Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 6. Breeders support and information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2020, 03:45 PM

She sure stretched out in that little pot.

There's got to be some gems in those seeds. Congrats on making some new PuntoRojo lines!

If I were you I'd be having some hard decisions on what to grow out next. The TLT PR x PR '78 piques my curiosity the most. That 78 pollen has a Jurassic Park vibe going.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaFish View Post
If I were you I'd be having some hard decisions on what to grow out next. The TLT PR x PR '78 piques my curiosity the most. That 78 pollen has a Jurassic Park vibe going.
Greetings Fish (and WWWW)!

It was a pretty easy decision...I popped 10 of the TLT PR x '78PR seeds a week ago. They took their sweet-ass time germinating; for a while it looked like I might have made some sterile seeds. As of this morning, 7 are up and 2 more are on the way for a 90% germination rate. I think my (relatively) cold basement must be slowing them down. Here they are, in all their skinny-first-leaved glory. I plan to veg them for a couple months, take cuts in April, flower them in May, harvest in September and enjoy a nicely cured pure sativa smoke in about a year! I usually am not crazy about running the flowering tent in the heat of late summer but these Colombians really respond well to warm temperatures, which should bring out the best expressions I can muster in my indoor grow environment. These long-legged Colombians require some serious advanced planning. I'm really excited to run these and see what I get. I've flowered out the mother two times now and have a good feel for how that plant behaves, so it'll be interesting to see what the nearly extinct 1978 genetics bring to the table. Wish me luck!

Old 02-03-2020, 05:38 PM

Best of luck Marcus. Late 70s-early 80s Columbian gold is my very favorite weed I have ever had.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_in_the_Darkus View Post
Greetings Fish (and WWWW)!

It was a pretty easy decision...I popped 10 of the TLT PR x '78PR seeds a week ago. They took their sweet-ass time germinating; for a while it looked like I might have made some sterile seeds. As of this morning, 7 are up and 2 more are on the way for a 90% germination rate. I think my (relatively) cold basement must be slowing them down. Here they are, in all their skinny-first-leaved glory. I plan to veg them for a couple months, take cuts in April, flower them in May, harvest in September and enjoy a nicely cured pure sativa smoke in about a year! I usually am not crazy about running the flowering tent in the heat of late summer but these Colombians really respond well to warm temperatures, which should bring out the best expressions I can muster in my indoor grow environment. These long-legged Colombians require some serious advanced planning. I'm really excited to run these and see what I get. I've flowered out the mother two times now and have a good feel for how that plant behaves, so it'll be interesting to see what the nearly extinct 1978 genetics bring to the table. Wish me luck!

good luck with these
Old 02-17-2020, 04:14 PM

Default 21 days from seed

Thanks for the good wishes, PMB and kangalunacy.

The uniqueness of these long-legged sativas really hit me last week when I was in Denver and visited a few dispensaries. I never thought legalization would ruin weed but I'm not impressed with what I saw and sampled. All the commercial weed comes in these tiny machine-trimmed buds. Mostly it seems to have been bred for "dankness." Now I like a good stinky bud as much as the next guy, but these smells seep through plastic containers! And I'm pretty sure it all comes from the Afghani side of these poly-squared hybrids. Effects are short lived and sleepy. That's OK, a lot of people enjoy dispensary weed, and I'm sure there are some gems in the mix.

The ignorance out there is pervasive; very few of the younger crowd have ever seen or smoked a pure sativa. To test this theory, I asked a budtender at each dispensary if a pure sativa was available. The hot, detached, aloof budtender chick at the first place said, "That's impossible." It would seem that I have several jars filled with impossibility in my closet. The baked 20something dude at the next dispensary said "Maybe you could've found a pure sativa 30 years ago." Perhaps my closet is a time machine? The older guy at the next place knew a little about sativas, and recommended headband or blue dream, then started showing me distillates and telling me how awesome they are. I've met a lot of dealers in my life, but this guy was the first pusher I've ever run across. That term carried a lot of weight in the 1960s and 70s.

OK, back to the plants. They are all doing well at about 3 weeks from first soak of the seeds. All 10 seeds eventually came up and I numbered them in the order that they showed roots. They are arranged from top-bottom and left-right in the photo. I have them vegging under LED shoplights in a flood/ebb setup with Jack's 321 diluted down to about 500 ppm. Most are on their third node. The cabinet they are in is fairly cold this time of year, probably around 60-65 F. The colder temps may affect leaf morphology. Despite the cooler temps, these plants still have pretty narrow leaves at this stage. They will get very crowded in this 2' x 2' tray by the time I take cuts in about 6 weeks.

Edited to add that I've recently been smoking some of the 15-month-cured punto rojo x mangobiche - the second-tier plants from that grow, and the weed is excellent. Really great flavor and effect, scrawny, airy buds and lots of seeds! If we could get these old sativas into the dispensaries we could truly make America great again.

Last edited by Marcus_in_the_Darkus; 02-17-2020 at 06:48 PM. Reason: dyslexia and weed, not necessarily in that order
Old 02-18-2020, 05:59 AM

Aloha brah!

Excellent post! I agree that legalization has brought a certain complacent conformity to todays dispensary offerings. Commercially, seems like greed and short term profit has replaced the growing of 12+ week sativas which require more time, skill and resources. Too bad. Fortunately for the more discerning, we have options through MNS as well as other companies that offer sativa seeds. We've come a long way from the days of buying "lids".

Looking forward to how these turn out. Best of luck.

Shaka
Mu
Old 02-18-2020, 07:51 PM

Hey brah!
Haven’t finished my rant yet. Last time I was in a dispensary, the young “budkeeper” pushed the SSH he had as being the best in town. I bought an eighth on looks and was very disappointed. Even the standard blue dream was subpar. I have yet to find anything resembling sativa in these shops and certainly nothing can touch home grown in potency. Not even close. All about shiny. No bias here lol /r

Shaka
Mu
Old 02-18-2020, 11:35 PM

The new babies are looking uniform so far. Gotta be true F1 sativas. Looking familar to me too... like pr x mb seedlings.

Haha yeah your closet IS a time machine! Pollen from 40 year old seeds... PrimalHaze.

It feels good to see you are still enjoying the Punto Biche

Last edited by CannaFish; 02-18-2020 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi View Post
Hey brah!
Last time I was in a dispensary, the young “budkeeper” pushed the SSH he had as being the best in town. I bought an eighth on looks and was very disappointed. Even the standard blue dream was subpar. I have yet to find anything resembling sativa in these shops and certainly nothing can touch home grown in potency. Not even close. All about shiny.
A most righteous rant, brother Musashi. I honestly haven't even opened the eighth I brought home from Denver...would much rather smoke a 15-month-cured Colombian or The Doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaFish View Post
The new babies are looking uniform so far. Gotta be true F1 sativas. Looking familar to me too... like pr x mb seedlings.

Haha yeah your closet IS a time machine! Pollen from 40 year old seeds... PrimalHaze.

It feels good to see you are still enjoying the Punto Biche
Hey Fish! Seriously, this puntobiche has gotten so much better after a long cure, the aromas in the jar are straight outta the 1970s and the effect is extraordinarily clear-headed and soaring yet dreamy. Easy to get stuff done, definitely caffeinated weed, but I don't find it racey. The lady friend loves it too, God bless her, and has told me PRM#3 is the best one yet. I've turned her into a sativa snob! I only have a couple jars left and they are now highly coveted.

Quick update on the plants, they are all doing well and looking healthy. Very light feeding (around 400 ppm) and cold temps (60s), so they're taking their time. After about a month from seed they are mostly on their 5th node and looking fairly landracey, uniform, skinny leaves, similar structures. #3, 6 and 8 seem to have the best shot at being a wire-leaf pheno.

They'll be ready for cuts in a few weeks. Maybe I'll be able to report on veg aromas at that point.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_in_the_Darkus View Post
...would much rather smoke a 15-month-cured Colombian or The Doors.
No argument here. I love the old Columbian, lots of memories surfing on warm summer days. The stuff just made you feel good and energized. Good hunting brah!

Shaka
Mu