Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 6. Breeders support and information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 03:45 PM

Default Beam's quick and dirty CBD assay test

Hi guys. I came across this the other day and thought it could be of use to MNS members.

Quote:
The needed reagents are:

5% KOH(Potassium hydroxide) in 95% ethanol
(5g KOH in 100 ml 95% ethanol)

Petroleum ether, Naptha or other organic solvent to remove the cannabinoids from a sample of your choosing.

Place 1-2 grams of your sample flowers in an oven until dry @ 150 degrees Celsius for 5 minutes. Extract in a small glass vessel (shot glass?) for 10 minutes in 10 ml of your Petroleum ether, other organic solvent, naptha, etc.

Filter and remove the leaf material using a coffee filter or similar, catch the liquid extract

Take 1 ml of the extract and dry on a white porcelain dish like an egg cup, saucer, or similar. (Gently heat the dish to evaporate the liquid phase of the extract). You will have a dish with remnants of resin leftover once the liquid has evaporated.

Place 5 drops of your 5% KOH in ethanol solution on your plate, and wait about 10 minutes. You will see a distinct violet/purple/pink color from samples containing CBD which could be Chemotype II or III plants - in the case of CBD Lullaby they will be only Type I and II plants- THC only plants (chemotype i) will not show this colour.

It's a relatively simple test and anyone can do it, you just need to order KOH from Amazon or your local soap making store and pick up a solvent from your local hardware store. The ethanol will probably be the most difficult thing to source, but it is available as "Everclear" or 190 proof ethyl alcohol from your local provincial or state run liquor store, depending on your location.

Hope that comes in handy....
-Chimera
___
Old 07-12-2014, 01:58 AM

Nice post, Would this work with immature vegetative material instead of flowers?
Old 05-10-2015, 11:22 PM

ole Chimeria test)

Its a cheaper way of doing it than other products used to do the same thing really, - not sure why he bothers to do it though, - we already know there are cbd's in a plant if were experienced etc, maybe he's looking for a plant with no cbd's or similar,?

I tried it though and works like mentioned, just no info like a profile kit of sorts, these are pretty expensive and handing over 4 large to someone overseas I don't know other than online is risky business.

Links to various threads Ive previously written on the forums here - ie: - On breeding pink skunks/
old super skunk hybrid - Medicinal type -

http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/6-breeders-support-information/6918-breeding-pink-skunks.html

http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/16-bud-sh...ldt-cross.html
Old 05-11-2015, 01:07 AM

very cool info.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Its a cheaper way of doing it than other products used to do the same thing really, - not sure why he bothers to do it though, - we already know there are cbd's in a plant if were experienced etc, maybe he's looking for a plant with no cbd's or similar,?
Chimera provided that information because he has a variety that throws both CBD/THC and THC only chemotypes. Just wanted to give a simple tek to identify the presence of CBD.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
ole Chimeria test)

I tried it though and works like mentioned, just no info like a profile kit of sorts, these are pretty expensive and handing over 4 large to someone overseas I don't know other than online is risky business.
High Bambi!

Did you use naptha for the solvent? Did the KOH dissolve in the naptha? Mine's just sitting there!
Old 08-30-2015, 06:31 PM

Finally trying this on some CBD shark leaf material.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:01 PM

Ill use this thread a little bit.
Hi guys im new here same as Im new in topic of cbd.
I wanted try out some oil for joints pain I have readed that could help and feel relief. Could u help which should i try for the beginning extractions ? oils ? capsules ? https://bionativa.co.uk/cbd-products/ and how much 500g ? or more ? Thanks for reply