Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS Forums > 2. Introducing yourself...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2018, 12:54 AM

Efesto:
Thanks.
I figured it to be some sort of Italian but I have little experience with the language.
It makes perfect sense in that it was certainly some of the best hash I've ever had, right up there with the gray Nepalese stuff that used to go around.

I agree on the current *haze* strains.
Everyone says it's "spicy" but all I get is a metallic taste and not much high from it.

Spicy to me was the old school Santa Marta Columbian Gold.
VERY distinct flavor and that cumin/pepper spice underlying it all.
I loved me those big cow patty looking buds and we went thru hundreds of pounds of it in about 75-79.
I still have a bunch of the beans that are viable, but I've never been able to replicate the taste or the gold color of it (yellow is probably more accurate).
It always comes out with a grapefruit taste and a light green color. Great smoke, don't get me wrong, but the original growers had some tricks I don't know about.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2ishun View Post

Back to Douche the Skankman.
You guys don't think he can fake a name and list a company under it ?
Mmmmk.
He has been ratted out by so many now that I believe it is all boiled down to his really being Dave Watson. He was fuming or a long time after someone disclosed that he was the author Selgnij in the early High Times mags, the reverse of Jingles, his nickname in Santa Cruz. I have yet to find any bona fide photos of him. He claims to have been everywhere, including in Afghanistan during the huge drought there, yet he makes no mention of the drought. His lack of details about his adventures tipped me off pretty early. IMO, he is a pathological liar. I have met several of them in my years. He is so entangled in his own myth and greatness that he has fallen flat on the details and constantly contradicts himself. He takes stories that others tell him and adds them to his life. And then there are the many outright lies. Like breeding Cali-O and skunk. Lately he claims to have collected seeds personally in Mexico, South Africa, Thailand, Colombia, as well as saying before that he collected seeds in India and Afghanistan. And so the legend grows... of the international man of mystery.

I do not think he is worth all the discussion any more, really. Other than to point out that he is a rat and a liar. The contradictions and proof otherwise of his claims shows that he is a consummate liar. It is obvious that his seed 'selecting' and 'master breeding' just came from bag weed. Yet he claims to have bred all these strains in California and Holland. He also claims to have gone to meet growers in person all over the world, like Arjan has to some extent, or like Jerry Kamstra did. More likely he just read Jerry's book, Weed in 1973 and added Arjan's videos to his personal experiences. IME, Mexico was extremely difficult to meet growers, as weed was even more illegal in Mexico than it ever was here. And meeting cartel growers and selecting seeds from those plants in Colombia? Never happened. He would be dead. But the legend grows, and more and more BS is posted on the web about his greatness. Ooooh la la!

Last edited by Big Sur; 11-07-2018 at 01:56 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2ishun View Post
Efesto:
Thanks.
I figured it to be some sort of Italian but I have little experience with the language.
It makes perfect sense in that it was certainly some of the best hash I've ever had, right up there with the gray Nepalese stuff that used to go around.

I agree on the current *haze* strains.
Everyone says it's "spicy" but all I get is a metallic taste and not much high from it.

Spicy to me was the old school Santa Marta Columbian Gold.
VERY distinct flavor and that cumin/pepper spice underlying it all.
I loved me those big cow patty looking buds and we went thru hundreds of pounds of it in about 75-79.
I still have a bunch of the beans that are viable, but I've never been able to replicate the taste or the gold color of it (yellow is probably more accurate).
It always comes out with a grapefruit taste and a light green color. Great smoke, don't get me wrong, but the original growers had some tricks I don't know about.
No tricks. Just different growing climate and harvesting/curing methods. I have done the same growing Colombian gold beans, but I got the gold color growing along the coast in NorCal. But I also got the grapefruit finish. Here I get more of a lemon finish and green plants. Growing clones from the same plants here in the Cascade foothills as my brother does in the Tualatin Valley, they taste different and have a different buzz factor. He gets more heat and higher night temps than I do. I get more terps and less intense highs, he gets stronger weed with a milder taste. More heat, more terps waft off. Different growing temps and humidity, and you get different terp profiles from the same exact strains. Also drying in the sun and curing in hotter temps and more of the lighter mono terps waft off leaving different tastes. I grew the best weed in Southern Oregon. Hotter days than here and cool nights like I have here. Humidity was lower there in my curing rooms. That makes a world of difference and I got stronger and better terpenes there than growing anywhere else. The taste was locked in my weed grown there for over 3 years as well. More myrcene and pinene and less limonene growing there than here. Same strains. Same seeds. Some are the same exact clones.

Last edited by Big Sur; 11-07-2018 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:59 AM

Dunno if yours looks like this or not.
This is classic for the ones I grow. Most people say not a sativa, but look towards the tips and the leaves get super skinny. Real tough to do indoors, I've had 12-15 footers outside.
The yield per sqft makes it worthwhile

Old 11-08-2018, 04:55 AM

Looks like a friend of mine's Colombian gold plant that he grew in North Monterey County. He let it go all the way through January indoors but in a large window with lots of sun. The last one that I grew I had to let go in November when the freezing weather came and the GH could not protect them any longer. They had small 3 inch buds mostly. I always pinch my plants for more smaller colas and more overall weight.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:21 AM

nice plant N2ishun. huge main cola. that's something you can cuddle up with at night. looks like it yields like a mofo too. have you been breeding it?
Old 11-10-2018, 02:41 PM

When you have a pure strain that needs nothing, why would you cross it?

I keep the genetics pure. I do not female it with colloidal. I do not auto it with ruderalis. I do not cross it with the wonder strain of the week (weak?).
It has been inbred only for the last few decades and will continue to be so.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:24 PM

I think that Canna means do you breed it IBL, which you apparently do.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:06 PM

Yeah that's right, I was curious if you had been maintaining the line pure. That's awesome you've been breeding it for so long. I used to think everything would be better crossed and hybridized and improved. But now I understand how the pure sativas need to be kept that way. And especially now as they are quickly diminishing with globalization. And Arjan.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:58 AM

I got the strain from its source in barranquilla Columbia (long story).

I only make fresh seeds every 5 years or so, I have a way of suspending a airtight container in a cube of water which I freeze and keep frozen.
It's not science rocketeering or anything...
Just that back in the late 70s i kept hearing about all these discovered plants and animals frozen since prehistoric times....
If something works, use it.