Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS Forums > 3. The daily news

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2017, 10:22 PM

Doctors Geoffrey Guy and Brian Whittle founded GW Pharmaceuticals in 1998. That year they obtained a cultivation license from the United Kingdom Home Office and the MHRA, allowing GW Pharmaceuticals to cultivate cannabis from seeds and clones to conduct scientific research concerning the medicinal uses of the plant.[7][8]

HortaPharm Edit
In July 1998, GW Pharmaceuticals collaborated with HortaPharm B.V., a cannabis research and development corporation based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands,[9] founded by two expert horticulturists from California,[10] Robert Connell Clarke[11] and David Paul Watson, also known as 'Sam the Skunkman'. [12] HortaPharm grew medicinal strains for the Dutch government.[13][14] [15] [16]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GW_Pharmaceuticals
Old 12-01-2017, 11:04 PM

The Sam rat thing..... If you weren't there, it's hearsay.

Currently I am tired of the public in general just filling in the blanks after the "if" in today's accusation equals guilty environment.

Many people I respect respect him. I withhold judgement. This is all pretty funny because I actually had Sam basically begging me to side with him in one of the many "he said she said" arguments over on ICM. I won't. Too many conflicting reports. It becomes a popularity contest instead of measured analysis.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntmassa View Post
I also know many many people have came to the conclusion Sam The Skunkman has been a DEA informant since before he met Nevil and Nevil never denied it only confirmed it.

Also the DNA database Sam collected is going to be a tool for the DEA. I certainly have not seen anything nice from the DNA (mapping) though might help with GMO's. For a plant to obtain a patent it must be either GMO or true breeding as far as I understand.
Yep a lot of people with cred think Sam is a DEA narc. Let's face it the guy does a runner from the US after the Sacred Seed Collective gets taken down. Somehow though Sam manages to grab the seed while it is under DEA watch. He then shows in NL and the busts begin. The corker though is he is/was the first and only person to be given DEA approval to export his seeds to the US. Go figure!
Old 12-02-2017, 01:21 AM

lol. I should just be saying, it pays to separate the message from the messenger at times.

I should have realized this was Sam Slammin thread from the outset.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow View Post
Yep a lot of people with cred think Sam is a DEA narc. Let's face it the guy does a runner from the US after the Sacred Seed Collective gets taken down. Somehow though Sam manages to grab the seed while it is under DEA watch. He then shows in NL and the busts begin. The corker though is he is/was the first and only person to be given DEA approval to export his seeds to the US. Go figure!
G `day Glow

How about Santy Clause and the Easter Bunny ?

They are about as credible as the sacred seeds bust story .
Show me the hard evidence before the hear say ?

You think a Narc could survive 30 years in Amsterdam ???

Thanks for sharin

EB .
Old 12-02-2017, 10:30 PM

Could a narc survive? yes I believe one could. This and every thread on the subject should show you how.. your attitude shows us how.. most won't cut off somebody on unfounded rumours.. some will still want beneficial product/information no matter who or where it comes from.. dea aren't going to come out and give everybody the proof either way in our lifetime, so unless Sam himself said he was, it'll forever be a rumour. Maybe dea stuff becomes public record in 200 years? Idk.. that said,I'm that minority that'll just keep away once the rumour hits, no point making shit easy for them and what am I missing out on? Nothing... and nothing that I can't get elsewhere..

Last edited by Growstone; 12-02-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantManBee View Post
A ship load of conflation going on here in my OPINION.

I'm not really happy about CRISPR, but it works WITHIN the existing genome. GMO tends to refer to "Chimeras" created through inserting genetic material from completely different organisms. Like when crops have Bacillus thuringiensis genetic material introduced into their genome.

In theory, everything that can be accomplished through CRISPR could be accomplished through breeding. Not so with GMO. Both are suspect, but they are not the same thing.

As for Sam.... I hate to prejudge. Which is where prejudice comes from. Don't like Sam, that is fine. Just because he is suspect doesn't mean he can't have valuable ideas. Hell, HE is largely responsible for the upstream genetics for Neville. I see people scrambling to pin down Neville's lines every day. Like he created them out of thin air.

I would personally prefer male/female matings and testing. People are being taught that waiting and patience are for fools. I will continue my chopping wood and carrying water, the old way.
Two things:
First CRISP can introduce outside genes in a organism (making what you call a chimera).
Second where are the outstanding lines that Sam the Skunkman brings? Whem you see, for example, the best sativa in the leafly catalog you will see a lot of SSH crosses. Where are the Sam hazes?
Old 12-03-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry View Post
Two things:
First CRISP can introduce outside genes in a organism (making what you call a chimera).
Second where are the outstanding lines that Sam the Skunkman brings? Whem you see, for example, the best sativa in the leafly catalog you will see a lot of SSH crosses. Where are the Sam hazes?
CRISPR works within the organism's existing genome.
Haze a and c. Neville popped seeds supplied by Sam.

Last edited by PlantManBee; 12-03-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:54 AM

My issues with David Watson (AKA: Sam the Skunkman, Dr Frankenbeanstein, Sam Selezney, etc. etc.) is that he was supplied the seeds from the DEA busts in California and made a fortune off of them. He also took full credit for developing many of those strains; Cali-O and Skunk, among others. He also claims to have founded Sacred Seeds in 1974, which is a flat out lie. It was established in the late 1930s or early 1940s. He was never the manager there, or head breeder. He was a hanger outer there. Also everyone around him in Santa Cruz and later in Amsterdam wound up getting busted and doing jail time, while he walked every time. Never mind that his arrest record from the Sacred Seeds bust has been mysteriously redacted or removed at the Santa Cruz sheriff's office, even though the earlier Dutch investigation uncovered it's existence earlier with dates and specifics.

While it is true that Watson wound up injecting genetics into the global weed scene, albeit indirectly for rather sinister reasons set up by the DEA, they were not developed by him, at least not in California. I do not know what he did with the seeds in Amsterdam, but I know a lot about what was going on here in the US west, and particularly the Monterey Bay area at that time. Skunk weed was all over the place in the late 1970s. No way one grower developed it or grew it. Cali-O was developed by Jerry Beisler. Also the Haze Bros are a retro-lie that he made up for High Times. They were not brothers, and they were not named Haze. There was no Haze strain around there before 1986 that I am aware of either, nor has anyone else that I knew there heard of it. I lived in the Monterey Bay area from 1966 to 1986, then in Los Gatos and the San Jose area from 1993 to 2003.

As for his GMO stuff, he still denies that he has anything to do with them. He says that he is 'retired' now, obviously fat and living off his profits from the sales of his companies. He also seems to be immune to DEA prosecution, and his arrest record has been wiped clean. He told me that he had over a metric ton of seeds. I dunno what he is going to do with them all. Amusing too, if you post anything negative about him a lot of places online, there are usually instant doubters and supporters of him. Some are obviously him with yet more aliases. I had one person pop up and tell me that I had to be born there to know anyone like the Haze Bros. in Correlitos. Pffft... I knew a LOT of heavies in Morgan Hill, Gilroy, Prunedale, Salinas, Monterey, Big Sur and Santa Cruz in the 70s and 80s. They (and I) were dealing a LOT of weed and other stuff. Big Sur and Prunedale were pretty closed communities, but if you had good weed? Same in Santa Cruz, like at the Old Sash Mill. I got the band Crazy Horse so stoned one night they had to stop playing. That was in 1978 when I had a bag of fresh bud from Carmel Valley, grown from seeds that I had supplied a friend. Niel Young got really pissed and stomped off, as was typical. He was mad that no one was dancing that night anyway.

The shit I stirred up back then. Meh, no one cares any more. Certainly not the millennials. History has been re-written and is vastly different than the era that I lived in.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantManBee View Post
CRISPR works within the organism's existing genome.
Haze a and c. Neville popped seeds supplied by Sam.
You can use CRISP to put a exogenous gene in a existing DNA.
People try not to do that so the plant does not need to be called GMO.
Having good genetics and knowing how to use this genetics are two different things.