MNS Forums

MNS Forums (https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/)
-   3. The daily news (https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/3-daily-news/)
-   -   Cannabis County, California, USA (https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/3-daily-news/11073-cannabis-county-california-usa.html)

NL Seattle Greg 03-01-2013 04:53 PM

Cannabis County, California, USA

Here is a google maps look at the scope of large growing operations in Cannabis County, California, USA. Google Earth Reveals Devastation Caused by Marijuana Growers - YouTube

MJPassion 03-02-2013 03:24 PM

Interesting little tid bit but...

Quote:

In this video, made with hi-res satellite images from Google Earth, Anthony Silvaggio, an environmental sociologist with Humboldt State University's new Institute for Interdisciplinary Marijuana Research, exposes the extent of the devastation wrought on private forest land by industrial-scale grows:
As long as these land is privately held, landowners have the right to use their land as they wish. I don't see any devastation... I see people trying to make a buck using the resources available to them. Humboldt County is one of the least employed in CA by my understanding. Maybe some of those cannabis plants should be replaced with some vegi plants so the growers wont have to purchase food supplies with the money they got from growing cannabis.

This is one area, IMO, where money needs to be removed from the end product... Greedy people grow massive amounts of cannabis so they can BUY what they want. This is not the practice of self sustainability.

The narriator said weed should be legalized but the vid paints a different picture, IMO.

Barnflowers 03-02-2013 05:47 PM

So I guess all the rice paddies in Aisa (the ones that have been there for centuries) must be completely destroying the place! :)

Personally I think the constant stream of container ships is a bit of a bigger issue, but then I'm just some dumb pothead!

Mr Banrflowers

NL Seattle Greg 03-02-2013 06:03 PM

Aloha Barnflowers, California tends to have major problems with droughts that seem to be a common thing. It will be interesting to see if they use water tankers to haul H2O to the tops of the mountains during low rainfall years. Prices went down to $1,000 a pound last year putting a big hurt on the smaller scale Mom & Pop growers who use the money for food.

NL Seattle Greg 03-03-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJPassion (Post 179004)
Interesting little tid bit but...

As long as these land is privately held, landowners have the right to use their land as they wish. I don't see any devastation... I see people trying to make a buck using the resources available to them. Humboldt County is one of the least employed in CA by my understanding. Maybe some of those cannabis plants should be replaced with some vegi plants so the growers wont have to purchase food supplies with the money they got from growing cannabis.

This is one area, IMO, where money needs to be removed from the end product... Greedy people grow massive amounts of cannabis so they can BUY what they want. This is not the practice of self sustainability.

The narriator said weed should be legalized but the vid paints a different picture, IMO.

I think the big issue is going to be with water when the streams in the lowlands run low during low rainfall years. I hear the Oil Baron's are looking forward to fracking California putting water quality for future generations as a low priority.

stonesplitter 03-04-2013 02:12 PM

COmplex issues there, mostly due to growers trying to compete and survive under prohobition. Low prices mentioned , this will have an impact and is a reality now the more people grow. Water issues, land issues., the environment is sensitive to man made changes whether it be pot growing or other. It is sick the way pot growing is made a scapegoat in the face of much greater environmental threats that pass unnoticed. Fracking is mentioned. Water supply will be damaged but the biggest threat with fracking is that it releases methane from the earth which is a much deadlier greenhouse gas than co2 but we never hear about it.. in most areas legal pot growing would give greater and safer economic benefits than fracking ever will!! And the only methane released will be the hash farts of contented potheads!:D

Fated 03-04-2013 05:52 PM

dont forget factory farms.

There are more crops than cannabis. And growing for the other crops changes the land scape similarly. Also waste from the development and care of the fauna.

It would be nice to see a world where people were living in such a way as to generate and recycle/re-use most/all of what they consume. Homes with roof top aquaponic gardens generating fish and food. Something like 0.55 acres per person of median productive farm land in an average year, and between twice and four times as productive when going hydro/aquaponics.

recycled water and rain catches. proper technology and water demand for real world Need and Usage with Conservation Technology research. where each home or sub-station may operate independant, but may/can also still be connected to networking source to proper take or share as needed/taxed as with energy.

wind mills and solar panels wood/smoke (gassifier/diesel/gas generators/heaters. tankless water heaters. proper insulation.

cars and homes with interchangeable batteries and chargers with diesel as hybrid back-up.

We should All look at how we are living, and try to adjust for a better long term sustainable future. educating kids on how to survive not in a push button computer world, but a real life i need to know how to feed myself kind of world.

MJPassion 03-06-2013 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonesplitter (Post 179066)
It is sick the way pot growing is made a scapegoat in the face of much greater environmental threats that pass unnoticed.

I really cant stand the way werhauser, or how ever it's spelled, clear cuts huge amounts of public land forest in the Pacific North West.

Fracking is the big thing for gas and oil these days. My well water smells like sulfur so we get it piped in. I wouldn't put the well water on the garden.

stonesplitter 03-22-2013 11:34 PM

Thanks MJPassion, You mention fracking, they're doing it everywhere now. Nasty business, like you say, ruins groundwater and the biggest damage it does is rarely mentioned: It releases tons of methane. THe absolute worst greenhouse gas. Far worse than co2. CLearcutting like you say by Weyerhauser et al all adds up to alot more damage than even the most chemical reliant weed grow ops..as many have pointed out even industrial fibre hemp produces more fibre per acre than trees and can do it annually!! It is also a well know fact that cannabis absorbs toxins from the ground(don't smoke this stuff )and has been used to clean up toxic sites.