Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 6. Breeders support and information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2020, 07:16 PM

Default Puntodorado Day Zero

OK, they don't really look like much yet, but I'm so excited about this grow that I decided to post a picture of nine puntodorado clones right after I got them into the flower tent. Six of the clones had rooted; I'm hoping the other three that I put into flower will root directly into the coco coir/perlite growing media. I still have ten seed plants in veg, and will cut some more clones in a week or two. One of the cuts (#3) did not root and the cutting was looking pretty sad so it didn't make it into the tent this round. Ironically, #3 is the seed plant that has the unique chocolate stem rub aroma, which intrigues me, so I'm going to keep it in veg and run it next round (in September, lol).

Grow setup will be my usual, 4x4 tent, 2-gallon hempy buckets, Jack's 3-2-1 diluted down to about 600 ppm and fed at a target pH of 6.2. Lights are 640 W of LED COBs, half 3000K and half 3500K, plus 12 W of far red for 15 minutes every day after lights out. Starting out under 12/12, will dial back to 11/13 in about 4 weeks, then to 10/14 4 weeks after that. Even though I've vowed not to attempt more than six sativas in a 4x4 tent, I'm starting with nine because I hope to find a male or two and I'll probably cull a couple plants with intersex issues. Hopefully I can take 4-6 girls all the way to the finish line.

I have a plan to control the stretch, which I expect to be severe with these landrace sativas. Based on past experience growing landrace sativas indoors, they will stretch for at least six weeks. The lights are currently set 20" above the canopy. As the canopy rises, so will the lights. Figuring on 1 to 2 inches of growth per day, in about 2-3 weeks the plants will be ~16" tall and the lights will be 36" above the top of the soil. I'll keep the lights there for a couple weeks and let the plants grow up through them. The plants should slow down a lot when they are about 10-12" above the lights, or about 46-48" tall. At that point I expect I'll be in week 4 or 5 of the stretch, with only another week or two of stretching left. I'll move the lights to their uppermost position, giving about 10-15" of space between the canopy and the lights. I'll train the colas horizontally and let them stretch the rest of the way. That (along with using 2-gallon pots) worked well for my last landrace grow, and hopefully it will work this time also. To alleviate crowding, I'm also planning to prune the lowest branches to keep the plants from spreading too wide.

Last edited by Marcus_in_the_Darkus; 03-22-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:11 PM

I am sharing your excitement brah. Good hunting!

Shaka
Mu
Old 03-24-2020, 09:46 PM

In my growing experience, landrace sativa strains have far less stench than Afghani or indica landraces or several modern hybrids. In particular these were all low odor 'pure' landrace strains for me growing here in the past few years: VietNam Black, Lebanese Red, Colombian Gold, Punto Rojo, Morelos Mexican, & Durban Poison. Also Jack Herer was pretty low odor. A moderate 'odor' strain that I find very pleasing and appealing is Maui Waui. MW is the best smelling strain that I have ever grown. Just the smell of that stuff is addictive with the terpene profile. When growing and curing it is divine. Then there are heirlooms and modern hybrids that reek, like Granddaddy Purple, Cheese, OG Kush (any strain), Chemdog/Diesel, Cherry Pie, Afghani, and most skunks.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:34 PM

Very interested in the search for punto rojo! My sister was in the southern part of mexico near the Belize boarder for a few weeks last year. She brought me back ~10 seeds from some "not good" smoke that she found down there in the in the Yucutan. I popped one, turned out to be female and looks a lot like Oaxacan gold or some of the central american landraces. I was considering doing a grow journal on this plant. I'm excited about these particularly because from what I've read, most of the native genetics from mexico have been hybridized and are getting harder to find and this small female looks to be pure sativa indicating less chance of hybridization.

I've gotten big into landraces in the past year. I just got manipur recently, supposed to be a "divine" sativa...one of the next on my list!

(Acquired near Lake Bacalar, Quintana Roo, Mexico)

Last edited by kbonsai; 03-26-2020 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:11 PM

Some southern Mexico strains are still available locally, but they are rare. Most of the old SW Mexico strains have been bred with newer hybrids, quite on purpose. After a century of growing the SW Mexico landrace growers and hippie buyers/importers of those strains were wiped out by the DEA Paraquat spraying in the later 1970s. For a brief time after that the hippies backed growers farther inland in states like Morelos using original local landrace sativa genetics. During that time (1977 to about 1980) some really good sinsemilla was coming up from Mexico. It was typically lime green and manicured like mo other weed I have seen before or since. After that the hippies left Mexico and moved growing to Northern California (the Emerald Triangle). The cartels then took over growing in Mexico, as they had long since done in Colombia. The cartels "moved" growing in Mexico to the northern states. They also used Dutch and Northern California genetics for growing that weed.

In the Yucatan there were several landrace strains. I forget the names of them off the top of my head. Nicaragua, Guatemala and Honduras had their own landraces that were similar. They were not like the Panama or Colombian strains. Belize had some really good landrace weed up to the early 1980s when the DEA busted that Kentucky import operation (the so called Cornbread Mafia).

Last edited by Big Sur; 03-26-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:26 AM

Default Managing the stretch - Part 1

Greeting MNS time travelers,

Big Sur, kbonsai and musashi, thanks for your comments and well wishes.

I've been carefully observing this grow and thought I'd share. When I put the clones in the flower tent nine days ago, it took several days for the plants to get going...for a while I suspected a problem with the big batch of nutes I had mixed up (while high ) or maybe something wrong in the coco/perlite media, because some of them got very pale green. The image below is a composite showing the puntodorado plants on days 0, 5 and 9 of 12/12. I still think they look like they could all use more nitrogen.

Plants #4 (upper right) and #8 (lower left) had not rooted when I put them into the tent, and I'm still not sure they will. The others are doing well. Once they can build up a little root mass they start growing fast. PD2 and PD10 are now growing 1 inch per day; both of these plants had very vigorous root growth.

Based on very early preflowers on the 8-week-old seed plants, it looks like #2 and #5 are males. Interesting how bushy #7 looks at this stage, like mom did, so I think it leans toward the punto rojo side.

I think I have about five more weeks of stretching to deal with. If they stretch about 1-1.5 inches per day I'll be in good shape.

Last edited by Marcus_in_the_Darkus; 03-30-2020 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:15 AM

Old leaves yellowing almost always means that they need more nitrogen. Any plant, not just Cannabis.

Old rule of a thumb: Old leaves turning yellow, your plants needs nitrogen. New leaves turning yellow, your plant needs iron (chelated iron at that). This is because nitrogen is very mobile in plants, and thus they will scavenge nitrogen from old leaves to grow new ones if they are low on nitrogen. Iron is fixed in leaves, so they cannot move it around, hence plants low on iron will have new leaves that are yellow. You generally need chelated iron in alkaline soils, as alkaline soils bind up any available iron and it will not be available to plant roots, no matter how much is in there. Chelated iron is not bound up by alkaline soils so it can be absorbed by plant roots, no matter the pH of the soil.

Similarly in acid soils, iron is freed up, but phosphates become bound up by metals in low pH. Hence why I use super phosphate in acid soils, and chelated iron (Ironite) in alkaline soils. No, I do not grow organic... why limit things to only that? Plants make no distinction between organic, synthetic or inorganic fertilizers. Its all the same to them (yes, UC Davis and many other university studies have proven that).
Old 03-31-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_in_the_Darkus View Post

Nice set-up...

Peace.

‎قەشقەر
Old 03-31-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sur View Post
Old leaves yellowing almost always means that they need more nitrogen. Any plant, not just Cannabis.

Old rule of a thumb: Old leaves turning yellow, your plants needs nitrogen. New leaves turning yellow, your plant needs iron (chelated iron at that). This is because nitrogen is very mobile in plants, and thus they will scavenge nitrogen from old leaves to grow new ones if they are low on nitrogen. Iron is fixed in leaves, so they cannot move it around, hence plants low on iron will have new leaves that are yellow. You generally need chelated iron in alkaline soils, as alkaline soils bind up any available iron and it will not be available to plant roots, no matter how much is in there. Chelated iron is not bound up by alkaline soils so it can be absorbed by plant roots, no matter the pH of the soil.

Similarly in acid soils, iron is freed up, but phosphates become bound up by metals in low pH. Hence why I use super phosphate in acid soils, and chelated iron (Ironite) in alkaline soils. No, I do not grow organic... why limit things to only that? Plants make no distinction between organic, synthetic or inorganic fertilizers. Its all the same to them (yes, UC Davis and many other university studies have proven that).
Lots of good insight here Big Sur. I guess my photo didn't upload, so trying again! Let me know if this strain looks similar to anything you know of/have seen before. This is the plant from seeds acquired near Belize boarder near Lake Bacalar in Quintana Roo, Mexico. It's priceless to have insight from someone who has detailed knowledge of the histories of these "hot spot" areas. Like I said before, based on the looks of this small girl, she seems to be close to pure sativa. She's on the 6-7th node and only putting out sets of 3 leafs at a time.

Last edited by kbonsai; 03-31-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the comments, hombres.

Thought I'd post a pic to show the spread in pheno from this seed pop. Sorry about the yellowish light in the photo, they all look pretty healthy right now. This is #10 on the left and #7 on the right. I've never seen such huge leaves on a plant this small as I have on #7...she's only 5 inches tall yet that fan leaf is larger than my hand. The punto rojo mother had pretty large leaves in veg and early flower, but #7 is an outlier. I'm thinking it may be an inadvertent cross of punto rojo x The Doors, but I'm pretty sure I culled the Doors male before mom showed any pistils last summer. So far I like #10's structure the best.

It can be challenging determining sex on these Colombians. The very early preflowers on #2 certainly had that spade shape that says it's a male, but last night #2 was definitely showing a couple early pistillate flowers. So far after 13 days of 12/12 it looks like I have four females, one male and three not showing yet. Of the three unrooted clones i flowered, one has died (#8), one has rooted and is taking off, while the other appears to have rooted but is still a 2" dwarf.