Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 6. Breeders support and information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2018, 09:21 PM

Don Marco, Thanks for growing these out and sharing it here. It takes big huevos to grow these indoors. It's got me ready to pop the 4 remaining f1 seeds.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:53 AM

Default 16 weeks

Hey Fish, it has been my pleasure growing out these Colombian sativas. You were kind enough to share the seeds you made with me when I wanted to start looking for a haze archetype in Colombian genetics, and it has been a pleasure to grow them out and share the results with you and our friends at MNS.

So I'm at 16 weeks and getting closer to the end of this grow. When I freed up some room in the tent and the remaining late-flowering girls let their dreads down started shooting new pistils in the apical 1/3 of most buds, which really extended the flowering cycle if I want to see amber on these trichs, which I don't because the earlier 2/3 of the buds will be overripe. I'm letting them go for a while because it's really increasing yield, and I don't have another batch yet waiting for the flower tent. I started PRM 7 tonight and will harvest in about a week or two. I probably won't start to flush PRM6 for 2-3 weeks. It's going to be a 20-week plant.

This is PRM4 at somewhere around 12 weeks. THis is the runt that was light-starved when the clone was put into flower. The root zone is almost nonexistent, and I can go over a week without feeding and the pot is still heavy. I can understand why a plant that was put into flower like that can have low potency.

Here's PRM6, the slowest plant with the earthiest, woodiest smells. The buds are still throwing new pistils and swelling, and the plant is sexually stable, which I'm finding out is important with these Colombian genetics.

And here's the vigorous, amazing smelling PRM7. This girl is huge and will yield fairly well. Especially with all the seed she made. Now that Rapunzel has let her hair down, I'm finding nanners all over the place. I think this is the plant that largely pollinated this grow. PRM3 could have contributed too. The tent was just packed too tight to keep on top of intersex issues the way I should have.

Yes, we have no bananas.

PRM7 apical cola. You can see how much new growth there is.

Last edited by Marcus_in_the_Darkus; 12-20-2018 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:52 PM

Hey Marcus,

My longest flowering ones also were shooting white pistils at harvest.
Here's 2 pics right before harvest taken at the middle of December. (Which is about 10.25 hours of daylight).
They look pretty similar to yours in ripeness. And 1 pic of the cured herb after 8 months or so to see how the pistils look when finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (509.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (836.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (330.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:01 AM

Default 20 weeks and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaFish View Post
Hey Marcus,

My longest flowering ones also were shooting white pistils at harvest.
Hey Fish, thanks for that info. I also read similar information in the Punto Rojo thread on CBG's club forums. It's worthwhile for fans of Punto Rojo and Colombian genetics in particular to use Google translate and read that thread because there's a wealth of information in there. A few other key take-aways from that thread:
  • Charlie Garcia found and discarded a lot of intersex plants along the way.
  • I get the impression that CBG's Punto Rojo is still being line bred and my guess is it's currently somewhere around F8. Maybe not so much a landrace anymore?
  • Charlie stated a few times that Colombian Punto Rojo has lost a lot of its potency and kick since the heyday of the 1970s/1980s. The stuff he's been growing isn't as strong and psychedelic as the imported punto rojo he smoked back in the day.
  • He also said Cripi has contaminated almost everything in Colombia, and that it was hard to find plants that didn't show cripi characteristics. I wonder if this could explain why I found a skunk-infested plant in my batch of 8 PRxMB Colombians. Has he been breeding the Indica out of the stock he received, or did he throw away a lot of cripi plants from most sources he tested but was still able to find a few sources for 100% unadulterated sativas?
  • PR leaves can be somewhat wide during veg, more so if vegged in cold temps and low light. More on that in a bit.

Tonight at almost 20 weeks I finally harvested the last two punto rojo x mangobiche plants in my flower tent. Here's PRM4, the runt that was light deprived because the (second) rooted clone was placed into the flower tent under an already dense canopy. I like the bud structure on this plant and it was sexually stable, until the last week or so because it was loaded with bananas tonight when I checked it. Hence the harvest. Smells are piney, lemony floral.

And here's the PRM4 cola...yummy!

PRM6 was identified early on as the skinniest leaved, longest flowering, most interesting plant of the bunch, most representative of a highland Colombian. Smell is less floral than most of the others, definitely woody with something slightly astringent and a hint of pepper. PRM6 was sexually stable until the last week or so when I started to see a couple bananas on the older, purple colas. What can I say about the 20-week flowering time? She threw a lot of new white pistils around 14-15 weeks and added a lot of bulk since then. I still don't see any amber trichs. Who knows? I hope she smokes like she was worth the wait.

One thing for sure, she was a beast. Jesus, look at this thing...

Here's the PRM6 cola at 20 weeks.

I'll summarize the yields and smoke quality in a few weeks. But a word on intersex issues. Out of the seven NLD plants left after I culled the WLD outlier, I got two males and five females. Only one had zero intersex issues, the male #8. So I'm going to keep him around for a while, and I have a lot of his pollen in the freezer. I loved the smells of #8 and he's vigorous, but his bud structure is fairly sparse and I saw very little resin on him. A good male from the sexual stability perspective, and he may have good progeny, but he's probably not the Colombian stud I'm looking for. Meanwhile, despite the abundant seed in the females, I'll have lots of good Colombian bud to smoke.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:41 AM

Default When one door closes, another one somewhere opens...

I took a pic tonight of the 6 Punto Rojo seedlings I started about a month ago. These are the ones I sourced from TLT. I'm especially intrigued by the skinny-leaved example fourth from the left.

Other than that one, I think this current batch of PR shows wider leaves than the punto rojo x mangobiche seedlings showed at about the same age. The PRM plants are the bottom two rows in the below picture from last July that was in post #1...

I hope the wider leaves in this batch is from vegging in cooler temps and under weaker light than the PRM seedlings I started last summer. We'll see. The plan is to veg these for another 4-5 weeks, take cuts, and flower the cuts in March.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:26 AM

Nice work Marcus! It takes patience to work these long winded mommas. We’ll have a cool one waitin for you when you get back brah ! Hope you are enjoying the ride!

Aloha
M
Old 01-12-2019, 09:36 PM

wow that last plant is a monster. I'm gonna smoke one to celebrate your harvest!

i'm bummed you got so many seeded buds, i'll have to send an extra cafeteria tray to roll your doobies on.

After seeing those crazy towers of buds I think that plant number 6 is more like the mangobiche in growth than the punto rojo. That was the one I marked from the beginning with the skinny leaves.

The TLT punto rojos vary a little in their looks but they do look like bad mofos to me. especially #4 and 2.

I didn't get the impression that the cbg punto rojo was inbred back when I got it, but I haven't heard any news about it in years. I should be starting out the last of my old punto rojo and mangobiche seeds in the next few weeks.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:31 PM

what a monster well done Mark! respect for the patience