View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 09:32 AM

After/during harvest I remove all fan leafs without resin --> the "non sugar" leafs.

Then I hang the plant, completely, no further chopping up, upside down on clotheslines, sometimes I use coat hangers for this (and have seen others online using trellis netting to hang even more bud in an even tighter space).

After 7-14 days of hang drying (I bend the side branching in between, when it starts to feel more like a crack than a bend, I feel it is ready for the next step).

I then take the whole plants off the clothesline, chop it up on a trimming screen into manageable buds. I then trim the buds.

I have been using food-grade plastic containers for my cure which many people say I shouldn't, since it's plastic. Most people say you should use glass.
I like the plastic containers, since they are light-proof as well and seal decently well. And I bought a hell of a lot of them because I wanted to be able to have a jar for each pheno so I can later discern and pheno hunt when I smoke test them.
There are pros and cons ...

I have moved over to simply adding a Boveda 65% pack in each plastic jar and only "burp" the jars once in a while, not religiously once or twice a day during the first few days etc. etc.

Since I grow organic, I usually start smoking as soon as the hang dry is complete.
In terms of smoothness etc. I notice only subtle differences with an ongoing cure. Because of the organic growing, you can basically smoke them straight off the plant and it is absolutely fine, not harsh or anything.

I have however noticed a noticeable uptick in potency/strength and particularly flavor/odor with a prolonged cure.
Although flavors/odors also seem to change back and forth sometimes. I had a MKS pheno that smelled amazing, like a certain type of candy, during flower. After the hang dry the smell was basically gone or very faint. After a few weeks in the jar, it kept changing and becoming fainter until it was almost not noticeable anymore.
Then after about a month or two in the jars, it returned and was stronger than before... go figure

I then smoke it up over the next half a year or so, sometimes taking notes and one by one eliminating all but my favorite phenos.

Ideally I end up with 1 or 2 females out of the bunch and train their plants as mums.

I should also mention that I have a bunch of scissors during trimming and usually swap them until the end of a trim session where I scrape of the scissor hash and submerge the blades in isopropyl alcohol to clean for next session.
That scissor hash is not bad indeed.

I also leave the trimming screens where they are until I am done trimming completely for this harvest and then claim the kief that fell through the screens. I have a two screen set up and usually use a credit card on each screen to collect/push through the kief and what comes through the bottom screen is pretty fine stuff. Just makes me cough a bunch but nice and potent and tasty. But it is mixed from all phenos as well ...

Anyway, the trim is also not divided by phenotype but just collected in tupper ware containers and thrown into the freezer. I later make bubble hash and/or canna butter out of it. It's usually very little bubble hash but quite a lot of canna butter. Not sure I will make bubble hash much more.
Not a big hash head and the process is quite labor intensive and takes some time as well. All the cleaning is annoying ... and in the end there is so little bubble hash ... But it's fine stuff.
I have always microplaned my bubble hash after freezing the wet pucks of hash after extraction. After microplaning, it wicks reall fast on some cardboard, a day or two tops and then is ready for consumption.
I never pressed my hash into a ball or anything, I always "harvested" it from the cardboard with a credit card or something into small plastic containers and then used it like kief. Basically crumbled up, powder like in the end. Just sprinkle it on top of tobacco or a joint and bam, supercharged

Rarely smoked it on its own. Its too gooey for the volcano and with some tobacco in a joint ... meh, prefer flowers.
So usually I end up giving the bubble hash away to some hash heads (who love it, since they don't have to pay for it, otherwise I am sure they would look at it differently lol) and only ever complain about it running out too fast...