Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 12:36 AM

Last edited by orangewidow; 12-21-2011 at 03:40 AM. Reason: linky
Old 12-12-2011, 12:59 AM
JessE

With a number of the more popular strain names in popular culture today one will find roots in the online cannabis community to some extent or another. For many years, books from guys like Ed Rosenthal and R.C Clarke were the pantheon of cannabis knowledge for growers around the world. There was no internet or other wide spread source of learning material, there were a handful of books from the old guys, word of mouth and personal experience. That was essentially it.

When the internet was born, and the online cannabis forum started to pick up momentum, a revolution in cannabis knowledge was born and today some of the most advanced knowledge about the plant anywhere can be found at forums just like Mr. Nice Seeds.

When I first arrived online, strains such as Nirvana Blueberry were being actively marketed to the customers. The push was kind of insane, it seemed like everywhere you looked someone was talking about Nirvana Blueberry or BushyOlderGrowers Blueberry plants. Im willing to bet Nirvana made a killing from that marketing run, as Overgrow was quite popular by that point and only continued to grow in popularity.

Once the blueberry phenomena ultimately wore down, Train wreck started to get a lot of push on the forums. Then came the OG and Bubba Kushes, which were marketed particularly heavy at Icmag yet remained remarkably difficult to acquire? With legends being born of the $5,000 cutting being sold etc.

And of course that is where the S1, feminized trend really started to pick up. As these strains were difficult to obtain in their clone only forms, so of course Gypsy Nirvana offered up a solution to those who were unknowingly beseiged with the marketing campaigns going on at Gypsys forum and many of these lines were sold to people clamoring to get ahold of the next big hype being sold at the forums.

This may explain to a degree how there are so many OG Kush varieties for example, with seemingly every name in the book being attached to a kush label anymore. As long as its good, people do not seem to care if Kush is really Skunk?

Interesting to note the relation of some of these strains, such as OG Kush, ChemDawg, Sour Diesel, Massachusetts Super Skunk etc. Many of these afore mentioned strains started to pick up momentum one after another, and were linked in numerous continuously evolving stories as to milk the money making hype marketing scheme as long as possible.

In the process creating an underground cultural phenomena while swelling a select fews bank accounts to a hefty degree. A great deal of these varieties are all simply the result of marketing campaigns designed to sell seed with old, well known varieties given a new name and a face lift essentially.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:01 AM
coop

Mass Super is a strain that goes back to the late 70s. Its not the same as sensi's super skunk.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:25 AM

Last edited by orangewidow; 12-21-2011 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:36 AM

The "SD" that you have is probably some kind of chemdog cross. No one sells the original SD because it was a hermi plant that was grown from seed and passed around as a clone only strain. The original SD clone only genetics were 91 chemdog x mass super skunk/NL. From what I have heard RP has OG kush which is some kind of 91 chemdog. They also offer Sour D which is his version of 91 chemdog x mass super skunk/NL its his own creation. They also offer Sour kush supposed to be really nice. I have the OG 18 right now a mother thats about 2 feet. I am running PE right now you can see in my I bleen green... Thread. Hope this sheds some light. All the other info is very good as well.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:43 AM
coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangewidow View Post
I just took there to be truth in that guys story when i seen, but it is the internet after all and people can just post what they want the customer to hear

well i don't know if the mss x nl is a parent of the sour d but the lineage would be more correct with it listed as a Sensi NL, the mss if it was a sensi product i would suspect be labeled as such.

The mss was all over umass/western ma back in the day, almost roadkill skunk, but it would burn your nose it was so stanky.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:17 AM

heres a list of the chem family strains...

diesel & it's hybrids are known for both their high potentcies and especially for their distinctive flavor described as a fuel aftertaste. smokers swear it's delicious even if it doesn't sound like it.

diesel coriginated from a colorado indica called chem/dawg as a bagseed female obtained at a greatful dead show. then a dozen seeds from that with an unkown father wound up in massachusetts. it's possible that the original female was an hermaphrodite and self pollinated.

clones from the second batch changed hands when two friends met at a phish concert. the new grower from NYC didn't like the chem/dawg name and called it diesel.

regarding diesel crosses,

sour diesel = massachusets super skunk X diesel (very potent)

OG kush = a sister to sour D

headband, daywrecker diesel & diesel #1 = (super skunk X sensi northern lights) X diesel

soma's NYCD bears little resemblance to real diesel & is weaker

bubblechem = bubbleberry X chem/dawg

chem/dawg d = a pheno from the original batch

chm/dawg sister = another original

lemon diesel is from oregon

supersnowdawg = snow X skunk X bubblechem

super dawg (aka orange diesel) = superskunk X chem/dawg d

& elvis diesel is SOME member of the chem dawg family crossed with elvis

elvis is an east coast sative that finishes fast. it gets it's name from it's polyester flavor, but it also has berries and dirt flavors. it has a no cieling high that's uplifting, energetic & creative

.................................................. ........

as for the sour diesel. i grew the real cut out for about 3 years, along with one of its sister phenos, the strawberry diesel.

the real deal is amazing. lanky, but such a heavy yielder. the smell is overpowering in flowering, and you better have good ventilation!
i could yield a qp a plant indoors easy with a 4 week veg!

very sensitive to nutes though. finicky in the start but once shes finishing she will take everything youve got.

im a HUGE FAN of the chem family. im not sure where nevil sees the ssh in this particular strain. or at least the one i worked with.

i paid 1500 for my cut and i know its super credible. this was before the hype.

if i still had the cut, thats all i would be running. shit goes for 500 an ounce! hahahahaha.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:23 AM
Scorpion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife View Post
heres a list of the chem family strains...

diesel & it's hybrids are known for both their high potentcies and especially for their distinctive flavor described as a fuel aftertaste. smokers swear it's delicious even if it doesn't sound like it.

diesel coriginated from a colorado indica called chem/dawg as a bagseed female obtained at a greatful dead show. then a dozen seeds from that with an unkown father wound up in massachusetts. it's possible that the original female was an hermaphrodite and self pollinated.

clones from the second batch changed hands when two friends met at a phish concert. the new grower from NYC didn't like the chem/dawg name and called it diesel.

regarding diesel crosses,

sour diesel = massachusets super skunk X diesel (very potent)

OG kush = a sister to sour D

headband, daywrecker diesel & diesel #1 = (super skunk X sensi northern lights) X diesel

soma's NYCD bears little resemblance to real diesel & is weaker

bubblechem = bubbleberry X chem/dawg

chem/dawg d = a pheno from the original batch

chm/dawg sister = another original

lemon diesel is from oregon

supersnowdawg = snow X skunk X bubblechem

super dawg (aka orange diesel) = superskunk X chem/dawg d

& elvis diesel is SOME member of the chem dawg family crossed with elvis

elvis is an east coast sative that finishes fast. it gets it's name from it's polyester flavor, but it also has berries and dirt flavors. it has a no cieling high that's uplifting, energetic & creative

.................................................. ........

as for the sour diesel. i grew the real cut out for about 3 years, along with one of its sister phenos, the strawberry diesel.

the real deal is amazing. lanky, but such a heavy yielder. the smell is overpowering in flowering, and you better have good ventilation!
i could yield a qp a plant indoors easy with a 4 week veg!

very sensitive to nutes though. finicky in the start but once shes finishing she will take everything youve got.

im a HUGE FAN of the chem family. im not sure where nevil sees the ssh in this particular strain. or at least the one i worked with.

i paid 1500 for my cut and i know its super credible. this was before the hype.

if i still had the cut, thats all i would be running. shit goes for 500 an ounce! hahahahaha.
Originated in Colorado ya say,do you have the time frame of this/
(I know some people out there)
Old 12-12-2011, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by british_hempire View Post
I expect you're right Nev, I was struck by how similar the Super Skunk pic from the 1990 catalogue looked to the Sour Diesel cutting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevil View Post
This one here appears to have a touch of NL5 in it. Without smelling/tasting it I'd say it's a NL5.SKxAfgT.SK.
N.
:hope this helps
Old 12-12-2011, 02:30 AM

Last edited by orangewidow; 12-21-2011 at 03:41 AM.