Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 6. Breeders support and information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2020, 01:55 PM

Default Root-bound males and autoflowering tendencies

Last month a knowledgeable friend came by my place for a visit and to share genetics and he made a passing comment that stuck with me. He said that male cannabis plants have a tendency to autoflower when they are root bound. I hadn't heard this but it rung true, as I remember my Angel's Breath keeper male was throwing pollen in the veg cabinet under a 16-hour light regimen before I lost him. He was definitely root bound at the time. Then I thought about D4, the sole male from my run of The Doors last year, and how he flowered before all the females, and how at the time I simply chalked it up to his being a very early flowering male. Now that I think about it, that plant was definitely root bound when it started producing staminate flowers, so maybe it wasn't necessarily an early flowering male but maybe it was autoflowering due to it's small container.

Is this tendency a known thing? Does this mean that I have to be constantly cloning and replacing any males I keep if I want to keep them in veg?
Old 01-24-2020, 06:35 PM

Root pruning, it's a thing.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:24 PM

Root RESTRICTION (not pruning).

Not unusual for big sativa lines to show a dislike root restriction.
If they get root-bound they can see it as a threat to survival, it can trigger production of flowers as the plant tries to preserve the species.

Understanding that, you can manage it with regular brutal pruning to keep the veg mass above soil small enough for a small container root system to provide for.
You'll never prune a plant more aggressively, because pollen flying from a misbehaving male can be a real issue. Chop chop chop to make a big plant small. It's good to see how much these plants can really take. Good reason to practice your cloning skills too.

At the same time, knowing you can trigger your male to flower by letting it grow too big for it's container is something that might come in useful some day. I mean, the reason you keep a male at all is to produce seeds right?

Wide leaf's seem to be less sensitive to this, but I assume a pheno from any cannabis line could potentially demonstrate this behavior.

Last edited by Cptn; 01-24-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:03 PM

Uhh,no.

Its VERY common for some of us old school growers to take a 10 year old mother (or father) and just pull the whole plant and soil from a container and a large pair of scissors and whack away at the rootball then put back into the container with some fresh soil.
(Over run sentance but wtf?).

I've been doing it since at least the 80's.
I still have a 27 year old bonzai'd mother chocolate thai that has been trimmed top AND bottom dozens of times.
I'm not the only one doing it....I'm sure you can find tons of howtos on it all over the interwebz.....clicky clicky.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2ishun View Post
Uhh,no.

Its VERY common for some of us old school growers to take a 10 year old mother (or father) and just pull the whole plant and soil from a container and a large pair of scissors and whack away at the rootball then put back into the container with some fresh soil.
(Over run sentance but wtf?).

I've been doing it since at least the 80's.
I still have a 27 year old bonzai'd mother chocolate thai that has been trimmed top AND bottom dozens of times.
I'm not the only one doing it....I'm sure you can find tons of howtos on it all over the interwebz.....clicky clicky.
You answered 1 of 2 different questions.
I answered why/if it happens (his first question) what to do about it. I left out root pruning (which is a good option I have used many times myself.)
You only answered the second without any explanation.

I thought when you said pruning, you were incorrectly answering the first question.
You have any 10 year old fathers around these days?

Last edited by Cptn; 01-24-2020 at 09:30 PM. Reason: why/if it
Old 01-25-2020, 12:57 AM

Yes I've heard of that with males and females.

Common thing with sweet pink grapefruit genetics like sweet tooth.

JoshuaHaze's bonsai sultan thread used to have pics of pruning through the roots with a knife before repotting. Maybe using an air/smart pot could help in the long run.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:06 AM

The thing is.....to think before jumping to conclusions.

A seed plant has a main tap root, a clone does not.
Hmm...y'all following yet ?

Any sat worth a shit will hit 8 foot tall above ground, and at least 4 foot of tap root depth.
Don't believe it ? Carefully dig down to the end of the main tap root of a in ground planted sativa after harvest, you'll probably be thinking all about China when you see how much root a plant really puts down.

I've known for decades that a tall/slender planter will produce better than a short squat one.
I suggest everyone experiments along these lines in order to increase both plant health and yields.
Tall kitchen trash cans are ideal...7 gallons are my go to.
You can also put way more square shaped containers in a given space (no wasted empty floor space around the circle shaped units)

Meh, whatever....figure it out your own damn selves....or dont.
I really dont care any more.
I'm done trying to teach shit anymore.
Make mistakes, it's the best way for rock heads to learn
Old 01-25-2020, 08:13 PM

My ghash males auto if kept in small pots also my old sweetooth#3 mum used to auto when root bound it made her a nightmare to keep.

Last edited by ENGLISH; 01-25-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:43 AM

This is a really cool thread, on an important topic.
Thank you to all for great input.

So it appears that everyone agrees that stress caused by root binding will cause auto-sexing.

Also, everyone seems to agree that root pruning is a valid/valuable technique.
#Rocket pots may be useful.

So anyone got any hints on a good technique to prune?
I learned to take of the bottom 50mm/2" and fillet off two sides. Leaving a wedge of about 100mm/4".
Next year you take off the fillets on the opposing sides, leaving the root zone in a square of 10*10cm over the two seasons

Really good heads-up on the ST3. I'm about to germ some ST3X, and the fact it throws a heap of root sounds good, as she should throw a bunch of bloom also.

N2ishun, really cool theory/observation about running deeper rather than wider pots.
Do you think this holds true for cuts, as well as seed plants, or it's just the original that benefits from the tap-root depth?
Old 01-26-2020, 08:11 PM

4' tap? Get some size turnips but 4'? Lol.