Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS Forums > 3. The daily news

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 06:43 AM

Talking World we see is make-believe, top British scientist says

* "A lot of the world is make-believe"
* Brain creates its own version of reality
* "We're only aware of a fraction of what's going on"

THE human brain creates its own version of reality, and the world we see around us is mostly make-believe, according to a top British scientist.

Professor Bruce Hood will explore the limits of the human mind in a series of prestigious lectures for the Royal Institution of Great Britain, the oldest independent research body in the world, it was announced yesterday.

The psychologist plans to induce false memories in audience members and use pickpockets to demonstrate how easily people are distracted, in a bid to prove how we have less control over our own decisions and perceptions than we like to imagine.

"A lot of the world is make-believe. We're only aware of a fraction of what's going on," Prof Hood told The (London) Times. "We have this impression of an expansive panorama in front of our eyes, but all we are ever seeing is an area the size of our thumbs at an arm's distance. The rest is filled in, as the brain creates a stable environment."

He added, "Though you might think you're an individual and captain of your ship, a lot of processes are being controlled by those around you and your environment."

Prof Hood will head the talks for the Royal Institution's Christmas Lectures, which were started in 1825 by Michael Faraday and have been held every year since then, except for a break during World War II.

"One thing I guarantee is that I will leave the audience wondering if they can ever trust their brain again," he said.

Read more: World we see is make-believe, top British scientist says | Information, Gadgets, Mobile Phones News & Reviews | News.com.au
Old 07-30-2011, 04:41 PM

Every day I read the news there is another scientist claiming to 'discover' long held wisdom known to humans for literally thousands of years.

If this interests you I implore you to explore the concept of nothingness within Buddhism.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:48 PM
BillyBadGrower

maybe our dreams are reality, and what we think is reality is actually a dream

Old 07-30-2011, 08:42 PM

Uh i hate language barriers...
i'll try to write it right...
That is just the same theme i was discussing with my friend while getting high by the sea on the beach....
Well i was trying to explain him that every happening around us or if the same thing happens to 4 of us at the same time,each of us 4 will be experiencing this event in it's own way,and emotions that will rise from that,will be different to each...so each of the human being is living in it's own world...
if so then our world is in our head-s...that would mean that we can actually change our perception on things around us,and that would have impact on "our reality" on the way we perceive outer influences on us...and if we change the way we deal with given information in any given time,like i see depressed people around me ,and i see how they turn a mosquito into elephant from minor bump on the road they make big problems,we can make "our world" a better and happier place that will eventually lead to our heart desires...
so that's about it,hope it makes sense to someone...
Cheers
Thh

Last edited by toohothydro; 07-31-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:31 AM

Yes its all very intresting when one really thinks about it.

brain recieves 7000 bits of information a sec and it filters out the 2000 we need and use , the subconscious has more control over us then we do over it , most opinions are just repetions of other peoples expereinces expressions , opinions.

Our eyes look forward and the extreams of left and right are created in our brain from memory , its not really there and the slightest movment detected from our eye sends its vision to it , so we think what we are looking at in the far corners to be real as we see movement.

Ps sorry for the bad spelling, it wassnt me was my subconscious.

Puffpuffpass
Old 07-31-2011, 02:47 PM

I think, Therefore I am.

Thought is the master of the universe according to this book I'm reading. "The Secret"

What you think about, no matter if it's negative or positive, will eventually come into being. It IS the reason that the controllers of this physical world we live in spreads so much negativity throughout the various media sources.

I am the master of my thoughts!

Learn to control your own thoughts and you will create the life you want to live; is the lesson I'm learning. I'd suggest all people that want to control their own destiny pick up and read a copy.

The most important lesson I've learned thus far is:
Think about what you DO want instead of what you DON'T want.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:28 AM

Imagine you and a friend, you are both staring at a wall that is paintet blue.

You both point at the wall it and call the color "blue" - you both agree on this - but each of you see a totally different color!

So even if we use the same words to describe identical stuff, the perception could be very different for each of us...

Edit: I cannot even prove that other people has consciousness:

"We attribute consciousness to other people because we see that they resemble us in appearance and behavior. We reason that if they look like us and act like us, they must be like us in other ways, including having experiences of the sort that we do."

Last edited by stein; 08-02-2011 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cros420 View Post
Yes its all very intresting when one really thinks about it.

brain recieves 7000 bits of information a sec and it filters out the 2000 we need and use , the subconscious has more control over us then we do over it , most opinions are just repetions of other peoples expereinces expressions , opinions.

Our eyes look forward and the extreams of left and right are created in our brain from memory , its not really there and the slightest movment detected from our eye sends its vision to it , so we think what we are looking at in the far corners to be real as we see movement.

Ps sorry for the bad spelling, it wassnt me was my subconscious.

Puffpuffpass

I've been thinking (and reading) about conscious vs subconscious actions.

Most of our actions are not decided by the conscious part of the brain (it applies to perception too, which you wrote about).

After a bus-ride home, do you remember the noise of the bus engine?
No, but your brain has heard and registered it - but it didn't find it important enough to send it to the conscious part of your brain.
Now.. if the engine had made unusual noises, your brain would have prioritized it and made it conscious for you. And you would have remembered it now.

When sitting and reading this, do you notice how your trousers are sticking to your skin? No, but you do now - because you are now asking your brain for this information which was not conscious for you - until you asked for it.

But this was examples of perceptions, not really actions.

It's actions that interest me the most, as it affects our daily life.

Try to notice how much of your daily actions that are conscious, and you will be amazed how few!
(Every time your body moves (does something), ask yourself how it happened, and why)).

Like most of the time we do some hand gesture, we do not ask for it - or command the hand to do it - it was decided but not consciously, and the action/movement was out of our conscious control. Weird stuff.

Edit: sorry for my english, hope it made sense.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:00 PM

Default conscious

Hi all,
Iv'e often wondered(somebody might know the answer)if our subconscious controls everything we do before our conscious knows about it,and our subconscious is in control of pain receptors or keeping us breathing while we sleep and such,Why when we develop cancerous cells which develop over years to a critical level,does the subconsious not tell the conscious brain as soon as it detects this threat ?.
Is it because the subconscious is not in physical contact with the body and just doesn't "see it"or ignores it,or doesn't see it as a threat ?.
If the subconscious can feel the body's pain,say when we burn our hand and the brain tells us to pull our hand away,Why doesn't it know that when we smoke we are killing cells in the lungs, and make the action of smoking subconsciously aborant to us to save the body from damage ?
The conscious must be stronger than the subconscious,the conscious part of us knows we are killing ourselves and overides the subconscious and carrys on regardless so taking the apparent decision away from the subconscious.
Right thats probably a load of cock but i just wrote what i was thinking...(or did i ?)

Last edited by EggyBread; 08-02-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: couldnt get my brackets right
Old 08-03-2011, 01:10 PM

Default answer ?

Think this answered my question,I found it on the Telegraphs website.

Elsie Campbell, 59-year-old mother-of-three, woke up one day with an unusual craving. She couldn't stop eating lettuce.

But after her cravings escalated to eating four whole lettuces a day, her husband Jim, who is a research scientist, suspected the addiction was her body signalling something was wrong.

"I woke up one day and suddenly fancied some lettuce," she told the Daily Mail.

"I’d always eaten it in salads, but suddenly, I just couldn’t get enough of it. I could eat three or four whole lettuces a day. I’d eat a whole iceberg lettuce at work, and sit on the bus on the way home thinking about eating more and more."

Mr Campbell looked at what his wife's body could be lacking and found that lettuce contains a nutrient that is often lacking in breast cancer sufferers.

He insisted she see a doctor, and after a small dimple appeared on her breast, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Following the early diagnosis, she had the lump removed and had months of treatment but has now been given the all-clear.

She said: "Strangely, since the lump was removed, I haven’t wanted to eat a single lettuce leaf – the craving’s completely vanished.

"I was so lucky Jim spotted the signs when he did – my lettuce addiction probably saved my life."

I keep getting a craving for pint's of beer and cheese on toast (every night)wonder what that means ?.