Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 6. Breeders support and information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 AM

Default Help! Help me preserve the Genetics of a single seed

Hello all. After years of waiting I am finally on the cusp of cultivating my own medicine and breeding a strain suited to my taste and needs. I have a test run of old bagseed which I am going to test my small grow cab on before acquiring the Mr. Nice Genetics which will become the building blocks of my small humble project.

There is one seed in particular though which I want to preserve and work deeply with, which i got years ago from California. All I know of it is that it is an old Sativa from California. It is the only seed I found in the bud I purchased while visiting. The bud which I pulled it from was one of my favorite I have had the pleasure of sampling. It wasn't the strongest by any means, and being a sativa the "nugs" themselves had little if any bag appeal. But the flavor/aroma and quality/type of high were superb. It had an immediate uplifting and social effect which left me smiling and laughing after only 2-3 hits (I was going through a very dark time so it was a surprise to find myself in such good spirits). there was no paranoia or anxiety and it left one energized instead of drained though it didn't make me feel wired like some sativas do. Over all it was a very pleasant effect. The smell was divine, like parsnips with hints of citrus.

I only have the one seed, and I understand this herm seed possibly isn't the pure form of what I smoked. But it is very important to me to preserve what ever I can from this single seed and to pheno hunt and crossbreed until I find a specimen similar to what I originally imbibed.

Any advice and feedback on how to best preserve its genetics whether by cubing, selfing, or line breeding would be much appreciated. Also because I only have the one seed advice on the best way to sprout it would be invaluable. To make it easier I will refer to the seed as CaliSweet.

Thank you very much in advance for all of your help.

-D840

"you can do really well for yourself with top genetics and a low budget. The reverse isn't true."
N.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:04 AM

Aside from the obvious option of preserving the seed instead of the plant by storing it properly and freezing it, have you thought about simply keeping the same single plant alive for the time it takes to find what you need to pair it with?

If you look into the bonsai method, you can not only keep the same plant alive for very long, you can also do that by keeping it very small and not take up much space. Just need to prune it regularly along with its rootball and "pot down". Then let it grow back up, maybe also pot up (larger size) before pruning the plant and rootball again and pot back down.

This way you can keep the plant alive for ... I don't know how long but long

If anything goes astray, you can just clone it and start over.

To be on the safe side, I would maybe clone it anyway, before pruning it and its rootball and down potting for the first time. Just to be on the safe side.
If anything goes wrong, go to your backup clone and start over.

If you want to make more seeds from it and preserve those (also not as risky as freezing a single seed), while staying as close to the original seed/plant within, I don't see away around selfing it.
Unless you have a super recessive male or female lying around that does neither add nor detract anything in a cross. Anyone ever found one of those though?
Old 01-18-2019, 03:13 AM

Thank you for your reply Brosieden, your input is very much appreciated. I do plan on keeping a clone of the Cali Sweet going, but just in case i ever loose it i will make seeds through either selfing or maybe cubing.
I agree it would probably be tough to find a non-dominate donor plant so selfings probably best.
The fact that i have one plant which may not even be a pure version of the bud it came from will make this an interesting project.
Do you think there will be enough variability to pheno hunt if I self it?
-D840

"you can do really well for yourself with top genetics and a low budget. The reverse isn't true."
N.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:00 PM

Does it really matter if there is enough variance? You only got that one

I would probably grow out that one for now, clone and preserve it, if it is a female, great, harvest, dry, cure and test. If it is anything special then go on with selfing etc.

If it is male ... Well then you either feminize, grow out, test the femmed bud or you have to breed with it and test the progeny... Long effort...

But maybe it is female and you find out it isn't that special after all, then you can safe a lot of effort.

Just because it came from great bud, doesn't guarantee that it also results in great bud ...

I would make sure that it is something worth investing so much work in before doing so.

Stay frosty Bro
Old 01-18-2019, 03:42 PM

Thanks again for your input Brosieden. You are right, it shouldn't matter to me about how much variance it has. I understand that in most likelyhood this one seed will produce something different and or not as good as what I smoked. But I am ok with that. This one seed holds within it alot of sentimental value to me for personal reason, so regardless of its initial quality I will hold onto it and use it as least in a small way for my breeding program. The limited space and numbers will make it hard to breed, but If i can just something with similar flavor profile or the happy easy going High, then I will count myself lucky.

Regardless i am just excited to finally embark on my journey. I spend my days fantasizing about slow budding sativas and stinky resinous indicas. My future is bright!

-D840

N.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:47 PM

most of the bagseeds ive grown turned out better than the bud i pulled them from.
so you have that to look forward to!
Old 01-21-2019, 12:11 AM

An option is also to use GA to force a single plant to flip its pheno sex. That way you can produce self crossed seeds, called S1. It will not increase the chance of herms in future generations, but you will only get fem seeds and genetic female plants from the self crossed genetic female. If you have a genetic male flipping to female pheno, you will get 1/4 sterile YY seeds, 1/2 male XY seeds and 1/4 of the seeds will be female XX seeds. So males can give you a better long term outcome for breeding potential from one seed. Of course the seed could be a genetic female expressing male phenotype. Cannabis is tricky when it comes to pheno expression of sex.

The other thing is that you likely have second generation SW Mexican genetics from your description. That was most commonly grown in California, as Thai, Northern Mexican and Colombian strains all finish too late into the rainy season in California. SW Mexicans finish in mid to late October. sativa colas tends to have less 'bag appeal' (if there is such a thing) than indica does. Looser buds, more open and less dense.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:16 AM

Thanks for stopping by Jack Hairy. I am excited to see what comes of my Cali Sweet seed. No matter what it will make a fun little breeding peoject. Hopefully though it will produce something nice. Even if it's not the strongest I couls always cross it with a Nevilles Haze to increase potency.

N.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:30 AM

Hi Big Sur, it is great to hear from you. I always enioy reading your posts. Thank you for the input. Brosieden had also suggested selfing, it's looking like GA may be the way to go.

As for the strain, I would be more than happy to have some oldschool second gen Mexican Genetics. If the description is similar to SW Mexican strains then I may need to go that route and find some legit SW Mexican genetics to use as a donor plant then backcross or cube it to preserve the traits I am looking for.

With the loss and diluting of landrace and heirloom strains it would be nice to have some older genes to work with. That is why I love Mr. Nice. They have the best genetics, and more importantly they are oldschool with less bottlenecking.

Thank you again for your help.

-D840

N.