Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 6. Breeders support and information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2019, 09:07 AM

Gorilla Glue is a clone only strain, if you really want the original.

There cannot be an "original Gorilla Glue" from seed because it was a selection made from feminized seeds if memory serves.

Either way, there is no (to my knowledge), father for the "original" Gorilla Glue, there never has been. So no seeds could have been made, at least not the "regular" way.

The "original Gorilla Glue" in seed form you may find, can only have been "selfed", meaning they reversed the sex on a female Gorilla Glue clone to male and then crossed the "reversed" male to the female.
But both parents then came from the same plant, which itself has been grown from feminized seeds.

So the genetic profile is pretty much crossed to shits and from what I could gather in terms of genetics and breeding, I would say the chance that you find any outstanding plants in seeds made this way is slim at most.
The chance that you find a plant that lends itself to breeding (not hermying, "breeding true" etc.) are imho close to non-existant.

So basically if you want Gorilla Glue, you gotta get the clone. OR you could try to do the same selection and breeding that the guys who found the Gorilla Glue did. So you start at the same building blocks (not sure what those were for Gorilla Glue, probably something with Chemdawg/OGKush/Sour Diesel, right?).
Let's say it's an OGKush x Sour Diesel cross just to make this point.
You could then find a reliable, regular seed source for both strains, make your selections from them, cross them and breed your own Gorilla Glue.
That way you could end up with a strain that could actually be sold in seed form and reliably produce Gorilla Glue phenos.
But that would take years at least.

What you most likely get when you buy Gorilla Glue in seed form is either the original GG cut crossed to a random male that whoever did the crossing deemed a stud or an original GG cut that has been reversed to male and crossed back to the original cut i.e. "selfed". That would be the closest you could get to "original in seed form" but as you have now included not one but two hermaphrodites as both parents, I would highly question the validity of said strain in any breeding effort and also highly doubt that anything grown from those seeds will come close to the original cut that was selfed. From what I could find online, these "selfed" strains from feminized seeds rarely get close to the original they were made off of and usually are a bit all over the place in regard to phenos coming from them.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:12 PM
Banned

sorry, but you are incorrect in saying that the seeds are then created by two hermaphrodite plants.
if one has to be chemically treated to produce male flowers, i would not call it a hermaphrodite.
and crossed to itself... again not a hermaphrodite.

i dont keep up with the lineage of some of those new strains, but if i remember correctly i think i saw some sour bubble involved?
im sure it could be easily searched to find the correct pedigree.

getting the cut would be the best bet, any recombination of genetics by crossing the GG to a male of the same or different strains would result in unknown outcomes.
may be good, may be similar, may be almost exactly the same, and may be totally different and not as good.

one thing is certain, gorrila glue did come from seeds and did have a pollen donor to make that happen. even though it may have been a reversed female, a similar cross could be made using regular male and female plants.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:56 PM

Alright, may have well gotten some stuff mixed up, have never dabbled in any of this myself, just trying to piece together what I read online.

But the bottom line remains the same either way:
If there are GG seeds, it is quite unlikely that they result in anything "as good" or "better" than the actual GG clone they came from and most likely will result in a bunch of plans that don't have very much in common with what they were intended to produce.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:39 PM

https://www.strainly.io/en/listings/...-original-glue
Old 07-24-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseidon View Post
So the genetic profile is pretty much crossed to shits and from what I could gather in terms of genetics and breeding, I would say the chance that you find any outstanding plants in seeds made this way is slim at most.
The chance that you find a plant that lends itself to breeding (not hermying, "breeding true" etc.) are imho close to non-existant.
This may be a sign of my lack of experience. But what I can tell is when you take a good plant and breed it to another good plant you get more good plants. Gorilla Glue included.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:13 PM

Jesse James is the original breeder. Chem sister x sour dubb x chocolate diesel. All self'd crosses.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:34 PM

Try Master Kush x Skunk#1. Your on the Mr. Nice site after all. It's great, easy peasy for the most part. It's quite forgiving. The effect is great and the smell and flavor old school goodness. The size is manageable and mold and mildew resistance is pretty high. I grow outdoors above 47 degrees N. on the coastal side of Washington state. The latest it has finished here is around the 10th of Oct. with out protection. By the 15th of October the season is done here. After that cold rain and mold for 6 months. They have always finished. Try it, if you don't like it try it again! Good luck in your cannabis adventures.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaFish View Post
This may be a sign of my lack of experience. But what I can tell is when you take a good plant and breed it to another good plant you get more good plants. Gorilla Glue included.
Sort of, but GG#4 is a pollyhybrid so you are going to have a lot of recessive traits. You can very well find something you like better out of 100 seeds if you cross her to a nice male, but you're going to need numbers to find something equal or better. Of course miracles can happen and you can find a hermie bag seed that's really good, like OG Kush.

Even more stable strains from say Shantibaba take selection. I had an amazing Shit pheno on my first pack and went through about 4 packs since and still haven't found anything on that level in the same line.

I kind of think about seeds like scratch off lottery tickets, half the time you don't get nothing too spectacular (loser) the other half are decent (get your money back maybe a little extra) but there is always that one $100k winning ticket (GG#4).

Last edited by bluntmassa; 08-05-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59lespaul View Post
Jesus!! Is that at least the original clone they are charging $300 for? Shit, I was gifted GG#4 and paid it forward a little. Lol

Actually I see it now, it's the original clone, I guess it's not too bad of a price since they got it to Spain.

Last edited by bluntmassa; 08-05-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welyine View Post
What conditions are needed? I am new to this issue and I want to understand
Basically no two plants are the same. You grow 10 seeds you get 10 different plants. Some strains don't have as much variation as others but even Skunk #1 and Northern Lights you are still getting 10 different plants from 10 different seeds they just won't have as drastic of variation as a pollyhybrid (crosses of crosses of crosses)

This plant is nothing like tomatoes, you don't really get a true breeding variety. It's actually closest related to hops which the popular varieties for brewing beer are from clones not seeds. Some do grow from seed in search of a new hops variety.