Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS Forums > 3. The daily news

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 06-15-2019, 05:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sur View Post
Knowing what I know from several people in Europe that I am involved with there, you may not be too far off with this site going off line. Or having a major change.

As for CBD, that is a fickle gene. I have some choice Canadian CBD hemp strains from the feds up there and they are completely hit and miss. I do not see any way to generate seeds that will consistently result in high levels of CBD. It is like getting RKS from skunk beans. For me its been a game of chance, growing a lot of them and culling all but the high CBD plants and cloning those. Breeding those has been a bust. I have done much better breeding my landraces. I can get good results in one or two generations with those early genetics. These CBD strains are elusive. The early skunks also generate wildly diverse phenotypes. Unstable... like CBD. Nothing consistent in my experience growing them. I grow them as a random novelty to see what I get. Maybe I will get a good one, maybe not.

This year I am reverting to breeding my Durban hybrids BX and with Vietnam Black in search of a higher THCv strain. I am also working on a higher CBC strain (not CBD, CBC) with Maui Waui. I am also running some of my landrace Zacatecas Purples and one of my Colombian golds to generate IBL beans. These are real landraces from bag weed seed that I got in the 1970s. No seed companies were involved in my frozen early 1970s seed collection. Many do not believe that I have these seeds, but I do not give a shit what those people think. Some of these seeds take some effort to get going, especially seeds from bricked weed. They were cooked, fermented and abused during transport to California back in the day. Some have grown into some wild phenos this year. The VN black, Colombian Gold and Zac purple have all produced some wire thin leave phenos. They look more like asparagus ferns than Cannabis. Purist sativas. Which I dearly love.
I read up that CBD is unstable as its levels can vary from one level to another from week 4 to finish. CBD Crew stabilised "Therapy" over many years to the point that CBD CREW claim a 75% chance of getting the stated CBD?THC ratio. Half the other 25% can swing to one extreme and the other half, to the other.

Personally, I am thrilled that Shanti is involved in both worlds, The Old world and the exciting new world, that we still dont know what direction we will be going.

Look at you, Going the THCV route, Thats a very promising ! Good luck with that.
__________________
If breeders were ROCKSTARS,

Nevil = Roger Waters/Sid Barret
Howard = Jim Morrison
Shantibaba = Jimmy Page !
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-15-2019, 05:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sur View Post
Knowing what I know from several people in Europe that I am involved with there, you may not be too far off with this site going off line. Or having a major change.

As for CBD, that is a fickle gene. I have some choice Canadian CBD hemp strains from the feds up there and they are completely hit and miss. I do not see any way to generate seeds that will consistently result in high levels of CBD. It is like getting RKS from skunk beans. For me its been a game of chance, growing a lot of them and culling all but the high CBD plants and cloning those. Breeding those has been a bust. I have done much better breeding my landraces. I can get good results in one or two generations with those early genetics. These CBD strains are elusive. The early skunks also generate wildly diverse phenotypes. Unstable... like CBD. Nothing consistent in my experience growing them. I grow them as a random novelty to see what I get. Maybe I will get a good one, maybe not.

This year I am reverting to breeding my Durban hybrids BX and with Vietnam Black in search of a higher THCv strain. I am also working on a higher CBC strain (not CBD, CBC) with Maui Waui. I am also running some of my landrace Zacatecas Purples and one of my Colombian golds to generate IBL beans. These are real landraces from bag weed seed that I got in the 1970s. No seed companies were involved in my frozen early 1970s seed collection. Many do not believe that I have these seeds, but I do not give a shit what those people think. Some of these seeds take some effort to get going, especially seeds from bricked weed. They were cooked, fermented and abused during transport to California back in the day. Some have grown into some wild phenos this year. The VN black, Colombian Gold and Zac purple have all produced some wire thin leave phenos. They look more like asparagus ferns than Cannabis. Purist sativas. Which I dearly love.
I read up that CBD is unstable as its levels can vary from one level to another from week 4 to finish. CBD Crew stabilised "Therapy" over many years to the point that CBD CREW claim a 75% chance of getting the stated CBD?THC ratio. Half the other 25% can swing to one extreme and the other half, to the other.

Personally, I am thrilled that Shanti is involved in both worlds, The Old world and the exciting new world, that we still dont know what direction we will be going.

Look at you, Going the THCV route, Thats a very promising ! Good luck with that.
__________________
If breeders were ROCKSTARS,

Nevil = Roger Waters/Sid Barret
Howard = Jim Morrison
Shantibaba = Jimmy Page !
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-15-2019, 05:54 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if you just shut down this site and focus exclusively on the CBD side of things. I just don't think that I could personally put up with all the disrespect and second guessing of your efforts.
Thank you for what you do and what you have done to bring medical cannabis to the world.

Shaka
Mu
I think that's what some of the shithawks posting live in hope for.

if shanti closed the forum you would have clowns from other sites/forums
claiming that that's proof shanti has lost all the original parent plants and nonsense like that.
So that they can then proceed in trying to sell you their own version of said strains,
whilst telling you ''now this is the closest thing that you can get to the originals.''

Last edited by sensi-thc; 06-15-2019 at 06:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-17-2019, 02:54 AM
Big Sur's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: The great PNW
Posts: 485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi-thc View Post
I think that's what some of the shithawks posting live in hope for.

if shanti closed the forum you would have clowns from other sites/forums
claiming that that's proof shanti has lost all the original parent plants and nonsense like that.
So that they can then proceed in trying to sell you their own version of said strains,
whilst telling you ''now this is the closest thing that you can get to the originals.''
A lot of us are getting older and many have other priorities. Sticking around just to keep the douche bags out there from making false claims is not really a priority. The shitheads out there are already making claims that Shinati does not have his original parent plants. They are also selling seeds with names like White Widow with other genetics (ie, GHS). Shanti produces tons of seeds for 'other' seed companies, not just Mr Nice. Actually he dominates the seed production market from what I have found. The Mr Nice sales model may change, and someone else may take over for Shanti in time, but his genetics are still there and they will more than likely continue. The global market is changing as more places legalize weed. Also they can produce cannabinoids in a vat from GMO yeast now, so Cannabis itself may already be obsolete. The current model for seeds sales and growing black market weed is at the end of an era.

Here on the west coast of the US, many people are starting seed companies and claiming all sorts of original genetics. The "Hawaiian Seed Company" is here in Oregon now. I seem to have more original Hawaiian genetics than they do. Many claim that the Hawaii strains no longer exist. Others claim that they never existed. I can attest that they do and did. While I have a lot of original Pacific Island strains, my original strains are dominated by Colombian, Mexican and South African genetics. Yet people post all the time on these forums that I do not have the seeds or strains that I do. They claim that my seed collection cannot exist. They also claim that many of the landraces never existed. *shrug* In the end its a weird mix of originals and knock-offs out there, and people that post just to put people down.
__________________
Landrace and heirloom seed collector/trader.

Last edited by Big Sur; 06-17-2019 at 02:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-17-2019, 04:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 63
Default

GMO cannabionods ? Sorry for my language but fuck that, I'm not gonna be putting my hand up to try that stuff.

Why do people find it hard to believe Hawaii had or has landrace cannabis ?

It seems like a perfect climate for cannabis to thrive in, it doesn't take long for plants to adapt and evolve to a climate even if it was introduced just 100 years ago what it is today will be so vastly different it's become a landrace in its self.

I wasn't there at the beginning of time or anything but I'd assume all cannabis came from a single or a couple of species and what we call thai, columbian etc landrace species are a result of evolution.

I don't know what's wrong with people, why does everyone have to be so spiteful. Maybe there jelous of you Big Sur ? Why would they let that bother them, it doesn't effect them in anyway.

Last edited by Dkeppel; 06-17-2019 at 05:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-17-2019, 05:46 AM
Big Sur's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: The great PNW
Posts: 485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeppel View Post
GMO cannabionods ? Sorry for my language but fuck that, I'm not gonna be putting my hand up to try that stuff.

Why do people find it hard to believe Hawaii had or has landrace cannabis ?

It seems like a perfect climate for cannabis to thrive in, it doesn't take long for plants to adapt and evolve to a climate even if it was introduced just 100 years ago what it is today will be so vastly different it's become a landrace in its self.

I wasn't there at the beginning of time or anything but I'd assume all cannabis came from a single or a couple of species and what we call thai, columbian etc landrace species are a result of evolution.

I don't know what's wrong with people, why does everyone have to be so spiteful. Maybe there jelous of you Big Sur ?
The refined cannabinoids (and terpenoids) produced by the yeast are not GMO. Only the yeast that produces it will be GMO. Unlike say corn, where the GMO DNA in the crop is part of what you ingest. The cannabinoids themselves will be filtered out and be the exact same molecular structure as the cannabinoids made by plants. At 1/100 the cost to produce, they will become prevalent in the marketplace. Half the marijuana products sold in the western legal states like California are cartridges for pens now. No one cares or knows where the cannabinoids in the oil comes from. If its 100% CBD, its 100% CBD. Made from Cannabis or made from GMO yeast. Like it or not. Its coming down the pipe.

Dunno about why people think what they do these days. That is what they post. "They" say that there were no real Hawaii strains and if there were any there are none left now. "They" also say that there was only one Mexico strain. I was banned from Overgrow over a beef with a guy saying that Zacatecas Purple was a myth, it never existed, and there was only one landrace strain in all of Mexico. I have a dozen or so landrace Mexican strains including Zac Purple that contradict that belief, but it is what people believe and post and rant about online. Basically what was once common knowledge in the 1970s is simply being lost to time and a lack of education. The millennial generation does not seem to care.

I have seen Cannabis adapt very rapidly to new climates and my belief is that you can get a localized landrace adapted to a region in as little as 40 years. Maybe even less than that. Change the environment and climate, and Cannabis will change. It is pre-disposed to adaptation by genetic switching. Not unlike humans. Japanese population moving to the US grew 2 inches taller on average in subsequent generations after moving here. If you are a male and your father or grandfather was exposed to a famine in their youth, you are more likely to live longer than if they were not. For this reason I only breed first and second generation IBL seeds. Past that and they change. 4 generations is reported to be the norm for 'genetic drift' as it is commonly called. Its not mutation, its gene switching.

As for the origins of Cannabis, we have posted here about old Euoprean strains (look at my thread here on MrN called "Get me to the Greek"). They date back at least 8,000 years in Europe from archeological evidence. So likely Cannabis came out of the ice ages all over northern Eurasia like some of us humans did. At least my ancestors that were around the Asian Steppes about 12,000 years ago. Weed and beer both likely go back 12,000 years to the dawn of agriculture and before civilization.
__________________
Landrace and heirloom seed collector/trader.

Last edited by Big Sur; 06-17-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-17-2019, 08:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 63
Default

Very interesting stuff regarding origins of cannabis and growing cannabinods in yeast, wonder what pharmaceutical company has the patent for that technology, bet you there rubbing there hands together.

I'm gonna put my tin foil hat on now and say it all sounds to good to be true, 1/100th the cost, less enviromental impact and more pure with no down sides you say, there's got to be a catch.

I'll remove my tin foil hat now and ask what's your thoughts on the subject ?

I've not done a hell of a lot of outdoor growing with cannabis but with Tobacco just 2 seasons makes a noticable difference to resistence, sadly it's the climate that grows good tobacco really and ours here just doesn't cut it for bright leaf anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-17-2019, 11:48 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sur View Post
A lot of us are getting older and many have other priorities. Sticking around just to keep the douche bags out there from making false claims is not really a priority.
some of us that's smart enough to see what's going on need to speak up
or people like you with ulterior motives and some with their many sock puppet handles are able to set the tone of the discussion's
and spread misinformation with aim of, to promote their own fake seed companies at the expense of others.
furthermore it is some peoples jobs attached to these fake seed repackaging operations to promote their fake brands online whilst sowing the seeds of doubt about genuine rival companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sur View Post
The shitheads out there are already making claims that Shinati does not have his original parent plants.
no shit sherlock and why do you think that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sur View Post
They are also selling seeds with names like White Widow with other genetics (ie, GHS)
greenhouse seeds is old news now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sur View Post
Shanti produces tons of seeds for 'other' seed companies, not just Mr Nice. Actually he dominates the seed production market from what I have found.
yeah, The CBD Crew look them up.
I'm sure other genuine seed companies want their CBD seed lines from shanti and the CBDcrew because they are genuinely what they say they are with lab results to back up what they say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sur View Post
Also they can produce cannabinoids in a vat from GMO yeast now, so Cannabis itself may already be obsolete. The current model for seeds sales and growing black market weed is at the end of an era.
leave you to get on with it with your yeast then.

and there will always be a black market for top quality home grown.
even in Colorado there is still a black market as not everybody can grow their own or willing to pay the high taxes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sur View Post
Here on the west coast of the US,
I take whatever you say with a pinch of salt from now on

Last edited by sensi-thc; 06-17-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-17-2019, 03:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eire
Posts: 621
Default

People seem to be forgetting that the 2 people who made the most money on using Nevils name and genetics are Shanti and Arjan.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-17-2019, 06:36 PM
masey's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: England
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecky View Post
People seem to be forgetting that the 2 people who made the most money on using Nevils name and genetics are Shanti and Arjan.
Have a day off will you. Like shanti said don't comment on things you have zero understanding off.

Sensi Seeds was the proprietor of "the seed bank" collection". No idea where you have been fed your BS from, but i can assure you 110% it is in-fact total BS nothing more nothing less.

Empty vessels make the most noise?
__________________
"You will get the most attention from those who hate you. No friend, no admirer and no partner will flatter you with as much curiosity"
Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Last edited by masey; 06-17-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All rights reserved, MR NICE SEEDBANK, NL