Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS Forums > 3. The daily news

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2019, 06:57 AM

Sad to hear this, Shanti. I did not know he had passed. I have some 7 or 8 packs of seeds from him that I was just considering what to run in my new sativa room and logged onto the forums for the first time in about 7 years to see this.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:15 AM
Breeder and moderator

Hi All

So while many of you may feel you would wish me to be doing certain projects rather than others, it is in the end an individuals choice.
In recent years the amount of demand for the licence facilities in USA (3 states), the seed production of CBD crew and MNS as well as the seed bulk production for other companies, the formulation of certain recipes for end products of Dr. Nice, and all else....well i did not find time to spend working in one country long enough to do serious selections and trials that merit new strains. Sure we have a lot of ongoing unfinished projects which we fitted in bits and pieces of work, but not enough to conclude , test and verify all we need to do in MNS methodology to pass it into a new hybrid. We do not merely chemically induce selected females and call it a new strain, so please understand the differences in time invested in breeding verse female seed production or regular seed production. MNS takes at least 2 years if not more to start and finish new strains and there is still no guarantee these will be successful with all growers...so you can understand why companies sell female seed and come up with new names as quickly as they do...it is selected seed production not breeding.
Anyway Howard and I in 2007 went already towards medical areas of working on Cannabis, and Nevil declined my offer to join with us then and had spent effort to continue the search for the ultimate haze regular...that was when CBD crew came into being and our work as first CBD enriched seed began a lot of this movement in CBD...now some years later those decisions we all made meant our work loads and projects became different and more specialized.
It is what it is and we have our passions that drive us...sometimes one begins with one goal and on route readjust and reappraise ones ultimate goal. Nevertheless , what my individual passions in cannabis projects were and are, have changed dramatically over the years so i know some will be happier than others...but i and my crew can only do certain amount of work...but we do try to do it as best we can so all who use it benefit.

I do not think this thread needs to continue to do more than offer fair discussions about real experience with seeds in question rather than hypothesizing about others so called experiences with certain companies seed strains. I will accept any who has done a grow giving their opinion of their experience but not others...thanks

all the best Sb

"Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner." -Lao Tzu

all the best,
Shantibaba
http://www.mrnice.nl
https://shop.mrnice.nl
Old 06-13-2019, 01:59 PM

I believe most of us are aware of the shenanigans in this industry. Everyone chasing money these days and lacking in original ideas. Copycats. Unscrupulous ones at that. And who can blame you going in the direction of medical CBD products? A market currently at $8 billion here in the US, expected to grow to over $25 billion withing 5 years. The fact is medical is where it is at as many studies including Gallup are indicating that most ppl want legalization; for the CBD medical side of things not the recreation. Many are looking for alternatives to traditional medicines which are oftentimes expensive and addictive. An untapped market and a very smart business decision.
As for the PITA's on this site- insisting you give up your secret formula is akin to asking Coke for their recipe. I wouldn't be surprised if you just shut down this site and focus exclusively on the CBD side of things. Not that I want that to happen, I just don't think that I could personally put up with all the disrespect and second guessing of your efforts.
Thank you for what you do and what you have done to bring medical cannabis to the world.

Shaka
Mu
Old 06-13-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi View Post
I believe most of us are aware of the shenanigans in this industry. Everyone chasing money these days and lacking in original ideas. Copycats. Unscrupulous ones at that. And who can blame you going in the direction of medical CBD products? A market currently at $8 billion here in the US, expected to grow to over $25 billion withing 5 years. The fact is medical is where it is at as many studies including Gallup are indicating that most ppl want legalization; for the CBD medical side of things not the recreation. Many are looking for alternatives to traditional medicines which are oftentimes expensive and addictive. An untapped market and a very smart business decision.
As for the PITA's on this site- insisting you give up your secret formula is akin to asking Coke for their recipe. I wouldn't be surprised if you just shut down this site and focus exclusively on the CBD side of things. Not that I want that to happen, I just don't think that I could personally put up with all the disrespect and second guessing of your efforts.
Thank you for what you do and what you have done to bring medical cannabis to the world.

Shaka
Mu
I totally agree with you. Imagine Picasso's reaction, if being told "Hey ! you dont do anymore blue period stuff", lol.

There is a new demographic and it is the CBD side. I have grown CBD Crew and I have to acknowledge it is an exciting field and yet there is so much more to discover, Cannabinoids more powerful than CBD and yet in much smaller quantities.
Just as the breeders from days past have chased the the highest THC levels, chasing other cannabinoids to up their levels and maybe at the expense of THC, is a challenge the special ones will take up. I imagine that Shanti has been bitten by that bug and I have to say I would be much more trusting in Shantibaba's CBD genetics than the other jonny come lately to the CBD party.

I think we should bring the CBD Crew growers into this forum and make a bigger family. Im almost certain they are clueless of the mr.Nice legacy as they came in from the medicinal angle lately and maybe not to much knowledge of the old classics.

Nevil = Roger Waters/Sid Barret
Howard = Jim Morrison
Shantibaba = Jimmy Page !
Old 06-13-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantibaba View Post
Nevertheless , what my individual passions in cannabis projects were and are, have changed dramatically over the years so i know some will be happier than others...but i and my crew can only do certain amount of work...but we do try to do it as best we can so all who use it benefit.

all the best Sb
This was what had caught my eye the most out of Shantis words. Your genetics have been ripped off by other companies for decades. Even noobies like myself are aware of that, so to see someone trying to capitalize on neville's passing doesnt surprise me in the least. Perhaps a little shocked it wasn't GHS.

Sorry for getting off topic but that part of your response sounds like you're trying to manage a rapidly growing business without adding the extra to your "crew" and or staff to supply the demand. If that's the case sign me up. Who wouldn't want to learn from and work for a legend? Talk about a dream job.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:42 PM

I have much respect for anyone who has a passion for what they do despite what others may want them to do.

I think CBD is great and it's easier to accept as a medicine for the closed minded but the therapeutic properties of THC are greatly overlooked, the terminally sick, cancer patients etc etc all benefit from THC.

When I was diagnosed with cancer I was already eatting opiates like candy to help my pain but they only do so much and have terrible side effects, what offered more relief for me was high THC weed, smoke a bit of that and the pains still there but you don't care your able to smile again and sit on the couch with your wife watching some TV insteed of worrying what's going to happen to you.

Even my doctors were supportive in my illegal country of my cannabis use for therapeutic purpose, I'll quote my surgeon "If it makes you feel happier and takes your mind off things, that's a powerful medicine in its self, it allows your body to heal."
Old 06-14-2019, 04:44 AM
Banned

you know whats worse than "someone trying to cash in on nevils passing"?
wrongfully accusing someone of trying to cash in on nevils passing.
again, this strain was in the works and maybe even out before nevil passed.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:59 AM

G'day Shanti

Any reports of analysis of cannabinoid profiles and terpene profiles of the varieties of yours?
Old 06-14-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi View Post

Shaka
Mu
Knowing what I know from several people in Europe that I am involved with there, you may not be too far off with this site going off line. Or having a major change.

As for CBD, that is a fickle gene. I have some choice Canadian CBD hemp strains from the feds up there and they are completely hit and miss. I do not see any way to generate seeds that will consistently result in high levels of CBD. It is like getting RKS from skunk beans. For me its been a game of chance, growing a lot of them and culling all but the high CBD plants and cloning those. Breeding those has been a bust. I have done much better breeding my landraces. I can get good results in one or two generations with those early genetics. These CBD strains are elusive. The early skunks also generate wildly diverse phenotypes. Unstable... like CBD. Nothing consistent in my experience growing them. I grow them as a random novelty to see what I get. Maybe I will get a good one, maybe not.

This year I am reverting to breeding my Durban hybrids BX and with Vietnam Black in search of a higher THCv strain. I am also working on a higher CBC strain (not CBD, CBC) with Maui Waui. I am also running some of my landrace Zacatecas Purples and one of my Colombian golds to generate IBL beans. These are real landraces from bag weed seed that I got in the 1970s. No seed companies were involved in my frozen early 1970s seed collection. Many do not believe that I have these seeds, but I do not give a shit what those people think. Some of these seeds take some effort to get going, especially seeds from bricked weed. They were cooked, fermented and abused during transport to California back in the day. Some have grown into some wild phenos this year. The VN black, Colombian Gold and Zac purple have all produced some wire thin leave phenos. They look more like asparagus ferns than Cannabis. Purist sativas. Which I dearly love.

Last edited by Big Sur; 06-14-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sur View Post
Purist sativas. Which I dearly love.

I hear you brother. So glad to hear you are running some purple Zac this year; please let us know how they turn out.