Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 6. Breeders support and information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 06:02 PM
barletta

Default He-She's (not on Christopher St)

I have a nice, well structured, stinky EQ male. I was planning on some 1:1 f2's from him and a female. I really only wanted the f2's because the plants are so similar. I chop them up pretty good to keep the flowering sites under control. I have to think the rough stuff, less love/light/nutes/overall attention stressem pretty good. Well today, I noticed a few calyxes on him. Not taking over, but ~4 or 5 in 1 'budsite'.

I am thinking that this should DQ him for Stud duty automatically. I figgure that as a closet breeder/pollenchukkin hack, the least that I could do is not use plants that 'go both ways' for seed makin. I have read (and at heart I disagreed with them) that males that show calyxes are a GOOD thing. I haven't looked into it since I DQ'd an Orange D male. He was a lil more aggressive with the calyxes, under less stress.

I have a few days before he is dribblin, and prolly 2-3 wks before he is 'full-on', so no rush. But I wanted to drop the question here to see if anyone has used such a male, and what (if any) the bi-curiousness did for/to the offspring.

I really don't know, but my heart says don't use him. I DO want ~2000 EQ f2's to throw around in the spring....
Old 08-18-2008, 07:05 PM
JessE

Hey man
I think the short answer is too only use true male and true female plants when making future generations. I know it can be a tough decision to make, I had a very special male that went girly on me late in life and it was disapointing to say the least. I had plans for that plant!

The hermi plants tend to pass that characteristic on to their offspring, and some would deem those seeds completely useless because of that very fact. You have to weigh your options when considering the future offspring would have the tendency to hermy within their capacity and could spring on you at any point during the grow and ruin your entire crop. Instead of 2,000 seeds to play with, you have 10,000 hermi proned 3rd generation EQ's.

Now thats ofcourse the worse case scenario, one scenario of plenty that could unfold. I have read of others using the hermi proned seeds and not getting a single hermy the next season. But the choice is yours at this point, I personally would can his ass and chulk it up to one of those might of, could have's. But like I said, Ive only described the worse case scenario. Ultimately the choice is yours, and when you start looking at the risk you take to have the seeds delivered to you and the price ofcourse you have a few things to consider. But the right thing to do would probably be toss him and look forward to your next oppurtunity to make some beans or use an alternative pollen source.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:19 PM
barletta

That's what I'm thinking. I KNOW that I saw some people @ IC talking bout linked traits, and males that show could be beneficial to the female offspring... I have been digging over there for the threads. I know that if I start a thread, the first page will have a few 'use search feature' replies.

I think that Ima look for those threads/comments for a day or 2, and unless the case gets made REAL WELL, out he goes. I still have 1/2 a pack of EQ's to look through.

EDIT - Those threads are BRUTAL. People have all sorts of Q's and they are in 1 thread... Eyes bleeding....

Last edited by barletta; 08-18-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:20 PM
barletta

Chopped him (it).

I found the threads, and the folks that were pro-use hadn't grown the progeny out. They were also quoting Rev (Sk mag, could take or leave his advice for the most part) and DjS (I respect a bunch). The thing is, both of these guys have the space to at least grow AT LEAST 50 females, and to keep males long-term. I am not down/equipped for a project like that. I will be dropping the remaining EQ and G/Sk seeds on the fall chop. No more bean makin till then...

Dropped the 4 (spice x ssh) x ssh(fem) yesterday. Will be interesting to see how they come out.

EDIT - ....No more bean makin till then... Unless I get a healthy pakalolo male (or 2 ideally) to spread around. Should know ~ 2wks.. And I have a c99 x HP to cross to a superspice outside...

Last edited by barletta; 08-19-2008 at 04:24 PM.