Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 6. Breeders support and information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2018, 08:39 PM

Default Get me to The Greek!

Hey, I am looking for the (rare) Greek Kalamata strain, also known as Kalamata Red or SE Euro weed. A guy on here called L33t was growing it a few years ago, but his inbox is full here and he has been banned over on IcyRag (like I was). I have been looking for this strain and real deal Cambodian Red for a long time now. I am a landrace sativa junkie, what can I say?
Old 05-29-2018, 07:28 AM

Hey Bro,

I am currently in the process of starting a farm for medicinal production in Greece.

During that process I have looked into Kalamata Red in order to have a landrace genetic of the country in my stable from the start.

I was in Kalamata and was told to stick to the soldiers stationed there as it always went through their hands back in the days.
Nobody knew what I was talking about or at least acted the part.

Things will change in the near future but for now, the status of Cannabis in Greece is still very illegal and accordingly, people are very careful and don't share for fear of prosecution.

Once I set up my farm there, I will continue to search for the strain and am confident that I will get it eventually but that might still be a year or two out.

At the moment, it is very hard to find. I would be very interested if you find anything. But I wouldn't hold my breath. Like I said, I was there, in Kalamata, and couldn't get it even when I went to the soldiers themselves and asked around.

And to expand:
By all accounts, it seems that the Kalamata red was simply a Punto Rojo or similar Sativa strain from Colombia.
It is both my hope and assumption that the good reputation it has gotten through the past, stems mainly from it being grown in the ideal climate and soil of Greece.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:57 PM

I know several Greeks and I was supposed to go to Greece with them last summer, but the plans were changed last minute. I am aware of the laws there about growing weed. I also know for a fact that Kalamata is still grown there, and not all of it is in Greece. Kalamata is not a Colombian derived strain. Way different strains and way different bloom times. I am talking about the real Greek Kalamata sativa here, not the later Dutch hybrids that have infested the world. I seriously doubt that Colombian beans were ever planted and grown in in Greece.

Colombian landraces were far newer to the scene than they were in Greece. Not that Colombian strains are bad, and in many cases, Colombian landraces grown in the 1970s are now thought to be extinct. Us California 'hippies' are the only people that have those seeds any more. I have over a dozen different Colombian landrace strains in my collection, including Wacky (Black), west coast green, Punto rojo, Punta Roja, Santa Marta/Highland Gold, Santa Miguelito, Punto Creepy, etc. Colombian weed production was very small scale until after the canal was built there and not really until WWII. It only ramped up during WWII for rope production, and then as a sideline for Mj production. Colombian production only boomed after the VietNam War ended, and Nixon sprayed the fields in Mexico with Paraquat. Then Colombian weed production really went into high gear (along with Vitamin "C" production).

Historically speaking, Greece became the epicenter of hash making for the Egyptian market after the Turks shut down hash production. Hash had been made in Greece for over a millennia before it was shut down hard in the 1930s. Legend has it that the strains in Greece were brought from Siam over 1,000 years ago. Saim included what is now VietNam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand. After hash making was banned in Greece, hash production moved to Lebanon. One theory is that Greek Kalamata was a strain derived from Lebanon. But I believe it was more likely the other way around. I have grown a LOT of Lebanese. Unlike many that describe Lebanese as an indica, IMO it grows and smokes and blooms like a sativa. Except it blooms super early. It is also totally smokable as colas, and it has light floral terpenes. There is no need to make Lebby weed into hash, other than to increase potency. The two phenos that Lebanese throws finish in early and late September. The two leading theories are that Lebanese landraces grown in the Bekaaa Valley are either from an early strain that was grown there on a smaller scale for over a millennia, or it is a hybrid of Greek Kalamata and a Turkish indica.

At any rate, Lebanese comes out in DNA testing as its own strain, and it is not closely related to any others. Greek Kalamata is also very likely its own thing. It may come up more distantly related to Thai, which is also what Colombian comes up as. Meaning that Thailand was likely the source of both. L33t has some good posts about growing The Greek (what he calls SE Euro) over on the ICrag forum. I have had several leads on seeds, but they have all fallen through. The same has happened for real deal Cambodian Red, which I am also looking for. I have smoked Cambo Red from stashes that friends in the NV war sent back. That stuff was an incredible zippy weed that I have not seen or smoked since 1973. Most of what is out there now called Cambo Red is crap. I did find some VietNam Black seeds though. High in THCv, which gives it the zip, like Durban Poison. Durban Poison is also extinct now in SA according to my friends there, replaced with Swazi strains. I have real deal Durban growing here now, and I am re-breeding my own line for bloom stability, high THCv and original Durban anise terpenes. I believe I have it nailed down now.

Anyway, I hope that you do well growing in Greece and get ahold of the real Greek Kalamata Red. Sadly Europe is way behind North America in legalizing weed. Not that legalizing it has not seen its problems. The issue here now is that if they re-shcedule weed to schedule II from I, then the FDA will be able to regulate it. All we need is MORE federal regulation. Canada will legalize weed next month. But it will all be state controlled weed there. Oh well, at least I can grow my own weed here and breed IBL landraces to try to preserve the old strains that I love to smoke. I am a sativa junkie. Too many strains have been crossed with indicas IMO.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:16 PM

Only quibble with that history BS is that Columbian gold was already sought after by the time Paraquat was happening. Yes, it wasn't as big a thing until after the paraquat thing. I do remember very clearly a dealer friend of my sister stating that he could sell the paraquat weed at a higher price because it "looks like lumbo gold!" This was in the days where any green in weed indicated inferior weed, at least to us Midwestern hicks. I know, it's hilarious from today's perspective.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:20 PM
Banned

G `day BS

Cool story bro .

Cpl of details ; Ottoman Empire ? No mention ?
Dominant power in the region till early 1900s .
It was Christians who moved to Lebanon and continued hash making there.
Having learnt the Hash sifting from Muslim folks in Greece.
The Christians migrated to Lebanon . Not welcome in Greece any longer .

re Colombian . American Fruit co established trade route from Colombia to USA . When banana imports slowed Lumbo replaced it .

Thanks for sharin

EB .
Old 06-26-2018, 04:04 PM

Default “The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant.”

Good luck on the search for the Greek. L33t did write ..."I keep the strain pure and I have created 36 lines from 3 brothers and 12 sisters to test the best combinations.. This strain has one of the smallest trichomes but its very frosty"

Besides L33t, I think I've read about one other grower with kalamata or cretan strains. Gert Lush, I think he's still a member here. If you can get hold of GertLush you might be able to reach L33t. Here's a post from him on a UK forum...

"I have tried to run a couple of small seed batches that were sourced in Greece and allegedly Kalamata, but for one reason or the other the results weren't really good (so far, anyway).
I currently have a small batch of seeds from the mount Olympus area (nr. Larissa), which came from A+++ weed, and which I am probably going to run this winter. Incidentally, the locals from that area are quite adamant that their stuff is better than Kalamata uch: well... you know how locals are!
BTW, there was never really a Greek landrace hash strain, all the traditional stuff (Kalamata, Crete, Agrinio, Thessaly and Rhodope) are all pretty "sativa" with varying levels of 'electrification'. The hash that was cultivated briefly (and officially) at the end of the 19th century, mainly in the Northern Peloponese, would have been of Middle Eastern provenance, Lebanese and Turkish varieties mainly I would imagine. I have somewhere a directive sponsored by the Greek Ministry of Agriculture, and authored by one of the regional mayors on how to cultivate hashish for maximum reward! Seed prices, labour costs, cultivation, male removal, by-products, everything.... it's hilarious and surprisingly accurate considering it's over 100 yrs old. I may translate it sometime for a laugh.
In the meantime I think you'll do well with Namkha's Bekaa Lebanese, I'll be running them, too, at some stage. Feel free to PM me if you want more info on other sites with Greek weed info, you know I'm not allowed to say "Jehovah" on this board lol Oh shit, I said it..."

" namkha said:
Interesting info, many thanks
I'm surprised you think that the Greeks never really had a proper hashish strain...

Hi Namkha,
Yeah, it's not just me, that's the accepted view and backed somewhat by documentation. I'll try and find the Ministerial Directive for you and translate.
Basically, before 1821 what is modern Greece was part of the Ottoman Empire. As it is, Greeks were never really a big-time ganja nation, perhaps a few old-timers in the villages. In the more Northern parts of Greece, where there were far larger cross-cultural influences, with Greeks, Turks, Bulgarians, Pomaks, Gypsies, Sephardic Jews and Wallachians sharing the space before the ethnic purges of the Balkan wars, things were a little different, and I imagine far more hash was present. This ties in somewhat with popular lore. In fact this area did not gain independence and join up with Greece until 1912! Up to then it was pretty much a Levantine scene, with many Sufi influences and hash would have been a pretty unremarkable phenomenon. Since Turkey already had well established hashish growing areas, especially the renown product from the Bursa region, there may have been little incentive to cultivate on the difficult, rocky Greek soil. Further, trasport was not really an issue as it was a stone's throw from say Salonica to Bursa, and all this was in the domain of the Sultan.
The interesting period lies shortly after Greek independence stretching to the eventual outlawing of cannabis at the turn of the century.
With independence many Levantine Greeks came back, bringing their gardening knowledge with them. Meantime, Egypt had outlawed hash and there was a gaping demand to be filled in the market. This was due in part to the neurotic nature of Napoleon and his aftermath, and partly due to the discomfort that Egyptian middle and ruling classes had with the "lower orders". They felt that it was a threat to society as it made the common man laugh at them. I believe this is on record. Oh, the impertinence! :applause:
Anyway, almost ALL of Greece's then legal hash crop, which had only appeared and started systematically around, say, 1850, was being run into Egypt illegally and for handsome profits by smugglers. Some also made its way into Europe and some even into the States, where Greek refugees had recently made their appearance. Their use of HASHISH (not Mexi-brick, hehe) is also documented, and I believe one of the few clandestine hash houses in New York was owned by a Greek.
The main agricultural area of hash production in Greece, I believe was in the NW Peloponese, while perhaps a few thousand acres in total were under canna, before Prohibition struck. However, as I said, this hash was not indigenous/traditional, it was a new-fangled earner of the day. OTOH, no-one has really studied the history of the "sativa" landrace stock, which is lost in the mists of time. I have some ideas on the subject (the key being the origin of the Cretan stock) but without proper DNA analysis to solve the mystery, they are merely speculation."

Lebanese - Page 2 - The Real Seed Company - UK420

Old 06-26-2018, 05:34 PM

Hello!My idea is that the Greek, Lebanese, southern Italian (the famous red calabresella), the true Albanian strains, are all related, ie they derive from the union of hashplant with fiber hemp(the Mediterranean climate favors the increase of thc also in fiber hemp).
obviously it's just a theory, but fiber crops were once widespread throughout the Mediterranean, and I think it was impossible not to hybridize them with ganjah...
Old 06-29-2018, 08:42 PM

Well, as far as having dedicated hashish strains of plants, I believe that is a modern myth. The landrace Lebanese from Bekaa Valley that I have grown a lot of show far more sativa traits than anything indica, yet all the books and so called 'experts' say its an indica. What people call hash plants are typically indicas from Afghanistan and Pakistan, for whatever reason. Yes, they made hash from them, but indicas are not the only source of making hashish. Mexican, Nepalese, Malana, Kona and Lebanses hash was/is all made from sativa strains.

My experience smoking hashish from the world over is from the 1970s. I saw lots and lots of hashish in NorCal, including some exotics. Standard fair was Pakistani, Lebanese and Moroccan, brought in from Europe by US Army GIs based in Germany. The Paki and Moroccan was usually gray to dark green in color, sometimes brownish shades, typically the consistency of shoe leather. We also got a lot of Lebanese blonde and red from various sources. The blonde was grey-white and the red was a red-brown color. Both were very dense and I liked the Lebanese red the best of the Asian/African hash. Then there were the bright green Temple palls and Fingers from Nepal. I was not too taken with Nepalese hashish. It was typically more crumbly. We also got greenish hash from Mexico. It was middle of the road hash. About like Moroccan. OK but not the best.

Of the more exotic types, I also had Israeli hash, pressed into a big kilo size Star of David. It was similar to Lebanese blonde, light green-grey in color. I was pretty kick ass hash. The BEST Hashish that I have ever smoked was Kona Gold hash. Now, the Big Island was not known for making hash, nor was Kona Gold (sourced from Colombian Gold sativa seed stock) typically grown for that. But they made some great hashish there in the later 1970s. *THE* best hashish, bar none. The Kona Gold hash was crumbly in texture. It had that ~velvet~ smell. Then there was cream hash; hand rubbed hashish or charas from northern India (ie., Malana) and from Jamaica. Malana, India is probably the hardest place to get to in the world. And once you are there no one wants you to touch them or anything there. Except your money. Cream is made form rubbing fresh plants with your hands and scraping off the goo. It is the same as scissor hash when harvesting and trimming colas. I like this hash a lot, but it can be very intense. Scissor cream is the only hash I smoke any more, other than the hash oil that I make using ethanol extraction with year old weed in winter.

I never smoked any Greek or Turkish hash. I wish I had, but they did not appear on my radar. I got landrace seeds from the Bekaa Valley, Lebanon with the intent of making hashish from them. But the weed is so good and floral that I do not see any need to make hash out of these. Until they get a year+ old, then I will make screen rubbed hash out of them. That should be fun when it is snowing outside this coming winter.

Last edited by Big Sur; 06-29-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:02 PM

Some Lebanese colas grown here last year...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lebby indica colas SM.JPG (134.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 06-29-2018, 09:03 PM

Yes,also true kif plants of maroc are sativa,like all Mediterranean strain(as i say),when i say "hashplant" i mean plant for to make hashish,not only sativa....also some afghani landrace can be considered "sativa",or better,NLD,....
About hashish from Jamaica,one time a old uncle of my jamaican friend told me they dont smoke hashish,only weed,but i dont know if he mean only Rastafarians or all Jamaican people....