Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 6. Breeders support and information

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 143
Default Is the A5 Haze cutting the mother of Nev's and Mango Haze?

So..... the famous A5 cutting that gets passed around the netherlands, is it the same NL5/HazeA that was selected by Shanti and Neville to mother Nev's and Mango Haze?

The reason I ask is that by far the best things I have ever tried in dutch coffeeshops are mexican haze from dampkring and NL5/Haze from Katsu. The owner of Katsu told me they are both mothered by the A5 cut, but generally the pure A5 is not sold in coffeshops due to lack of commercial viability.

I thought it would make sense that a plant which passes on such magic to its offspring was selected by shanti and neville. I may be way off in my guess, I hope someone can give some light on the subject.

Cheers,
Trillion
__________________
Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it - Henry David Thoreau
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-12-2010, 12:19 PM
genegenie's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 759
Default

Yo Trillion,
The A cut is supposed to be some woman, butI thought Nev had lost the A cut,so not sure if it was used in the Nev's and the Mango,but Big Herb or L33T might know.
As you said the Mexican Haze is some special smoke, haven't tried Katsu's NL5/Haze though, but I'll be there next month so I'll try it then if you think it's that good.

I managed to source some female pollen from the Mexican Haze pheno that they sell in De Dampkring and crossed it to my Pink Bubblegum cut I have.

The keeper I had from the cross reminds me alot of the pics I used to see of Sensi's NL5/Haze(apart from bud colour) and the high is pure speed weed, nothing like the Mexican or Bubblegum really, gonna bring some to Holland for some people that know the A cut, for them to try and see what they think.

I've a thread in the indoor section that I'm posting pics of my Mexican Haze X Pink Bubblegum grow that I have going at the mo, if your interested.

Peace GG
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-12-2010, 12:54 PM
JessE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi all
Good question Trillion, as there has been some talk along similar lines in recent times. No one has Shantis mother plants only beta and f1 seed. Shanti has mentioned it was not hard for him to find the mother of Mango Haze during the selection process, which if im not mistaken was no small under taking. But the father took a fair bit of time to work out. Mango Haze is absolutely the stuff dreams are made of. Not to be out done, her sister Super Silver Haze is a knockout too.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by genegenie View Post
Yo Trillion,
The A cut is supposed to be some woman, butI thought Nev had lost the A cut,so not sure if it was used in the Nev's and the Mango,but Big Herb or L33T might know.
As you said the Mexican Haze is some special smoke, haven't tried Katsu's NL5/Haze though, but I'll be there next month so I'll try it then if you think it's that good.

I managed to source some female pollen from the Mexican Haze pheno that they sell in De Dampkring and crossed it to my Pink Bubblegum cut I have.

The keeper I had from the cross reminds me alot of the pics I used to see of Sensi's NL5/Haze(apart from bud colour) and the high is pure speed weed, nothing like the Mexican or Bubblegum really, gonna bring some to Holland for some people that know the A cut, for them to try and see what they think.

I've a thread in the indoor section that I'm posting pics of my Mexican Haze X Pink Bubblegum grow that I have going at the mo, if your interested.

Peace GG
It looks a bit more wild and mexican and also a bit denser from the bubblegum, nice cross

Katsu have proper amnesia aswell not that popcorny unflushed shit they sell at barneys and almost everywhere else. They have black widow too.

But I'm wondering if the A5 that a lot of dutch breeders use is a different Nl5/Haze cut like Stu/dr kevorkian or if its the MNS breeding mother?
__________________
Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it - Henry David Thoreau
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessE View Post
Hi all
Good question Trillion, as there has been some talk along similar lines in recent times. No one has Shantis mother plants only beta and f1 seed. Shanti has mentioned it was not hard for him to find the mother of Mango Haze during the selection process, which if im not mistaken was no small under taking. But the father took a fair bit of time to work out. Mango Haze is absolutely the stuff dreams are made of. Not to be out done, her sister Super Silver Haze is a knockout too.
So A5 is likely a cut selected by another breeder.

I have some SSH seeds in the old yellow packs, Im starting off with some Neville's HazeXNL now though (not from MNS)

Is it known if larger numbers were used to find the NL5/Haze mums of ssh and mh or to find the Haze A and C males? It would be hard to grow a lot of pure hazes!

I think those selections have probably had more effect on cannabis breeding than any other breeders selections
__________________
Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it - Henry David Thoreau
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-12-2010, 02:26 PM
bigherb
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

the answer the your question is NO the clone only A5 is not the mother of NH/MH the mother of mango haze was a select clone i believe shanti named 122 according to mrhaze420

the original A5 is a clone only select i believe from 86 which neville made by crossing the HAZE A male to a select NL5 ,shanti has told me the OSH clone only"S held in the south of holland hav not been used in the breeding of the current MNS strains

the owner of katsu is misinformed or just speaking rubbish as many of you say LOL

the A5 is available in som CS in the south of holland i havnt had the chance to experience any of these OSH clone only but i look forward to a future tasting which will happen on my next trip

as for my experience with katsu i smoked smothin called special haze n another un memorable haze hybrid,after all the praise i was very dissapointed ,probably partially due too the menu selections at the time but IME nothin special

im glad there is interest in these OSH clone only's as ive said before there really is a lack of info on there history ,hopfully i will change that in the near future


1luvbigherb
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-12-2010, 02:39 PM
bigherb
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillion View Post
So A5 is likely a cut selected by another breeder.

I have some SSH seeds in the old yellow packs, Im starting off with some Neville's HazeXNL now though (not from MNS)

Is it known if larger numbers were used to find the NL5/Haze mums of ssh and mh or to find the Haze A and C males? It would be hard to grow a lot of pure hazes!

I think those selections have probably had more effect on cannabis breeding than any other breeders selections


som insight

Originally Posted by Shantibaba
Hi All

well someone brought this thread to my attention and asked for me to comment...so I will.

In my experiences with the Haze plants, the actual breeding of traits into a plant are not easy.The only way you can attempt this, and it maybe out of the reach of most due to the number of plants required is this. You crack a batch of Haze from a reliable and as pure source as you can find. Keep the best 3 males that exhibit traits you are after in the physical plant. You do the same for 3 females you get from the same batch. You then proceed to pollinate each female to ABC males and crack the seed you make...identify those plants displaying traits you are looking for and pick the male that shows most true in the F1 progeny. This can only be achieved by doing larger samples of seeds...and then you will need to keep a fair few clone back ups until you are sure that certain plants do not shine your way. An example of such breeding was Super Silver Haze and Mango Haze from Mr Nice Seeds. Nev cracked over 1000 seeds and followed them through testing large F1 progeny...Mango female was easy to find for me but the male took a fair while...1.5 years. In that time I killed several hundred F1 seeds to find the male that proved to be most true in its progeny.However now with Nev Haze C, and my MH male I have two plants that combine well and carry certain Haze/sativa traits to all they mate with...but this has now taken quite some years.

So it can occur with luck and it can occur with hard work, but the amount of plants needed to fulfil this type of breeding is much more greater than Indica dominant breeding imo.

All the best Sb
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 143
Default

The owner of Katsu wasn't talking rubbish The Mexican Haze is mothered by the A5 cut as is the particular strain in his coffeshop they sell under the name NL5/Haze.

I think they selll A5 in Willie Wortels in Harleem

Thanks for answering my questions, has shanti ever mentioned the amount of pur hazes grown to find A and C males?
__________________
Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it - Henry David Thoreau
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-12-2010, 06:04 PM
bigherb
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The reason I ask is that by far the best things I have ever tried in dutch coffeeshops are mexican haze from dampkring and NL5/Haze from Katsu. The owner of Katsu told me they are both mothered by the A5 cut, but generally the pure A5 is not sold in coffeshops due to lack of commercial viability

believe wat you wish

i already told you the shanti stated the mns haze hybrids are not related to the OSH soo this leads me too believe nevilles nl5 haze is a different select then the actual A5.

the A5 is sold in few CS in s.holland

ime
ive sampled mexican haze in dampkring n a few other samples i believe on more than one trip ,nothin special

as for the mexican haze true its reported the OSH A5 mango pheno is the mother

Last edited by bigherb; 06-12-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-12-2010, 10:40 PM
SmokeOn's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigherb View Post
The reason I ask is that by far the best things I have ever tried in dutch coffeeshops are mexican haze from dampkring and NL5/Haze from Katsu. The owner of Katsu told me they are both mothered by the A5 cut, but generally the pure A5 is not sold in coffeshops due to lack of commercial viability

believe wat you wish

i already told you the shanti stated the mns haze hybrids are not related to the OSH soo this leads me too believe nevilles nl5 haze is a different select then the actual A5.

the A5 is sold in few CS in s.holland

ime
ive sampled mexican haze in dampkring n a few other samples i believe on more than one trip ,nothin special
bigherb, what is OSH?

Please use the quote button, or quotation marks "" in the future, it's hard to follow your posts. Not trying to be a downer, it is just really confusing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All rights reserved, MR NICE SEEDBANK, NL