Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 03-20-2019, 10:56 AM
masey's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: England
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantManBee View Post
LOL.

You don't get what I mean, and that is fine. I think that Neville was great, and did a huge service to the community. I just think that he happened at a time when publicity started to happen for weed. Neville DID see the big picture and went for it.

I don't know the name of the man who held santa marta gold, but if you did search deeply you can probably find the story about the initial, BIG importations from Columbia. ONe farmer held the best Columbian gold. Not all lumbo was the same. Individual farmers and families selected plants over generations.

You want names? THAT is where Neville stands out. He put his name to it. Before that, people would lie like shit that they had nothing to do with any marijuana! LMFAO

Later, after doing time if I'm not mistaken, Mel Frank took some credit for Durban Poison. Before that, he claimed it was a friend. Times have changed and Neville took it to the wall.

I just don't think he was supernatural. He was a guy that bred great weed. There have been many.

No reason to be pissed off that I think this way. If I'm wrong, it should mean absolutely nothing to you.

By the way, saying case closed only closes it in your mind. No need to be so dismissive. Why is it a given in your mind that N is the best ever?
I'm not talking anything else but his influence as a commercial cannabis breeder. Giving credit to who passed the torch and everything in-between is not where i was going with the conversation.

I'm not saying any of the above to blow smoke up N's ass he quite candidly said many passed the torch to him. what he accomplished with his lines is a clear as daylight. You could write on the back of a matchbox what did not descend from "the seedbank" i repeat Commercial Cannabis

It is matter of fact there is a 85% chance any commercial cannabis seed purchased worldwide is a descendant of "the seedbank" that to me is pretty remarkable feat in any field.

that is all
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 03-20-2019, 12:46 PM
PlantManBee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,274
Default

I should probably have just said that we are all standing on the shoulders of others. Even Neville.
__________________
Blurring the boundaries between plants and animals since '64
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 03-20-2019, 02:20 PM
masey's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: England
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantManBee View Post
I should probably have just said that we are all standing on the shoulders of others. Even Neville.
moot point.

Nev was a commercial cannabis breeder. How well did he do?

Look at the varietals past/present. If his crossing were luck because a goatherder in Kandahar gave him seed. Why would 85% of the marketplace use them to this day. That part is not up for discussion

I can't add 2+2 for you - Any conclusion you wish to draw on how you see things is fine

You're talking classic hyperbole i.e. Coolmore stud is only the most successful thoroughbred breeding operation worldwide merely by chance because Darley Arabian is in 95% of modern Thoroughbred racehorses and Thomas Darley received the champion in his will and because and because and because. Oh yeah how many people do we need to give credit to again? Should we say Coolmore is only #1 because two stars crashed together and made planet earth (Who takes credit for that, The world would love to see that answer) fire away

Oh yeah Commercial Breeding is measured in pretty simple ways. Doesn't need airy-fairy hyperbole, though like i mentioned i knew that's what you would say - it's the default response i come to expect

Back on track to RKS....................

Last edited by masey; 03-20-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 03-20-2019, 02:40 PM
PlantManBee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,274
Default

In my book he is just one in a long line. Every link in the chain played its part.

The hated Sam also played a huge part. I mean, he did pass N the seeds that make up "haze".

I think part of my view is because I smoked GREAT weed before Neville sold anything.

I am not one to think the most sales equals the best product. That is more marketing. Which is what I think N was a genius at.
__________________
Blurring the boundaries between plants and animals since '64

Last edited by PlantManBee; 03-20-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 03-20-2019, 03:10 PM
masey's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: England
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantManBee View Post
I am not one to think the most sales equals the best product. That is more marketing. Which is what I think N was a genius at.
Who mentioned sales? Crossings past and present from Commercial breeders and Hobby breeders alike. You can't dispute real world results unfortunately. If you as a breeder achieve 85% of the industry you work in using your crossing i would say that's something to be proud off

If you want to credit the goatherder in Kandahar or two stars crashing together, be my guest. I have nothing more to add.

Last edited by masey; 03-20-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 03-20-2019, 03:24 PM
PlantManBee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,274
Default

LOL.

Yes. The goat herder in Kandahar IS just as much a part of the picture as N. Thank you for pointing that out.

Being demeaning about cultures that aren't your own is, unfortunately, human nature.
__________________
Blurring the boundaries between plants and animals since '64
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 03-20-2019, 03:47 PM
masey's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: England
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantManBee View Post
LOL.

Yes. The goat herder in Kandahar IS just as much a part of the picture as N. Thank you for pointing that out.

Being demeaning about cultures that aren't your own is, unfortunately, human nature.
All cultures are my own. For a polyhybrid like myself, Who do i credit? two stars? Divine intervention? Gravity? Two unknown monkeys? I get your point - Like i said i have nothing more to add
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22.JPG (53.8 KB, 103 views)
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 03-20-2019, 03:54 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 1,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sur View Post
I just may be able to help you reach that goal. I have been smoking weed for 47 years now. It is not all about THC. I have 4 strains of weed that I doubt you can finish a whole joint of. All are old school landraces:

1) Kerala ganja. The real old school sativa Kerala. To date the most potent weed I have ever smoked. You will get brain freeze and lock up before you get half way though the joint. I got this stuff once in 1975 and people were banging on my door asking if I had any more for MONTHS after I ran out.
2) African Black Magic. There is zero chance of your being able to polish off a whole joint of this stuff. No chance. Last I smoked this stuff, I took two hits and passed out. This is one hit weed. Its also rare as all fuck. I got the beans of this from a breeder south of Big Sur in 1980.
3) Malawi gold. Another African favorite. You will be tripping so hard by the time you are 3/4 the way through you will forget that you were smoking a joint. This stuff came with a warning on the label: not for inexperienced users.
4) Punta Roja from 1978 (also known as Lowland Colombian red, the gooood lowland red). This stuff always put me under the table back in the day. It still does now. Maybe its high in CBN, or some unknown cannabinoid or terpinoid. Your eyes will grow red, and likely you will be under the table before you can finish the joint. I think you have the best chance with this stuff. I would love to see you try.
well i have 3 CBG punto rojo seedlings going, maybe ill find something nice there.
I have known two people that have smoked black african.
I could probably get my hands on a malawi haze hybrid if i wanted...
and the kerala is probably in the widow. i havent gotten in to the white lines yet but i have two packs of shark shock to go through sometime soon.

but again, id really like to smoke something that i couldnt take more than a few hits. i can take a few hits of hash, and no weed will match that.
i do agree that there could be other chemicals in play that make for a real quality smoke.
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 03-20-2019, 09:09 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Land Of Oz
Posts: 1,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantManBee View Post
I would like to note that N also said the initial NLxHaze pairings caused people to shit their pants. In other words, the strongest.

While I love and covet a LOT of what N handled, I don't give him any more credit than many others whose hands also touched the ancestors of what we grow.

He had the guts, the means, and the determination.

I personally don't think that made him the best grower or breeder.


I know, "heretic!"
G `day PMB

The C5 , A5 , AG13 , HPHz and Nevil`s Hz cut are out there these days .
They have been shared by the people who kept them 30 years .

I smoked AG13 , C5 and Nevil`s Haze no problem with incontinence or my bowels releasing . Still to hear a report re any causing spontaneous release of involuntary muscle systems from any of the old Haze hybrids .

He also said he bred Sativas as strong as acid and Indicas like heroin ...

I think Nevil liked to exaggerate some what .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Last edited by Elmer Bud; 03-20-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 03-20-2019, 11:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Aussieland
Posts: 515
Default

Hahaha, that's made me laugh.. yet to hear a report, lol.... I imagine he rolled a joint first thing, needed a shit after a toke and laughed to himself...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All rights reserved, MR NICE SEEDBANK, NL