Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaFish View Post
hi imsupernice, that is most likely a Nevil fan that is posting on RIU. Not the Horse.

this is what Nevil said here at MNS that is being repeated and distorted at RUI...

https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/4-talk-s...html#post62953

BTW devil is not related to these lines as far as I know. Don't get all hung up on recipes and folklore and mustelid-less Australia. You will find what you seek if you smell your way through a pack of Devil. I kept seeds from my skunkiest plant last year. the seeds are round medium sized beach balls with distinct watermelon stripes. The smoke and high was nostalgic of the early 90s for me.

I also have a pack of new skunk, but I am in no hurry to grow those. Maybe tomorrow lol.
What is this new skunk ? i don'T find the description anywhere. what breeding was done to get to it and what is the story beneath ?

and i see the possibility of the nevile fan theory, but that guy seems to know lots about parents and breeding, and i compared it to other nevile post and really it sound like him, who knows behind the anonimity of the internet, i thought what he said make sense.

thanks alot for helping us in our roadkill skunk quest., so you say that devil contain roadkill skunk phenos ? thats a pretty testy statement right there but i like this possibility cuz i like mr.nice strains.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:25 AM

If I remember correctly, i have a smokers memory, I'm fairly sure New Skunk selected from a bag of seeds Shanti got from Robert Clarke 86-87 seedstock..

Last edited by Growstone; 01-14-2019 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:52 AM

Hey Growstone, you have a mind like a steel trap.

Rusty and hard to open.

https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/223603-post11.html

maybe the same thing...

https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/5-strain...new-skunk.html
Old 01-14-2019, 07:33 AM

I grew some skunk beans this year as a test and the one that lived came out Strawberry Skunk. Full berry flavor in front with a skunk finish to it when smoked. Said to be pre-Sunk#1 beans from NorCal. They are definitely old school. Not that stinky on the plant though.

My understanding is that RKS was not used by Watson, and his real claim to fame was taking the funk out of skunk in Holland. Mainly to grow indoors without the heady smell. Breeders in Mendo also say that they bred the smell out of skunks as well as they continued to grow and breed indoors or underground. Growing strains that reek definitely is a hazard growing here, as people can smell it and come looking for weed. As in thieves (and narcs in years gone by). I grew OG Kush (Ghost cut) and GDP four years ago and I could smell that stuff all the way across my property and down by the highway. They reeked.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sur View Post
I grew some skunk beans this year as a test and the one that lived came out Strawberry Skunk. Full berry flavor in front with a skunk finish to it when smoked. Said to be pre-Sunk#1 beans from NorCal. They are definitely old school. Not that stinky on the plant though.

My understanding is that RKS was not used by Watson, and his real claim to fame was taking the funk out of skunk in Holland. Mainly to grow indoors without the heady smell. Breeders in Mendo also say that they bred the smell out of skunks as well as they continued to grow and breed indoors or underground. Growing strains that reek definitely is a hazard growing here, as people can smell it and come looking for weed. As in thieves (and narcs in years gone by). I grew OG Kush (Ghost cut) and GDP four years ago and I could smell that stuff all the way across my property and down by the highway. They reeked.
So seriously back to square 1,

what was roadkill skunk ? a pheno of super skunk ? a strain by itself ?
Old 01-14-2019, 10:01 PM

More of a legend or perhaps related to our nostalgic memories...... certainly those first homegrown bags of outdoor skunk I lucked into mid 1980s stunk heavily. They were supposedly afghan x ss which would suggest that crossing devil to nordle would produce similar. Most afghan dom strains will throw stinky greasy phenos but not necessarily the rks eye watering stench.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsupernice View Post
So seriously back to square 1,

what was roadkill skunk ? a pheno of super skunk ? a strain by itself ?
No one really knows. Lots of people will tell you lots of different stories. Lots of BS about who originally bred skunk. In my experience living in the Monterey Bay area from '66 through '86, skunk came out of a hybrid cross between a sativa and indica in the late 1970s in Central Coastal California. Like SAGE, and Purple, and some other local bag weed. Then it was all over the place by about 1980. There was no 'strain' then called RKS. There was just skunk weed. Some stank more than others. Most were on the lighter side. The real stinky ones were considered road kill I guess. I saw skunk weed at parties in Hollister, in the Santa Cruz mountains, in Big Sur, and in the Santa Clara Valley. The SF Bay area bikers got ahold of it at some point and grew it (like Romulan, which came from Korea through Ft Ord). Uncle Fester (a biker) took it to Humboldt Co. where he grew them open pollen. Those tend to be more floral in nature. Master Thai has those genetics now (his nephew). David Watson took local skunk beans to Holland with him in 1986 and he or Neville called it Skunk#1. Some say that Neville bred RKS from those in Holland. If anything it seems to me that they bred the skunk smell out of skunk in Holland, not the other way around.

Last edited by Big Sur; 01-14-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:38 AM

Quote:
No one really knows. Lots of people will tell you lots of different stories. Lots of BS about who originally bred skunk. In my experience living in the Monterey Bay area from '66 through '86, skunk came out of a hybrid cross between a sativa and indica in the late 1970s in Central Coastal California. Like SAGE, and Purple, and some other local bag weed. Then it was all over the place by about 1980. There was no 'strain' then called RKS. There was just skunk weed. Some stank more than others. Most were on the lighter side. The real stinky ones were considered road kill I guess. I saw skunk weed at parties in Hollister, in the Santa Cruz mountains, in Big Sur, and in the Santa Clara Valley. The SF Bay area bikers got ahold of it at some point and grew it (like Romulan, which came from Korea through Ft Ord). Uncle Fester (a biker) took it to Humboldt Co. where he grew them open pollen. Those tend to be more floral in nature. Master Thai has those genetics now (his nephew). David Watson took local skunk beans to Holland with him in 1986 and he or Neville called it Skunk#1. Some say that Neville bred RKS from those in Holland. If anything it seems to me that they bred the skunk smell out of skunk in Holland, not the other way around.
Very interesting my friend, and you ? what do you think ?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
If anything it seems to me that they bred the skunk smell out of skunk in Holland, not the other way around.
That'*s what he thinks about it

And I agree with Big Sur.

It was probably just how Skunk was back then.
It wasn't called Skunk for it's fruity terpene profile. It was called Skunk because it stank so much.
Very possible that what is today referred to as Roadkill Skunk was simply Skunk back in the day, when people selected the stinkiest phenos a lot.
With it being all underground/black market and authorities still believing they are protecting the public by hunting down home growers, the need for stealth became more important and stinky strains were a no-go because even with carbon filters, they could give your position away and result in a bust.

Big Sur believes (correct me if I'm wrong Bro), and again I tend to agree, that in that time frame, a lot of the scene was located in the Netherlands and what we have as Skunk today is likely the result of how it was worked in the Netherlands during that time.
And they likely bred it to get the strong smell out i.e. selecting for less stinky phenos and breeding with them. No doubt trying to preserve all the other "good" aspects of Skunk, just trying to get it to the point where it doesn't get you busted from the smell.

This practice was then likely continued in the US and elsewhere and that's how we ended up with "Not Roadkill Skunk" today.

Now, in theory, it should be able to select and breed current Skunk to find the super smelly one type again and re-create Roadkill Skunk.
But it seems many have tried and it could be too long gone/crossed out too much so that not even the recessive genes for Roadkill remain...

We won't know for sure I suppose.

What would always be possible is for someone to take a step back and actually try to re-create Skunk by breeding the landrace strains together again. What was it, Colombian, Thai and Afghan? Colombian, Mexican and Afghan?

So that would probably be a 5 year or more project and then one would have to still select for stinky and keep breeding so maybe 10 years all together?
Probably nobody gonna do that with the OGs and Chem genetics being all the Jazz...

I personally am quite pleased with where Skunk is today. I like smelly buds as much as the next guy but I am more of a "unique smell" kind of guy. I really have enjoyed the large range of odor profiles in the Skunk genetics I grew from MRN.
So far I had things ranging from pure camphor (really didn't smell ANYTHING like weed, would be perfect for stealth grows, somewhat funky but really couldn't distinguish it from other, classic vegetation you find in the wild almost anywhere) to super sweet, candy type smells that reminded me of "ice bonbons" that are common in central Europe.

The camphor smell, that doesn't smell anything like weed, I have discovered a couple of times since then. Unfortunately not the delicious "ice candy" smell...

But in my current round I have a very interesting G13xSkunk pheno that smelled like some type of bubblegum in late veg. It had a bit of trouble acclimating to the 5 gal pots and didn't take the transplant so well and is lagging behind in size a bit but is now stable and healthy again, flowering away. Very curious about that one.

And then you have the fruity, citrusy phenos and the like in Skunk.

All within 1 line of genetics.

The only thing that people can't seem to reliably find in Skunk are a) what they refer to as Roadkill b) "Cheese" terps and c) garlic terps.

Now as to why that is ... Maybe these terp profiles were never in the Skunk line to begin with, maybe they were and it was bottlenecked towards the terp profiles I mentioned above, maybe some people just smelled camphor and to them it smelled like cheese?

It is all so subjective and far from real Science so facts are hard to come by in this game in general ...

We need actual lab-testing, quantification of terpene profiles etc. etc. to make actual, factual claims about this or that with weed.

It is all anecdotal in the meantime and might confuse/mislead as much as hint in the right direction ...

Last edited by Broseidon; 01-15-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsupernice View Post
Very interesting my friend, and you ? what do you think ?
What do I think? Its more what do I remember being there when skunk happened along in Central California. I first saw, smelled and smoked skunk weed at a friend's house in Monterey CA, circa 1977. His brother in law was a grower down in Big Sur. I bought a lot of weed from him in those days. Mostly second generation sinsemilia grown locally from Colombian and Mexican bag weed seed. Green bud with red hairs. It was cheap. $60 an oz. Good bud, but before the days of hybrids. That particular day the BIL came by with a bag full of fresh cured skunk weed. It smelled of skunk. It reeked of weed. The BIL was a connoisseur of terpenes. In those days it was commonly believed that terpenes were absorbed from the soil and surrounding area. That idea was supported locally as there are a lot of Monterey Pines in that area, and both Colombian and Mexican landraces tend to have a lot of pinene. That of course is not the case, as Cannabis makes terpenes from isoprene, the building block of terpenes. Anyway, we thought that the skunk weed was interesting. I asked if they had buried a skunk next to the weed.

After that skunk weed showed up all over the place. Well, all over where I was back then. Santa Cruz, Prunedale, Gilroy, Hollister, Morgan Hill, Berkeley, Monterey, etc. There seemed to be more around the Santa Cruz mountain area, toward the north end of my stomping grounds. So from my experience, I would guess that someone around Felton or Boulder Creek bred Skunk, and people liked it. So they grew more of it and sold it locally. From those early bags of weed there were usually some seeds in them. We did not really understand how to grow sinsemilla or much about herms until later. Those early seeds meant that you could grow your own skunks. So people did. The South Bay area bikers got ahold of it and grew it. Watson obvious got some beans and took them to Holland. I think that all Watson did was collect local bag weed seeds and take them to Holland. I also collected beans from bag weed in those days, and I froze them. I still have them and I grow old landrace and heirloom stains. I have a cache of old NorCal skunk beans. As I posted, last year I grew a strawberry tasting skunk. My experience is that these pop variable skunk phenos, and have interesting terpene profiles. Far more interesting variations than just RKS are in them, from what I have grown.

As for who bred the original skunk? Or brought Zac Purple to Big Sur? Or who bred SAGE? Or who bred Dog Bud that became ChemDog? Or who bred Northern Lights up in the Puget Sound (the Indian?)? I dunno, and likely we will never know. Lots of people have taken credit for breeding them, but it seems most are undeserved. Also I do not know what Neville or Watson did with skunk in Amsterdam. I have been told that Watson purposely bred the skunk smell out of skunk, and that is one thing that he actually did do to his credit. As for what was done with Skunk farther north in NorCal after the mid 1980s, I know that Uncle Fester took skunk with him to Humboldt. I never met him or his entourage. He was a biker of notoriety. I only hung out with the bikers very briefly in 1975 in Morgan Hill. They were a very rough lot. Word is that he grew them in open pollination lots with males and females and let them do their breeding on their own. So from the early strains in the Central California area, I would say that in Holland skunk stench genes were bred out on purpose to sell seeds to indoor growers, and in Humboldt the genes were allowed to naturalize to the local climate and 'do their own thing'. Which Cannabis does and rather rapidly, in about 4 generations. Also in Humboldt according to Kevin Jodrey, the underground and indoor growers in Humboldt and Mendo purposely bred skunk and similar strains to smell less over time. This was because they were gowing in rental houses up and down the west coast, and they did not want to tip off the authorities and get busted because of the smell. So you have a result of intentional and natural genetic shift as a result in today's skunk beans.

Last edited by Big Sur; 01-15-2019 at 08:23 AM.