Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS Forums > 2. Introducing yourself...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2018, 04:03 AM

Default 'lo there

I'm a crotchety old fart that has been growing since the 60's.
Was a member here a long arse time ago and forgot my login name (heh).

I met Scott/Shanti once but was so blasted I kept thinking he was south African and for some reason called him "Scooter".
Hey, it was exceptional wax ok ?

Used to be good friends with Breeder Steve but he kinda fell off the planet, heard he was in south America now ?!?
Dunno, but I'd like to burn a few with him again. Always liked him.

Eh.
I grow inside and out, mostly sativas. Still have a few old strains laying about (Columbian lowland black, a few thais, original Christmas tree haze, etc).
Yes I have a decades old squabble with Sam the Skunkman....no I won't elaborate much on that one.

Anyways, just hangin and smoking some "Tom Hill Haze" that I got from a Colorado dispensary (no I don't live there) and this is boring weed. No taste, no high, seriously. I don't blame Tom, I blame the newb grower.

Don't know what else to say...
I am planning on doing another serious run here real soon.
4-600 plants if I can swing it, we'll see.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:33 AM

welcome back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2ishun View Post
I am planning on doing another serious run here real soon.
4-600 plants if I can swing it, we'll see.
sounds good... all the best for yuor work
Old 10-31-2018, 11:09 PM

Hey there Intuition, welcome to the board! Sorry about my misspelling, hope you dont mind.

I look forward to getting to know you and hearing some of your stories. Sounds like you've probably got some

I live in Colorado and after they started selling weed in stores I was elated to find that I really was growing great weed. At least by comparison to that crap. Haha.

I can't wait to see your 400 plant run! That's gonna be a treat.

Anyway, welcome again, have a great time!

Stay Hazed,
Jake
Old 11-01-2018, 06:16 AM

Welcome. Anyone feuding with Dave Watson is welcome in my book. I have had several debates with him myself. I am also an old time grower from NorCal. I started growing back in 1972. I still have a lot of those old strains in the freezer here, mostly sativas. 'Lumbo gold, Oaxacan, Maui, Durban, skinny stick Thai, Zac Purple, Malana Cream, VN black, Bekaa Valley Lebanese, African Black Magic, NorCal skunk & Cali-O, Kerala ganja, and 50 some-odd others. I have a permit to grow legally here. So grow I do. I never thought that weed would ever become legal in either of my home states of Oregon and California. But happen it did, and in both!

Last edited by Big Sur; 11-01-2018 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:19 PM

Hey Big Sur:

Did you ever get a chance to smoke the original Haze way back, say early-mid 70's ?
Old 11-01-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2ishun View Post
Hey Big Sur:

Did you ever get a chance to smoke the original Haze way back, say early-mid 70's ?
IMHO and experience, there was no Haze back in the 1970s, or in the 1960s as Watson claims. There were no Haze Bros. or Sacred Seed Co. in Corrolitos either. All a made up for High Times stories and to fool people in Holland by Watson to sell his seeds. No internet then to corroborate anything. I was in Corrolitos in the early 1980s growing orchids in greenhouses with my orchid mentor that had worked for Rod McClellan in South SF. I was in and out of Browns Valley and Green Valley Roads on my motorcycle pretty much every week. I also had a lot of friends and family in small local places around there like Moss Landing, Aromas, Watsonville, Los Lomas, Prunedale, Freedom, Aptos, Gilroy, etc. No one I knew there then or now heard of any Haze weed strain or any Haze Bros. Purple Haze LSD, yes. And the guy that made that batch of purple LSD hated the name Purple Haze that was brewed for Monterey. Haze was brought into the Santa Cruz area later via Holland, IMO.

Since then I have searched in Santa Cruz and Salinas for anything on Sacred Seeds. It never existed as a company, and there was no bust there as claimed. All the Sacred Seed stuff posted in High times was made up retro stuff. Nothing exists in any local publications about any big bust or Sacred Seeds in 1985 or 1986 as claimed. Nor are there any records of Watson being busted by any local police agency. Nor did I hear of anything like that when I was there. I lived in the Monterey Bay area from 1966 to 1986, then in Los Gatos (east side of the Santa Cruz Mountains) from 1993 to 2003. If anything, Haze may have been bred on a small scale in the early 1980s (if at all) in some greenhouse there in the south Santa Cruz or north Monterey County from bag seed as claimed. Certainly no weed named Haze sold locally for $300 an oz in the 1970s as claimed, and no one I knew heard of Haze around there back in the day. Ganja and hash sold by the gram then, and Thai by the stick. That was the most expensive stuff. I was buying pounds of the best loose top Guerrero weed for $300 in 1975.

What happened in Holland I do not know. From what I can gather, Watson simply gathered up locally available seeds from NorCal and took them to Holland with him and sold them all a story. Before I was banned from IcRag, Watson told me that he smoked Big Sur Holy in 1969 and that it was bunk, and all he smoked then was Haze which was better. Problem with that story is that it pushes Haze breeding back to the mid 1960s. Also in that time, NO ONE had a constant stash of anything year round. There were always dry periods. Also local grown weed was not very common, as claimed. Sure a lot of grew it, but it was not that great. Mostly landrace from bag seed and a lot of it was Colombian that finished way too late to grow in NroCal. No one knew how to grow sinsemillia let alone breed different strains of weed. I turned the band Crazy Horse onto some local Carmel Valley sinsemilla that a Mexican friend grew from my seed collection, and that was the BEST weed they had ever smoked to date. That was in 1978 or 1979. They had access to every type of weed in existence then. So did a lot of us there and then, actually. Weed was also so cheap and plentiful there then that no one had to grow it. It took the disruption of the SW Mexican weed supply by the DEA with Paraquat in the late 1970s to get people growing local weed on a larger scale.

Last edited by Big Sur; 11-01-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:21 PM

Yea, I was in Cali back in those days too.
I had quite a few friends, and myself. that grew.

The name actually came after a couple joints went around and one of the guys said "that shit will put you in a haze for days".
Presto, it stuck.
This was in the Willits area although at the time I living up in the Red Bluff area.
I'm thinking good 'ol Scam The Skankman heard it from someone and just stuck it to some beans he ganked.
Of course he didn't have the real strain and ...well...you know enough about him to guess the rest.

To best describe the original (I kinda suck at the whole nuances thing) it would be to imagine a crystal clear day at 9000 ft. elevation.
2 foot of snow on the ground, fresh powder.
It's cold, say 20*f and the pine trees are heavily scenting the air.
Someone next to you starts crushing huge wads of fresh green pine needles.

That's about how it tasted and smelled.
Light green buds covered in frost kinda went with the whole snowy pine forest and high elevation thing.
It was truly sublime herb.

The grower and breeders name was Ben (won't go into last name, although he has passed and security is a non issue now) I called him Ben-Jammin once Bob Marley came into presence and that nick stuck with him till the day he died.
Yea, there was a Haze, but there were no brothers, and Sam never saw the real stuff.
Although he did rat out a few of my buddies, or was otherwise directly involved in their being prosecuted.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:59 AM

I never heard of a Mendo Co. connection to Haze. New one for me, but it would make sense. I have a bunch of Uncle Fester skunk beans from Humboldt, late 70s vintage. Watson may have gotten his skunks from him. I still have friends in Redwood Valley (they just missed getting burned out last summer), and in Gualalalala/Anchor Bay. Most people that I knew in Big Sur and Monterey are now gone or moved away from there. All the real grow action moved north from Big Sur and the Santa Cruz area in the 1980s, save for some smaller growers/breeders.

As for Haze, that sounds like the stuff I was getting from Mexico in the late 1970s. Frosty bright green sinsemilla buds. Excellent highs. Cheap too, $60 or so an oz with a few seeds. I saved all those seeds. That was after paraquat destroyed the SW Mexico harvests and the hippies moved inland and invested in grows in Morelos and Jalisco for a few years until about 1981. After that they gave up growing in Mexico and ramped up in NorCal. The cartels took over growing in Mexico and to the northern states down there. The late 70s were the best years for weed in NorCal. Lots of Lebby red hash was around, along with the good sinsemilla from Morelos, gobs of cheap seedy Colombian was available, Thai sticks were still around, hash oil became more common, and the new era of NorCal grown local weed like skunk, purple and red hair hit the market. It was all cheap until about 1980. Then it became 'lawyer weed' due to High Times posting regional prices, and people showed up with suitcases full of money from NYC. I detest HT for doing that. Speaking of which, several here and on other forums have said that the Haze Bros. were dealers out of New Jersey selling Haze in NYC. I dunno. I was never involved with the east coast scene. I have lived most of my life up and down the west coast, from BC to BC.

BTW: you can call sam the skunkman David Watson here. We know who he is. AKA: Jingles (his nickname in Santa Cruz), Selgnij (his byline on High Times), Sammy the Skunk, Sam the Skunkman, Sam Selezny, Dr Frankenbeanstein, Founder of HortaPharm BV, or The DEA Rat of Amsterdam. All names for David Paul Watson. He told me once that he has several TONS of seeds. I dunno how or where he stores them. In a DEA safe house in Europe?
Old 11-03-2018, 01:56 PM

Are you sure Dave Watson is his real name ?
He has an affinity for names, I doubt that's his real one.

Yea I smoked some of that coastal highland Mex you're thinking of.
Not even in the same class.

I definitely agree with the late 70's up till maybe 82 or so being the best years for herb.

Did you guys ever get any of the large "Buddah stick" thai ?
They were easily 1/4 oz each and sometimes closer to 1/2 oz. Much fatter than the common skinny sticks.
We also had a great hook up with honey oil, we were getting it by the litre.
Pristine clear, actually did look like honey.

Yea, blond leb. red leb, black hash that was called "primo" back in those days (translates to "uncle" ??).

Don't even get me started on the pearlescent Peruvian flake, the sheets of blotter and liquid L25, gawd those were the days.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:47 PM

Primo also means first.