Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS Forums > 3. The daily news

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry View Post
You can use CRISP to put a exogenous gene in a existing DNA.
People try not to do that so the plant does not need to be called GMO.
Having good genetics and knowing how to use this genetics are two different things.
You would be more convincing if you knew what it's called. I am done with the nonsense aspect.

EDIT: CRISPR could be used in combination with other gene splicing technologies. But on it's own, it operates within the genome of the selected organism.

https://www.popsci.com/new-crispr-va...-dna-to-plants

Last edited by PlantManBee; 12-03-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Bud View Post
G `day Glow

How about Santy Clause and the Easter Bunny ?

They are about as credible as the sacred seeds bust story .
Show me the hard evidence before the hear say ?

You think a Narc could survive 30 years in Amsterdam ???

Thanks for sharin

EB .
A Narc became the biggest baddest mother fucker in the Mexican cartels El Chapo. The Dutch have nothing on the Mexican cartels so yes it's most certainly possible.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantManBee View Post
You would be more convincing if you knew what it's called. I am done with the nonsense aspect.

EDIT: CRISPR could be used in combination with other gene splicing technologies. But on it's own, it operates within the genome of the selected organism.

https://www.popsci.com/new-crispr-va...-dna-to-plants
https://ensia.com/voices/crispr-is-c...rs-and-nature/

"However, for all the attention to precise edits that do not introduce foreign genes, it’s important to understand that CRISPR is highly adept at that kind of modification too. Using CRISPR, wheat, corn, pigs, bananas — any agricultural organism, really — could be engineered to include gene sequences from a range of donors: microbes or fungi or fish. “You can easily use CRISPR-Cas9 to edit virtually any genome with your desired donor DNA,” "

Yeah, it is the lack of an R that make my post desinformative.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:14 PM

Using the correct terminology is pretty crucial in the science world, yes.

Again, CRISPR is designed to work within the genome. You could introduce other genetic material prior to using CRISPR, but it's not CRISPR introducing the genes.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sur View Post
My issues with David Watson (AKA: Sam the Skunkman, Dr Frankenbeanstein, Sam Selezney, etc. etc.) is that he was supplied the seeds from the DEA busts in California and made a fortune off of them. He also took full credit for developing many of those strains; Cali-O and Skunk, among others. He also claims to have founded Sacred Seeds in 1974, which is a flat out lie. It was established in the late 1930s or early 1940s. He was never the manager there, or head breeder. He was a hanger outer there. Also everyone around him in Santa Cruz and later in Amsterdam wound up getting busted and doing jail time, while he walked every time. Never mind that his arrest record from the Sacred Seeds bust has been mysteriously redacted or removed at the Santa Cruz sheriff's office, even though the earlier Dutch investigation uncovered it's existence earlier with dates and specifics.

While it is true that Watson wound up injecting genetics into the global weed scene, albeit indirectly for rather sinister reasons set up by the DEA, they were not developed by him, at least not in California. I do not know what he did with the seeds in Amsterdam, but I know a lot about what was going on here in the US west, and particularly the Monterey Bay area at that time. Skunk weed was all over the place in the late 1970s. No way one grower developed it or grew it. Cali-O was developed by Jerry Beisler. Also the Haze Bros are a retro-lie that he made up for High Times. They were not brothers, and they were not named Haze. There was no Haze strain around there before 1986 that I am aware of either, nor has anyone else that I knew there heard of it. I lived in the Monterey Bay area from 1966 to 1986, then in Los Gatos and the San Jose area from 1993 to 2003.

As for his GMO stuff, he still denies that he has anything to do with them. He says that he is 'retired' now, obviously fat and living off his profits from the sales of his companies. He also seems to be immune to DEA prosecution, and his arrest record has been wiped clean. He told me that he had over a metric ton of seeds. I dunno what he is going to do with them all. Amusing too, if you post anything negative about him a lot of places online, there are usually instant doubters and supporters of him. Some are obviously him with yet more aliases. I had one person pop up and tell me that I had to be born there to know anyone like the Haze Bros. in Correlitos. Pffft... I knew a LOT of heavies in Morgan Hill, Gilroy, Prunedale, Salinas, Monterey, Big Sur and Santa Cruz in the 70s and 80s. They (and I) were dealing a LOT of weed and other stuff. Big Sur and Prunedale were pretty closed communities, but if you had good weed? Same in Santa Cruz, like at the Old Sash Mill. I got the band Crazy Horse so stoned one night they had to stop playing. That was in 1978 when I had a bag of fresh bud from Carmel Valley, grown from seeds that I had supplied a friend. Niel Young got really pissed and stomped off, as was typical. He was mad that no one was dancing that night anyway.

The shit I stirred up back then. Meh, no one cares any more. Certainly not the millennials. History has been re-written and is vastly different than the era that I lived in.
would love to read your stories of your youth.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Using the correct terminology is pretty crucial in the science world, yes.

Again, CRISPR is designed to work within the genome. You could introduce other genetic material prior to using CRISPR, but it's not CRISPR introducing the genes.
You cut the place with CRISPR Cas9 and if the correct piece of donor DNA is present it can be integrated in the cut sequence by the cell itself.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4881549/

So yes, you can use CRISPR/CAS9 to introduce exogenous genes.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:27 PM

Lol.

I give up. You are still conflating the technologies. CRISPR doesn't introduce the foreign genes.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntmassa View Post
QUOTE=Sam_Skunkman;8125709]In general I oppose GMO crops, they may or not be safe but I hate they way it is used to create varieties that are resistant to Roundup and the like.
CRISPR is different in that no foreign DNA is inserted, it is a tool to edit the genes, and does really the same as breeding but with much more rapid results, as the same alterations will occur in nature or in classical breeding at a much slower rate. CRISPR tech can be considered organic by some groups and not by others. The USDA and various Organic Associations around the world seem to differ on opinions. It can be used to reduce dependence on pesticides, and fungicides, that is good.
CRISPR tech does not require the same disclosure as GMO crops with inserted foreign genes in them, CRISPR can be done with Cannabis and no one could tell the difference between a plant breed using classical breeding and a CRISPR modified plant, so it will happen, but to use the tech it is expensive and also proprietary tech but the savings in time, labor and money using it compared to classical breeding will ensure it is widely use in the near future.
-SamS
Quote:
I've known for a while GW Pharmacuticals was working in partnership with Veritas Pharma Inc. which is the first company to patent a marijuana plant most likely it would be a GMO plant. The company does have an investors statement in which they admit to working to genetically engineer marijuana.

But now Sam is speaking of GMO marijuana that he claimed nobody was working on when I knew it was 100% being worked on thanks to Chimeras work as head breeder with Veritas Pharma Inc.
G `day Blunt

Here`s is what he said in reply to questions about GMO .

Never worked or wanted to work with GMO Cannabis, period. I have never worked or ever plan to work with CRISPR, I am all but retired there is no chance I will do this even if I did want to, which I do not. I am a classical plant breeder.
I do find it interesting as a methodology under certain circumstances.
There are several other lesser know Cannabis breeders that understand the big picture and have the starting materials to accomplish big goals, in the future more and more of them will be Phd educated plant breeders that have a deep understand of genetics, and Cannabis. I have mentored a few the last decade or two.
We all stand on the shoulders of giants, from Mendel, Burbank, Vavilov, Bocsa, Bredemann, Von Segenbuch, Fleischmann, and too many others to name.
-SamS

Spreading disinformation like a Boss .
Are you employed by a Gov agency ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Last edited by Elmer Bud; 12-03-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Lol.

I give up. You are still conflating the technologies. CRISPR doesn't introduce the foreign genes.
"Now going into more detail, there are two mechanisms which can occur after a DNA double strand is cleaved. Both are part of the endogenous DNA repair machinery and depend on the presence of an adequate homology repair template (see Fig. 1):

A) Non-homologous end-joining (NHEJ) happens in the absence of an exogenous homology repair template and can introduce insertions or deletions (indels) eventually leading to frameshift mutations or gene knockouts.

B) Homology-directed repair (HDR) happens if an exogenous repair template (for example, a manipulated gene) is available and can be inserted into the opened DNA strand by the repair machinery producing a precise gene modification."
https://www.leica-microsystems.com/s...e-engineering/

If you are saying that you can use CRISPR without introducing new genes that is true, but you can use CRISPR to cleave the DNA and the own cell will use their own system to put the donor gene sequence that you want. Both things can be done with CRISPR.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Bud View Post
G `day Glow

How about Santy Clause and the Easter Bunny ?

They are about as credible as the sacred seeds bust story .
Show me the hard evidence before the hear say ?

You think a Narc could survive 30 years in Amsterdam ???

Thanks for sharin

EB .
Don't know what world you live in champ but the simple answer to that is yes - narcs survive and prosper all the time. And really on the Sacred Seeds bust --- perhaps you ought to be speaking to people who were on the ground at the time such as Joseph R. Pietri and Neville. Like I said many people with cred think the skunkman stinks. Like I also said do the math.