Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS Forums > 4. Talk to Shantibaba and MrNice

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock1 View Post
Ouchie to help you with ethylene i tried getting some after Nevil's post. only thing i could find with it in was anti freeze but didn't like the sound of using it. anyway i done a bit of research on it and most say fruit dosen't make enough to change the sex of plant's but i changed a shark shock male to female with 6 cherry tomato's and 1 apple in a bottle. with a pipe leading to a translucent bag over the plant. here it a pic of the plant after about 2 week. i killed the male after that pic as it was just to see if it would work for future male selection. thanks again Nevil for the info i realy appriciate it.
Luckily enough, my girlfriend of ten years grandmother worked at Bayer Labs her whole life, so I have high hopes on being able to get some. But, I'll try any method that gets me the desired results, thanks for the input!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouchie View Post
Luckily enough, my girlfriend of ten years grandmother worked at Bayer Labs her whole life, so I have high hopes on being able to get some. But, I'll try any method that gets me the desired results, thanks for the input!
lucky you mate you should have no problem's getting it then. let me know if you find a good product to use as well. no one like's leaving rotten fruit lying around there plant's. it dose work if needed though mate.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Kangativa

Hi Ouchie....My answer to this question "I always wondered what people did with their male breeding counterparts. Do they get the love and attention the pretty girls get? I doubt it, they're probably in a back corner like a red headed step child, lol. Do people "stress test" their males to see if they herm like they do their females?

Yes i do treat them as I do my girls, they infact have there own nice hot Western slope with the holes all mulched and fertilized and this year they even have irrigation.
Do I stress test....Well not my strains that I have been growing for ages, but this year with a few new strains which include 9 of Shanti's I have stressed the hell out of them and as a result I have found 5 hermies and 1 mutant, which I can safely say are no longer with us...RIP
For me the most important part of a breeding program is the males and if they are not up to my expectations, which is very high, they are gone as are females as well. Something I also do is smoke my males by taking tips from him.
Nevil stated about reversing males to smoke them, never done it, and I am sure it is a mucher nicer way to do it, but if I find the tips are strong then he is the stud
Old 10-05-2010, 12:51 AM

Yo Kanga!,

Saw the pix of those monsters that your bud posted. Pretty nice man.

I agree with you that picking based on smell or thin stems will give you just that. If you want a potent pollen source you smoke it and see if you get high.

I bought a volcano vaporizer the day (not really) they were avilable in the US for my males. I would quit for a day or two and smoke them first thing in the morning. I would smoke until I would get high and time how long I remained high.

The duration of the high would give me something to ASSUME the THC content of the male.

Then Nevil emerges and tells us reverse your males. Simple...

Now you can see what the resin production, aroma, and strength and character of the high would be. Simple...

I feel so retarded but SO grateful as well. Best advice I have gotten in 24 years of gardening. Hopefully we can give him something half as valuable as he has given us.

This may not be the time or place but "I do what I want!" (like Cartman from South Park).
Nevil, please write a book.

Thanks For Your Time,

KB 8)_~
Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Breeder

Just on the subject of feminising males with Ethrel, I'm not advocating smoking them. I did smoke the HazeC males calyxes after feminisation, but I don't feel comfortable with smoking treated plants in general. You'll be able to pick the most interesting males without smoking them.
N.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:43 AM
Kangativa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevil View Post
Just on the subject of feminising males with Ethrel, I'm not advocating smoking them. I did smoke the HazeC males calyxes after feminisation, but I don't feel comfortable with smoking treated plants in general. You'll be able to pick the most interesting males without smoking them.
N.
Sorry for that mate.....I was under the impression you smoked them all...my bad
Ok I can stay to smoking the tips then without thinking I could do it a better.
Jeez imagine trying those treated males and found you were turning hermaphrodite, I suppose it would give Chimera and GitT a chance to talk about clitoris's instead of just penises
Old 10-05-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangativa View Post
Hi Ouchie....My answer to this question "I always wondered what people did with their male breeding counterparts. Do they get the love and attention the pretty girls get? I doubt it, they're probably in a back corner like a red headed step child, lol. Do people "stress test" their males to see if they herm like they do their females?

Yes i do treat them as I do my girls, they infact have there own nice hot Western slope with the holes all mulched and fertilized and this year they even have irrigation.
Do I stress test....Well not my strains that I have been growing for ages, but this year with a few new strains which include 9 of Shanti's I have stressed the hell out of them and as a result I have found 5 hermies and 1 mutant, which I can safely say are no longer with us...RIP
For me the most important part of a breeding program is the males and if they are not up to my expectations, which is very high, they are gone as are females as well. Something I also do is smoke my males by taking tips from him.
Nevil stated about reversing males to smoke them, never done it, and I am sure it is a mucher nicer way to do it, but if I find the tips are strong then he is the stud
Do you smoke the newest sprouts from the meristem? Whats your male criteria? I have reasoned for myself with males should have these characteristics.

1. glandular and non glandular trichomes/resin
2. stink/smell especially at night, I believe the more fragrant the more terpenes will be endowed with its children. stem rubs work as well.
3. smoke testing with the newest leaves closest to the meristem/main stem.

Then not as important to me but something I look for...

4. pliable stems which would indicate a drug cultivar and not hemp.
5. hollow stems

..and for aesthetics cut the male and look for purple/red staining within the stems to see if purple traits could be passed on with the intended male.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:55 AM

Nevil thanks for clearing that up. I did ASSUME that from your other post. I will NOT be smoking anything I treat now. You still have provided a very useful tool to help id good male prospects. Thanks for being so helpful.

Snowhigh- "and for aesthetics cut the male and look for purple/red staining within the stems to see if purple traits could be passed on with the intended male."

I always thought the purple/red you are seeing was iodine. I thought more red/purple means higher rooting percentage. Never realized this was an indicator of possible purple genotype? Have you noticed more purple offspring from male pollen donors with red/purple staining Snowhigh?

Sorry about the confusion I created. :/ Oops.

ASSumers Captain of ASS,

KB 8)_~
Old 10-05-2010, 10:00 AM
british_hempire

Just my two cents on the purple progeny thing - I worked with a Purple Afghan line and the male I chose that had purple stems, petioles and leaf veins throughout only passed on the purple trait to about 1 in 50 of the f1 progeny. However, the other PA male I selected that didn't have this purple colouration produced progeny that were roughly one third purple phenos.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:08 AM

I read quite a bit about Ethrel, and apparently it's not like the buds you're going to be smoking from the males would be coated in it. It takes a very fine misting to do it's job properly, and you do this at a VERY specific time in the plant's life cycle JUST before the onset of male or female calyxes develop. Pretty much the Ethrel is inducing female flowers, so the clusters of the females flowers new growth will never have been touched by any Ethrel. Just pick off the tips of the female flowers, and I'm sure it'd be more than safe, hell safer than most of the food you eat sprayed with pesticides and grown in poison. You only live once, I'd definitely smoke that shit!

http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld48Q002.pdf

http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld167002.pdf <--- tons of good stuff in here about 30% down the page

Last edited by Ouchie; 10-05-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Closed Thread