Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS Forums > 3. The daily news

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 07:18 AM

Default LSD Turns 70 Today

On this day in 1943, the psychedelic effects of LSD were accidentally discovered by chemist Albert Hoffman, who absorbed some through his fingertips while trying to synthesize pharmaceuticals. He described a "not unpleasant intoxicated-like condition, characterized by an extremely stimulated imagination" followed by “an uninterrupted stream of fantastic pictures, extraordinary shapes with intense, kaleidoscopic play of colors.” And thus, the "trip" was born. A few days later on April 19, Hoffman took acid on purpose and famously rode his bike home while "fried"—a day that would become known in drug circles as Bicycle Day. “I think that in human evolution it has never been as necessary to have this substance LSD,” Hoffman said on his 100th birthday, “It is just a tool to turn us into what we are supposed to be.”

Since the drug's inception, scientists, the military and even the CIA have attempted to harness the its hallucinogenic powers. It's also been tested on animals (like the confused cat below, filmed as part of a US government program of the '50s and '60s). And many notables have used it recreationally, from Ray Charles, to Jack Nicholson to Eminem. Brave New World author Aldous Huxley was such a fan that he requested to be injected with LSD while he died; scientist Francis Crick credited the psychedelic for his discovery of the DNA double helix; and baseball great Dock Ellis famously pitched a no-hitter while "under the influence of LSD," which he later called "the high-point of my baseball career." Even modern technology hasn't eclipsed acid's appeal. In fact, the late Steve Jobs once cited LSD as a major factor in his success. “Doing LSD was one of the two or three most important things I have done in my life,” he told the New York Times, saying that he believed Bill Gates would “be a broader guy if he had dropped acid once.”

LSD Turns 70 Today | The Fix
Old 04-18-2013, 02:19 PM

happy birthday sydney!
I love you very very much!(We)
you helped build dreams and destroy barriers!

Who knew happy accidents had such powerful outcomes?(I believe the guy was researching asthmatic treatment)

I've never looked at a rye weed the same....wether picking strawberries or apples

Thanks MSbb;you can only be free once you've danced with the devil...

(Is that creepy-ass Pink Floyd song"Bike" about that day?Is the "kind of girl who fits in with my world" a metaphor for acid?)

I would enjoy one more trip,but I believe it's not possible since my nerves are shot,I'm too old and I either know too much or not enough about myself!

Bye-bye for now...your friend Jar-Jar-Binks.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:48 PM

One thing about LSD that is amazing is how much of the experience you can bring back with you.

It's like going to another country (located on another planet).

It's also interesting how you don't really feel the need to do it again, it's not at all habitual.

Happy birthday SID

Dreamtime 2013
Grail Widow Test
My First Scrog
Old 04-18-2013, 07:01 PM

Thumbs up

im with u guys

love and understanding
Old 04-18-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
“I think that in human evolution it has never been as necessary to have this substance LSD,” Hoffman said on his 100th birthday, “It is just a tool to turn us into what we are supposed to be.”
Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 PM

@Betterhaff - awesome!

Dreamtime 2013
Grail Widow Test
My First Scrog
Old 04-18-2013, 09:12 PM

Happy Birthday "ACID",
We first met 45 years ago in the San Francisco area. We were last together two years ago. Wonder-wonder-wonderful!
I was lucky enough to say hi to Jerry Garcia and see his friend Owsley,in the day.
His product was legendary.
The best acid I ever had turned out to be STP.
My only freak-out was at Altamont Speedway,12-6-1969
Thank-you,Mother
Peace,love,respect,
Charmilles

ps,I would do it again.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:26 AM

Thumbs up First Trip

High all,
July 3, 1975 was a day I will never forget. Yellow microdot, can still recall some of the sensorials and hallucinations. Remember what I ate for supper. It changes a person, hopefully for the better. Big thank you to Abbie Hoffman.-bk

-"Marijuana people are the 'new' second class citizens. Now is the time to move up to first class."-bk
Old 04-19-2013, 07:49 AM

Yer my first kiss with Lucy was in 1980 while listening to Nazareth and staring at Rodney Mathews album art!

It's was like that movie "Night at the Weird Museum!" It was the day where Art came alive

Tunnels of light and colour with the words love written all over it. Jezz I would love to give it one more go, But just can't find it anymore not like you could in the late 70's..

Oh well Peace and Love
Old 04-19-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmilles View Post
My only freak-out was at Altamont Speedway,12-6-1969
Ouch Charmilles, that was a rough show. A lot of people just freaked out for what ever reason. Glad to hear that was your only rough experience and that it didn't effect your appreciation.