Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 6. Breeders support and information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2019, 12:52 AM

Exclamation Homogeneous

Does Mr.Nice carry any homogeneous strains?

What generation are the classics on?

Last edited by DoseThemAll; 04-16-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:39 AM

Exclamation

Beep Beep!!
Old 04-19-2019, 10:36 AM

I don't believe homogeneous cannabis exists, of course clones do the trick.

You will get different variations in different strains. Sure Skunk #1 is sort of homogeneous but still a bit of variation.

I know I've grown out hundreds if not thousands of plants from seed I may have had 2 plants close in a pack of seeds but never the same. Of course this is cannabis not tomatoes.

Cannabis is related to hops and with hops to grow a consistent crop they use clones. I will still grow seeds of course as variety is the true spice of life. GG#4 is good and all but I can't smoke nothing but GG#4. Also to find a really good clone line you must start with seeds.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:29 PM

Cool

I wonder, if because Mr.Nice has been making the same crosses for decades, if any of them are F4 or greater?

I understand that there will always be some diversity with seeds, I'm simply trying to pick the most stable line to play with
Old 04-21-2019, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoseThemAll View Post
I wonder, if because Mr.Nice has been making the same crosses for decades, if any of them are F4 or greater?

I understand that there will always be some diversity with seeds, I'm simply trying to pick the most stable line to play with
They still hold the original parent plants for each line, unless we are being lied too. You can definitely keep a mother alive for 20+ years, Mr. Nice isn't the only ones to have done that.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:20 PM

I sometimes feel that they should work them, instead of using the same old parent plants. Improve the lines...change them according to current trends or that kind of thing. If the end results are worse then don't use the - stick to original but if better then great!

You would also have the great debates about which versions were better, etc. Or end up with different vintages being better for different things (like a vintage suitable for SCROG or hardier for outdoors, etc...) No end of stoned discussions and searches for packs of your favourite vintages, which would become more valuable as people used them up and they became scarce.

But it is work. Also, vigour would be an issue, sometimes quickly. Still, I suppose you could have different breeders try their hand at different lines. If it works it works. if not, growers will know.

Nevil always wondered if the parents to SSH had genetically drifted. he was convinced it was possible - maybe probable and was always asking for pre 98 SSH.. what I couldn't understand is - why couldn't THOSE clones (the pre-98 SSH) have drifted genetically since then, too?!? and why not just plant out seeds from new SSH anyway and not care if the parents drifted? If you find a good plant it is a good plant. Maybe his suggestion was that genetic drift can lead to a situation where none of the offspring would be good enough. And maybe he meant pre 98 SEEDS and NOT a pre 98 clone.... in fact, that IS what he meant and why it didn't make sense to me at the time.

Personally, I have never come across a 30 year old plant - whatever anyone says - but maybe my circles are such. Clones of clones, yes, of course - cheese, etc... but not an actual 20 or 30 year old plant. It is when cloning that genetic drift can occur...so who knows if a clone of a clone of a clone is the same as the original? that is why maybe working a line is maybe better than continually cloning the clones of the clones of the mum and dad over decades and using those clones of clones of clones to make seeds.

I just can't believe that the parents of a strain from the 90's , say, are the original seed parents, all these years later. they are clones of clones.

Anyway, variety may be the spice of life but I prefer more stability in my seeds. It is ridiculous to have a strain all over the place. If you want variety, plant 2 strains! I want to know what I am going to get, at least to a degree.. inbred lines have their place, as do F1s and clones but as for whether 30 year old plants have their place - who knows? never came across one.I don't think they exist. and clones of clones of clones maybe don't have their place...not according to Nevil, anyway.

If Nevil didn't like the idea of keeping plants that long then neither do I. (Either clones of clones of clones or 30 year old plants) The natural way for annual plants to last years and years is as seeds, I suppose.

Well, just some stoned musings, anyway.

Last edited by Grover Sativa; 04-23-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntmassa View Post
Of course this is cannabis not tomatoes.
I love BOTH those plants. Different and the same. Both have amazing end products... tomatoes are almost always self fertilised (well, naturally anyway) making F1s is actually quite fiddly. When I tried to outcross my own inbred tomatoes it was very hard and the line was not better and I never tried again - I just select seeds from the best tomatoes plant and best tomato fruit for next year. I don't use the first batch of seeds year after year after year, though. always the new season's batch (though I keep each batch, well labelled. If a seasons seeds do not produce plants as good as last year I will go back one generation and not find seeds from the inferior generation.) My assumption is that I am naturally selecting for the best fit to my own environment and way of growing this way.

This makes breeding them not the same as breeding cannabis. It is hard to entirely self cannabis (in the field) and hard NOT to entirely self tomatoes...cannabis seeds from one female could be from pollen of many many males whereas tomato seeds from one plant will almost ALL be from the same father (itself) over many many dozens of generations, of course the phenotypes of one will be many and varied and of the other very very homogenous... If you bred cannabis like tomatoes they would end up homogenous. i have no doubt about that at all. It is just that you can't (not realistically and over all those years, anyway...)

Last edited by Grover Sativa; 04-27-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:42 PM

and tomatoes are almost always tastier on toast
Old 04-23-2019, 10:42 PM

but imagine if you could breed tomatoes that got you high!
Old 04-23-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntmassa View Post
Also to find a really good clone line you must start with seeds.
yup. Totally agree