern Lights cross or something like that I believe. Apparently solid but nothing to write home about.

And to think that I could be in posession of "original" Nirvana F2 AK47 seeds but instead opted for a pack of pure power plant back in the days. We only grew the NL and the AK47 and I still have the pure power plant pack from late 90's. If I had taken a 2nd pack of AK47 I would be sitting on gold right now ...

Not even sure if I should still grow the PPP anymore. So many strains that sound more interesting from MRN, Peak and Ace.... Maybe some day.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:13 PM

bc neither sensi nor serious are doing their breeding, they have "ppl" that do that for them, they just market it by taking over the fictive "copyright"

ak48 is jock horror X ice , jock horror not to be messed up with herrer, also another pedigree

and you dont know if the 1st called 47 from nirvana wasnt a jock horror X ice cross or a serious seeds ak47 F2
Old 01-03-2019, 10:20 AM

Was reading till pg 35, but some came up to say to Nev about saving the genepool.
Saving the genepool can only be done by supporting the local farmers where the varieties are coming from.Introduction of western genetics in those areas would harm more the genepool then say to a breeder that it is duty to save the genepool.
A landrace variety will change when it is grown for several generations in another environment and adapt than where it is coming from.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:36 PM

Default Super dope weed

Hypothetical Super Dope Weed Breeding

One goal of super dope weed plant breeding is to develop new, unique and superior super dope weed cultivars. A breeder can initially select and cross two or more parental lines, followed by repeated selfing and selection, producing many new genetic combinations. Moreover, a breeder can generate multiple different genetic combinations by crossing, selfing, and mutations. A plant breeder can then select which germplasms to advance to the next generation. These germplasms may then be grown under different geographical, climatic, and soil conditions, and further selections can be made during, and at the end of, the growing season.

The development of commercial super dope weed cultivars thus requires the development of super dope weed parental lines, the crossing of these lines, and the evaluation of the crosses. Pedigree breeding and recurrent selection breeding methods are used to develop cultivars from breeding populations. Breeding programs combine desirable traits from two or more varieties or various broad-based sources into breeding pools from which lines are developed by selfing and selection of desired phenotypes. The new lines are crossed with other lines and the hybrids from these crosses are evaluated to determine which have commercial potential.

Pedigree breeding is used commonly for the improvement of self-pollinating crops or inbred lines of cross-pollinating crops. Two parents which possess favorable, complementary traits are crossed to produce an F1. An F2 population is produced by selfing one or several F1s or by intercrossing two F1s (sib mating). Selection of the best individuals is usually begun in the F2 population; then, beginning in the F3, the best individuals in the best families are selected. Replicated testing of families, or hybrid combinations involving individuals of these families, often follows in the F4 generation to improve the effectiveness of selection for traits with low heritability. At an advanced stage of inbreeding (i.e., F6 and F7), the best lines or mixtures of phenotypically similar lines are tested for potential release as new cultivars.

Mass and recurrent selections can be used to improve populations of either self- or cross-pollinating crops. A genetically variable population of heterozygous individuals is either identified or created by intercrossing several different parents. The best plants are selected based on individual superiority, outstanding progeny, or excellent combining ability. The selected plants are intercrossed to produce a new population in which further cycles of selection are continued.
Backcross breeding may be used to transfer genes for a simply inherited, highly heritable trait into a desirable homozygous cultivar or line that is the recurrent parent. The source of the trait to be transferred is called the donor parent. The resulting plant is expected to have the attributes of the recurrent parent (e.g., cultivar) and the desirable trait transferred from the donor parent. After the initial cross, individuals possessing the phenotype of the donor parent are selected and repeatedly crossed (backcrossed) to the recurrent parent. The resulting plant is expected to have the attributes of the recurrent parent (e.g., cultivar) and the desirable trait transferred from the donor parent.

The single-seed descent procedure in the strict sense refers to planting a segregating population, harvesting a sample of one seed per plant, and using the one-seed sample to plant the next generation. When the population has been advanced from the F2 to the desired level of inbreeding, the plants from which lines are derived will each trace to different F2 individuals. The number of plants in a population declines each generation due to failure of some seeds to germinate or some plants to produce at least one seed. As a result, not all of the F2 plants originally sampled in the population will be represented by a progeny when generation advance is completed.

In addition to phenotypic observations, the genotype of a plant can also be examined. There are many laboratory-based techniques available for the analysis, comparison and characterization of plant genotype; among these are Isozyme Electrophoresis, Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphisms (RFLPs), Randomly Amplified Polymorphic DNAs (RAPDs), Arbitrarily Primed Polymerase Chain Reaction (AP-PCR), DNA Amplification Fingerprinting (DAF), Sequence Characterized Amplified Regions (SCARs), Amplified Fragment Length polymorphisms (AFLPs), Simple Sequence Repeats (SSRs—which are also referred to as Microsatellites), and Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs).
Molecular markers can also be used during the breeding process for the selection of qualitative traits. For example, markers closely linked to alleles or markers containing sequences within the actual alleles of interest can be used to select plants that contain the alleles of interest during a backcrossing breeding program. The markers can also be used to select toward the genome of the recurrent parent and against the markers of the donor parent. This procedure attempts to minimize the amount of genome from the donor parent that remains in the selected plants. It can also be used to reduce the number of crosses back to the recurrent parent needed in a backcrossing program. The use of molecular markers in the selection process is often called genetic marker enhanced selection or marker-assisted selection. Molecular markers may also be used to identify and exclude certain sources of germplasm as parental varieties or ancestors of a plant by providing a means of tracking genetic profiles through crosses.

Mutation breeding may also be used introducing new traits into super dope weed varieties. Mutations that occur spontaneously or are artificially induced can be useful sources of variability for a plant breeder. The goal of artificial mutagenesis is to increase the rate of mutation for a desired characteristic. Mutation rates can be increased by many different means including temperature, long-term seed storage, tissue culture conditions, radiation (such as X-rays, Gamma rays, neutrons, Beta radiation, or ultraviolet radiation), chemical mutagens (such as base analogs like 5-bromo-uracil), antibiotics, alkylating agents (such as sulfur mustards, nitrogen mustards, epoxides, ethyleneamines, sulfates, sulfonates, sulfones, or lactones), azide, hydroxylamine, nitrous acid or acridines. Once a desired trait is observed through mutagenesis the trait may then be incorporated into existing germplasm by traditional breeding techniques.

Additional Breeding Methods for Patented Invention Weed#1

This invention also is directed to methods for producing a weed plant by crossing a first parent weed plant with a second parent weed plant wherein the first or second parent weed plant is a weed plant of hybrid ‘#1’. Further, both first and second parent weed plants can come from weed hybrid ‘#1’. Thus, any such methods using weed hybrid ‘#1’ are part of this invention: selfing, backcrosses, hybrid production, crosses to populations, and the like. All plants produced using weed hybrid ‘#1’ as at least one parent are within the scope of this invention, including those developed from cultivars derived from weed hybrid ‘#1’.

Advantageously, this weed cultivar could be used in crosses with other, different, weed plants to produce the first generation (F1) weed hybrid seeds and plants with superior characteristics. The cultivar of the invention can also be used for transformation where exogenous genes are introduced and expressed by the cultivar of the invention. Genetic variants created either through traditional breeding methods using weed hybrid ‘#1’ or through transformation of hybrid ‘#1’ by any of a number of protocols known to those of skill in the art are intended to be within the scope of this invention.

The following describes breeding methods that may be used with weed hybrid ‘#1’ in the development of further weed plants. One such embodiment is a method for developing progeny weed plants in a weed plant breeding program comprising: obtaining the weed plant, or a part thereof, of hybrid ‘#1’, utilizing said plant or plant part as a source of breeding material, and selecting a weed hybrid ‘#1’ progeny plant with molecular markers in common with hybrid ‘#1’ and/or with morphological and/or physiological characteristics selected from the characteristics listed above. Breeding steps that may be used in the weed plant breeding program include pedigree breeding, backcrossing, mutation breeding, and recurrent selection. In conjunction with these steps, techniques such as RFLP-enhanced selection, genetic marker enhanced selection (for example, SSR markers) and the making of double haploids may be utilized.

Another method involves producing a population of weed hybrid ‘#1’ progeny weed plants, by crossing hybrid ‘#1’ with another weed plant, thereby producing a population of weed plants, which, on average, derive 50% of their alleles from weed hybrid ‘#1’. A plant of this population may be selected and repeatedly selfed or sibbed with a weed plant resulting from these successive filial generations. One embodiment of this invention is the weed cultivar produced by this method and that has obtained at least 50% of its alleles from weed hybrid ‘#1’.

Additional methods include, without limitation, chasing selfs. Chasing selfs involves identifying inbred plants among weed plants that have been grown from hybrid weed seed. Once the seed is planted, the inbred plants may be identified and selected due to their decreased vigor relative to the hybrid plants that grow from the hybrid seed. By locating the inbred plants, isolating them from the rest of the plants, and self-pollinating them (i.e., “chasing selfs”), a breeder can obtain an inbred line that is identical to an inbred parent used to produce the hybrid.
Accordingly, another aspect of the present invention relates a method for producing an inbred weed variety by: planting seed of the weed variety ‘#1’; growing plants from the seed; identifying one or more inbred weed plants; controlling pollination in a manner which preserves homozygosity of the one or more inbred plants; and harvesting resultant seed from the one or more inbred plants. The step of identifying the one or more inbred weed plants may further include identifying plants with decreased vigor, i.e., plants that appear less robust than plants of the weed variety ‘#1’. Weed plants capable of expressing substantially all of the physiological and morphological characteristics of the parental inbred lines of weed variety ‘#1’ include weed plants obtained by chasing selfs from seed of weed variety ‘#1’.

One of ordinary skill in the art will recognize that once a breeder has obtained inbred weed plants by chasing selfs from seed of weed variety ‘#1’, the breeder can then produce new inbred plants such as by sib-pollinating, or by crossing one of the identified inbred weed plant with a plant of the weed variety ‘#1’.

btw this was from some pepper patent, i just changed some words around