Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS Forums > 3. The daily news

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 11:24 PM
hempy

Default ‘Stoner Stupid’ Myth Goes Up In Smoke

The message you have entered is too short Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Last edited by hempy; 10-05-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:29 AM
diddley

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempy View Post
‘Stoner Stupid’ Myth Goes Up In Smoke

Among cannabis consumers, subjects were grouped into the following categories: ‘heavy’ (once a week or more) users, ‘light’ users, ‘former heavy’ users, ‘former light’ users...

I have an issue with once a week tokers being considered 'heavy users'. I would consider them 'light users'. Data on daily users would have been needed for me to take this study seriously. Would you consider a once a week beer drinker a 'drinker' at all?

They concluded, “Therefore, the adverse impacts of cannabis use on cognitive functions either appear to be related to pre-existing factors or are reversible in this community cohort even after potentially extended periods of use.”

Does that make sense?

Separate studies have previously reported that long-term marijuana use is not associated with residual deficits in neurocognitive function. Specifically, a 2001 study published in the journal Archives of General Psychiatry found that chronic cannabis consumers who abstained from the drug for one week “showed virtually no significant differences from control subjects

I also don't take that seriously. Abstainence for one week in chronic users!?

Additionally, studies have also implied that cannabis may be neuroprotective against alcohol-induced cognitive deficits. A 2009 study by investigators at the University of California and San Diego reported that binge drinkers who also used cannabis experienced significantly less white matter damage to the brain as compared to subjects who consumed alcohol alone.

That would be very good news to me, but if that is the case how do I explain my continuous cognitive deteriation? (shut up all those who said 'senility' or 'insanity')

‘Stoner Stupid’ Myth Goes Up In Smoke | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform
You will all think this is a typical diddley comment, but I really did drop out of my psychology course at Melbourne University because I thought it was a bunch of bullshit. Instead I studied psychology the hard way which is the only way if you really want to know (which is in my opinion the only way to understand) beingness. Do I regret doing that?

tks for the interesting post Hempy

diddley
Old 08-05-2011, 02:34 AM

to a large extent I agree that psychology is either common sense or bunkem in a lot of cases. However neurology is an actual science. So I feel that the study is of value. Though I agree that a user who only uses once per week isn't a heavy user. Or if they are, then I need to re-categorise my self from a heavy user to an abuser of the plant.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:58 AM
diddley

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
to a large extent I agree that psychology is either common sense or bunkem in a lot of cases. However neurology is an actual science. So I feel that the study is of value.

Neurology is indeed a science, but I finally gav up on psychology when our 2nd year statistics lecturer admitted that (I think it was analysis of variance, or something to do with correlation) was not mathematically sound. Any statistical analysis can be shown to be faulty and they regularly are.

Though I agree that a user who only uses once per week isn't a heavy user. Or if they are, then I need to re-categorise my self from a heavy user to an abuser of the plant.

Well if they are right that using "cannabis may be neuroprotective against alcohol-induced cognitive deficits", and you enjoy more than a 'tipple' now & then, consider yourself both sensible and lucky to be cannabis abuser. I abuse both of course, but I have good reason to...I'm a genetically predisposed 'drunk' & 'stoner'. Thank God then that I'm a 'Both/And' rather than an 'Either/Or' when it comes to substance abuse
'diddley does MNS' (soon to be released on the big screen)

Last edited by diddley; 08-05-2011 at 03:03 AM.