Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2019, 04:38 PM

I wish people with love for cannabis like me and you guys, would be able to find enough people to make a kind of collective that is focused on preserving the original landraces, maybe by popping seeds choosing the best male/female for every available landrace so to make plenty of seeds from very nice specimens of each landrace.

if only we could have seeds of the 60 landraces that exist or existed in the past, we could maybe preserve all the genome. is it too late ?

am i the only one that is crazy like that ?

it's not legal in canada so since it's one of the first country to legalize, why not establish the collective here ?

let's save the cannabis GENOME for our future and our children !
Old 01-18-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efesto View Post
Greece was a hashish-producing center from the late 1800s until Greece's golden age of hashish use during the 1920s and 1930s. Greek hashish very rarely entered the Western hashish trade. The peak period of Greek hashish use coincided with the flowering of rebetika music. Rebetika is a folk music with lyrics that often sang of hashish and that appealed to audiences and musicians who used hashish. Stefanis et al. (1977) present a well documented history of hashish in Greece:

It is probable that the cultivation of [Cannabis for] hashish [production] was introduced to Greece around 1875 by immigrants from Egypt, Cyprus, and other
eastern areas. By the last decade of the nineteenth century, hashish was openly cultivated for local use and export (Stringaris 1933). Papadopoulos (1959) estimates that before 1915, approximately 26,000 acres (more than 10,000 hectares) in Greece were put to hashish cultivation.

O n March 27, 1890, following a decision of the Medical Council, the Greek Department of Interior issued a circular prohibiting the importation, cultivation, and use of hashish as an imminent threat to society (Stringaris 1933). Despite passage of this restrictive law, in force until 1920, hashish was regularly used in the tekedes
(cafes frequented by hashish smokers), in the harbor area of Piraeus, and in the center of Athens (Petropoulos 1971)

In view of close similarities between the development of Smyrna and Syros (in Turkey), the use of hashish by the inhabitants of Smyrna cannot be dismissed. This view is strongly supported by reports that many of the Asia Minor Greeks repatriated in 1922 were hashish users.

Hashish use flourished during the decade following WWI. Greek soldiers, returning home after the war in Asia Minor, brought back hashish smoking habits
they had learned in Turkey (Couretas 1937).

During the years that followed, hashish use continued despite prescriptive legislation. The retail price was low, making it accessible to many (Vouyoucas 1971).

During the 1920s and 1930s, the highest-quality domestic Greek hashish was sieved from plants grown on the island of Syros. The best hashish available, however, was made in neighboring Turkey (also by sieving). Most of the hashish smoked in the tekes
during the 1920s and 1930s was smuggled from Turkey. The heydays of rebetika teke was short-lived. Hoist (1975) reported that by the late 1930s:

...the days of the tekes were almost over. During the war there was some relaxation of the laws against hashish, but the severe prosecutions of the Metaxas dictatorship (1936-41) had forced many of the tekes to close, and many of the smokers as well as the musicians had fled to Thessalonika, where conditions were somewhat easier. The local police chief Vassilis Mouskoudis, was a rebetika fan, and was prepared to supply musicians with hashish in order to listen to them play buzuki.

Hashish! / Robert Connel Clarke
nice bit of history in our big quest to find the truth about Canna.

Do anyone know what landrace was grown in greece to produce hash, was it some kind of hashplant or afghan?
Old 01-18-2019, 04:44 PM

It is pretty clear to me that the US skunk weed comes from afghan and pakistan hash plant origins. Clandestine growers either grew it pure or crossed it with their other local genetics and we had skunk going around.

Hi Efesto,

Here is something else from the book HASHISH! that is relevant to the skunk seekers. And it also shows how skunk weed popped up in different regions.

from "HASHISH!":

"It is interesting to trace what became of some of these Afghani seeds. When those who traveled the Hippie Hashish Trail returned from their travels, more than a few took home seeds from the broad-leaf Afghani hashish varieties.

These varieties prospered in northern California, Oregon, Hawaii, Arkansas and New York, producing short, wide, well-branched, thoroughly distinctive plants which smelled acrid, as though sprayed by a passing skunk."
Old 01-18-2019, 06:32 PM

My belief is that "skunk" smell is a mish mash of various strong terpenes. Likely too many for our receptors to differentiate very well. This way, skunk could easily rise from various populations.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:50 PM

so maybe that RKS has afghani / hashplant / pakistan afghanistan region genetics in it while sweet skunk is the skunk we all know skunk numba one with colombian gold, acapulco gold and afghani ?

i wonder if someone confirmed that indeed the skunk number 1 was the progeny of those 3 landraces. if someone smart that smoked them, growed them and can confirm it really has this genetic pedigree.

thanks for sharing guys
Old 01-18-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsupernice View Post
I wish people with love for cannabis like me and you guys, would be able to find enough people to make a kind of collective that is focused on preserving the original landraces, maybe by popping seeds choosing the best male/female for every available landrace so to make plenty of seeds from very nice specimens of each landrace.

if only we could have seeds of the 60 landraces that exist or existed in the past, we could maybe preserve all the genome. is it too late ?

it's not legal in canada so since it's one of the first country to legalize, why not establish the collective here ?

Its been done a few years back mate, there was a online collective preserving and sharing landrace cultivars that were free to the members if you preserved the seed you were given.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGLISH View Post
Its been done a few years back mate, there was a online collective preserving and sharing landrace cultivars that were free to the members if you preserved the seed you were given.
Nice, i wonder how many landraces have they preserved and can we buy the selections in forms of seeds ?

thanks
Old 01-19-2019, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efesto View Post
another source of information on hashish in Greece are the books of Henry de Monfreid:
"Adventures of a Hashish Smuggler"
"The Pursuit of the ‘Kaipan’"
"The Man from the Sea"
"The Enchanted Cargo: Charas"

"All the farms in this district prepared hashish; it was their chief industry. Each estate had its brand, quoted on the market, and there were good and bad years, exactly as for wines."
Ooooh la la! Imagine an array of vintage Greek "estate grown hashish" today!

I dearly WANT some!

As for where strains came from in early Mediterranean times, look over on my thread on MNS about sourcing the landrace Greek Kalamata (Take me to the Greek!). The guys there have posted about archeology in Europe and basically have blown the idea that weed came from Asia recently right out of the water. Weed cultivation in Italy goes back at least 6,000 years.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsupernice View Post

Only 60 landraces? There were more than that. I now have 85 landrace and heirloom strains and counting in my collection. Of those, some overlap, but I have at least 40 different landraces. I just got two lots from north India, one from Yamuna and the other from Sikkim. They are tiny tiny seeds. Smallest seeds that I have in my collection, smaller than the previous small ones which are Zacatecas Purple. There are people I trade with in Europe that have much larger collections than I have though.

And people like David Watson and Arjan at GHS have literally TONS of seeds from all over the world. Look on Phylos and you see that Watson has seeds from just about everywhere in the world that you can think of. Including places I have never herd of. Watson is pumping genetic CRISPY mutants though, and Arjan only sells fem and auto hybrids. Even though you can see the landrace strains that he hunts in his SH videos. No landraces are available from either one of these hoarders. They are only in it for the money.

Last edited by Big Sur; 01-19-2019 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sur View Post
Ooooh la la! Imagine an array of vintage Greek "estate grown hashish" today!

I dearly WANT some!

another rich source of information on the use and traffic of hashish, are the memories of the British Cairo Police Chief, Thomas Wentworth Russell AKA Russell Pasha, author of a book called "Egypt Service"

This drug was, and still is, the favourite drug of the Egyptian lower classes, and in those days was produced exclusively in Greece, where the particular variety of hemp plant. Cannabis indica, was grown in large quantities, the drug being produced from the resinous flowers of the female plant.

Soon after 1932, when Greece prohibited the cultivation of hashish, the Lebanon and Syria took her place as chief cultivators and the Bedouin Arabs of the Sinai province became the carriers.

When in Egypt we talk about hashish, we mean the flat cake of compressed resinous powder, extracted from the flowering top (inflorescence) of the female hemp plant of the variety indica of the species Cannabis sativa. Hashish in the cake or powder form is of a dark greenish, khaki colour and has an oily, heavy smell, like hops. It varies considerably in quality according to the locality in which it is grown. Practically all the hashish that enters Egypt has been grown in the Lebanon and Syria, the best quality being sown in the higher plateau of the Lebanon range on soil that holds its moisture from the rains and mists of those seven-thousand-foot mountains, whereas the inferior grades are grown on irrigated lands in the plains of the Beq'a, between the Lebanon and the Anti- Lebanon, and in similar areas in north Syria.
The seed (known to bird fanciers as hemp seed) is sown in the mountains in mid-March and comes to maturity in August by then the mountain plants are two or three feet high, while the coarser valley plants may grow to twice that height. As the lower leaves decay and drop off, the flowering tops are found to be coated with a yellow, resinous substance which is sticky to the touch: this provides the first-grade drug. The crop is now carefully reaped and carried to the drying floor where the stalks are laid out separately and exposed to the sun, but not to the wind, are turned over every day for the next ten days or so until thoroughly dry and are then carefully laid on large linen sheets and carried to a special shed, care being taken to lose none of the precious powder en route. The threshing shed is built with hard, smooth walls and floor from which the flying dust of the resin can be eventually brushed and collected. No air is allowed to penetrate into the room while the threshing is being done and the sweating, half-drugged workmen have to break off frequently for a breath of air outside.
The dried plants having been laid in a heap on die floor,
trained men set to work with flails to thresh the stalks anjd flower-heads. Then follows a succession of operations with sieves of varying fineness, the component parts of the plantls being separated and laid out in separate heaps, the quality of the drug diminishing with each successive threshing. Nothing is wasted: the seeds are collected for future sowing, the stalks are ground to powder in a special mill and mixed in as an adulterant; the threshing is then finished and the cultivator hands over to the exporter. Next follows a series of operations of blending, mixing, classifying and weighing. These done, the powder is packed into small linen bags of varying capacity and submitted to a steaming process in a special cupboard until the powder becomes soft, when the bags are placed in presses and
squeezed into flat slabs in which shape they will be sold as turbas, varying in weight from a half to two kilos.

in the book there is a photograph of a hash-plant...

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.148889