Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS Forums > 3. The daily news

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Breeder and moderator

Default Illawarra group lobbies for medical cannabis

Illawarra group lobbies for medical cannabis
By CYDONEE MARDON
March 13, 2013
A volunteer organisation representing Illawarra residents living with cancer wants cannabis approved for medicinal use to help people suffering chronic pain.
Cancer survivor Sally Crossing told a NSW parliamentary committee hearing this week it "seemed self-evident" that cannabis relieved pain for many sufferers.
"Enabling the medical use of cannabis is commonsense and kindness," said Ms Crossing, who is deputy chair of the voluntary advocacy group Cancer Voices NSW.
"While we watch the Americas and Europe gradually seeing the benefits of treating cannabis like alcohol, let's focus on this present compelling matter - allowing cannabis to be used as a medical drug for those symptoms it can alleviate."
The committee is inquiring into the feasibility and safety of using cannabis as a medicine, the legal implications and how it could be supplied to patients.
Ms Crossing said her group - which has a large following in the Illawarra - was in favour of medicinal cannabis use, with the proper legal and medical protocols and assurance of safe delivery.
She said stronger drugs classed as illegal had long been approved for medicinal use without problems.
"Too many people think it's the thin end of the wedge or the beginning of the slippery slope," Ms Crossing said.
She said other painkillers could have severe side-effects whereas cannabis could do the job without side effects, as shown in some states in the United States.
"We see major benefits, specifically for relief of symptoms and side effects which are often not well managed now," she said.
"We fully support the placement of controls to ensure appropriate prescribing protocols and safe and efficient delivery to people for whom it has been prescribed.
"I am speaking today for a lot of people, those who have cancer. Some of us will die of our disease and some won't.
"Regardless, the comfort of knowing that a helpful drug has been added to the fairly limited offerings we have now would be very welcome."
The group supported the Parliament's previous attempt to consider "legislating sensibleness into the relevant legislation".
It is now asking those with the "power" to recommend that an amendment is made to the relevant act, with adequate safeguards in place.
Ref:Illawarra group lobbies for medical cannabis | Illawarra Mercury
Use of cannabis for medical purposes (Inquiry)
This inquiry is a current Legislative Council inquiry conducted by the General Purpose Standing Committee No. 4. This Inquiry was established by the Legislative Council on Thursday 22 November 2012 to inquire and report on the use of cannabis for medical purposes.

The Inquiry will examine the efficacy and safety of using cannabis for medical purposes; if and how cannabis should be supplied for medical use; the legal implications and issues concerning the use of cannabis for medical purposes and any other related matters. The Inquiry will examine a range of modes by which the chemical properties of cannabis may be accessed for therapeutic purposes, from smoking of the plant to the manufacturing of pharmaceutical products consumed in nasal sprays, tablet or other forms.
Other Documents (click to show)
11/03/2013 Tabled document: Ms Brydon, Pain Australia, written statement from Ms Hodges

11/03/2013 Tabled document: Mr Bower, Mullaways Medical Cannabis, Images of fences restricting access to hemp farms

Ref:Use of cannabis for medical purposes (Inquiry) - NSW Parliament

"Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner." -Lao Tzu

all the best,
Shantibaba
http://www.mrnice.nl
https://shop.mrnice.nl
Old 03-14-2013, 12:35 PM

Default the squeaky wheel gets the grease

whatever happened to compassion, the type of compassion taught in the bible that was force-fed into my brain when i was growing up?
thats what i don't get about the 'christian-right'...the whole practise what you preach thing...

i'm looking forward to the day i have to renew my 'cannabis farmer' licence for another year.

thanks for posting this shanti
cR