Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS Forums > 2. Introducing yourself...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2018, 01:49 AM

Welcome N2. Thereís some experienced heads in this thread. Iím listening👀.
Have yíall heard of three lion hash? I think it was leb.
Iíve heard of zero zero from Morocco. Tio is uncle, primo is a cousin.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2ishun View Post
Are you sure Dave Watson is his real name ?
He has an affinity for names, I doubt that's his real one.

Yea I smoked some of that coastal highland Mex you're thinking of.
Not even in the same class.

I definitely agree with the late 70's up till maybe 82 or so being the best years for herb.

Did you guys ever get any of the large "Buddah stick" thai ?
They were easily 1/4 oz each and sometimes closer to 1/2 oz. Much fatter than the common skinny sticks.
We also had a great hook up with honey oil, we were getting it by the litre.
Pristine clear, actually did look like honey.

Yea, blond leb. red leb, black hash that was called "primo" back in those days (translates to "uncle" ??).

Don't even get me started on the pearlescent Peruvian flake, the sheets of blotter and liquid L25, gawd those were the days.
Yeah, he is David Paul Watson. Official name he uses on HortaPharm P.V. in Holland and later on GW Pharmaceuticals' medical cannabinoid patents. His legit side. BIG money there. He cannot fool the NASDAQ exchange and the EU.

Coastal highland Mex? Morelos is not on the coast. Its landlocked in the central plateau south of Mexico City. THE best manicured weed I have ever seen, to date, including all this legal stuff. Perfectly round light green buds that glistened. Never seen anything close to it before or since. That was in '77 or '78. As series of primo cheap weed came in from Morelos. I sent some to my brother on Maui, and NO ONE in Lahaina believed it was from the mainland. No one. He gave up telling them the truth and said it was from his brother on Kauai.

Yeah, we got the fat cigar size Thai sticks later on, about 1981 or 1982. They came in about when the Mexican Peso collapsed as I recall. Many said that they were dipped in opium, but they were not. I have smoked a LOT of top quality opium. They were dipped in hash oil if anything. I did not like those later fat Thai sticks. They just put me to sleep. I preferred the skinny Thai sticks that I bought by the oz or quarter elbow. They were good. I like upper sativas though, like Durban. I love Durban. I grew a shyte load of Durban this year from some back crosses with landraces to bring out the best. I nailed it. I also grow Lebanese and make my own Lebby hash here from it now. Its a dream come true. Bekaa Valley's best from the PNW.

Ah yes, liquid sunshine, abalone flake, refined red opium, amyl nitrate, Mr Natural, mescaline, and shrooms, oh my! Yes, the 70s. Not to mention the Days on the Green, Deadhead concerts, loose women, Big Sur Folk Festivals, Monterey Pop, the Who-Dead concert, the Barn at Mission Ranch, The Old Sash Mill with Niel and CrazyHorse, The River Inn concerts, and Full Moon parties at Nepenthe, The Haight, Telegraph Ave in Berzerkeley (my hangout in the mid 1970s), cheap gas and muscle cars (I had a 1967 Mustang with a 289 Shelby package), cheap cigarettes (25 cents a pack at the PX, now they are what, $6 a pack!!!). Cheap rent there then too. I cannot afford to go back to NorCal now. Not the same there now anyway.

Last edited by Big Sur; 11-04-2018 at 03:28 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:59 AM

Primo in terms of weed comes from a beer brand in Hawaii. As in Primo Beer. It is also a shortened form of the word premium, which is what the beer name was intended to imply, meaning the best of the best. Primo beer was also one of Hawaii's first beers brewed and labeled. Primo beer is owned by Pabst now, and made in Los Angeles. Schlitz moved production of Primo beer from Oahu to LA back on the late 1970s.

I was living in Mexico south of Puerto Vallarta in a small fishing village called Yelapa in the winter of... shit, 1979 I think it was. Tehreabouts anyway. I was crashed with newly met friends from SF at La Casa Cynthia there, a round African style home right on the water. Was a dude there in the village named Primo Joe, who wore nothing but Primo beer t-shirts and ran around in a small boat all the time there. There were no roads in or to Yelapa at that time, and the only way to get around was by boat or on foot. So Primo Joe comes by the house one evening and gets stoned on my Lebanese hashish after dinner. Then he wanders off on foot to party someplace else, leaving his boat on the rocks at low tide. Later that night the tide came in, and I could hear the boat motor grinding away on the rocks being thrashed by the waves. So I got up and tipped the motor up and hauled his boat up onto the landing above the water. I thought nothing of it, I was raised around boats by the ocean. Anyway, the next day the landlady comes by and asks about the boat, and I tell her what happened, leaving out the part about the hashish. Again, I thought nothing of it. So then the next day after that Primo Joe comes by to get his boat, and he gives me a huge hug and rants on about how I saved his ass from despair and destruction and all. His Mexican wife was with him, hauling this HUGE thing of red bananas. It was an entire cluster of bananas cut from one of his trees on his banana plantation near there. I was a hero for doing virtually nothing. And did we ever eat a shit load of bananas. I had made a deal in exchange for living there. I was a chef in Monterey at that time, between jobs. The people renting the house said I could stay with them if I cooked dinner 6 nights a week. On Sundays the church had a dinner for 25 cents that was all you can eat Mexican food. So I had Sundays off. Anyway, they wanted American food for dinner. Easy enough for me to do. There was no electricity in Yelapa, but we had a propane refrigerator and food was easy to get locally and in PV. Ahhhhh, those were the days. I had quit my job as chef at a restaurant and went to Mexico for several months, traipsing around with my brother and his then future ex-wife on trains and buses, and when I got back, the chef that they had replaced me with had quit, so I got my old job back. And the parties continued on.

Red bananas are really good, BTW. They are not the Cavendish which are the only bananas sold here in stores and all from one single clone and expected to become extinct, like its predecessor the Gros Michel, which used to be ~the~ banana in stores here. Panama disease wiped them all out, like it will soon wipe all the Cavendish banana trees out. There are so many bananas and plantains, yet they only sell one? Marketing insanity for you.

Last edited by Big Sur; 11-04-2018 at 04:15 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:40 PM

Welcome, n2ishun, it's great to have you here! Haze and early weed lore amongst dudes who were in California weed scene in the 60s/70s - I love it! I started smoking in '73, growing in '74, then took a hiatus until I could do so legally two years ago. But my early weed days were in New Jersey and Texas, and while I enjoyed some great weed, I never experienced the variety that you lucky bastards in Cali did. And as someone who is fascinated by the history of weed, I really enjoy watching you compare notes.

Regarding haze lore, I'd like to know what RC Clarke says about it, as he was right there at UC Santa Cruz. I'd also like to ask "R" about the haze brothers he supposedly partied with. I always thought what Nevil wrote about the haze seeds he got was interesting, that the oldest packets were dated 1969.

Assuming a 1969 timeframe for the earliest batch of haze seeds that Nevil got from David Watson, my guess is they originated with seeds collected by BOEL surfers in the mid 1960s that were grown and selected and crossed for a couple years in California, or Hawaii, or even Mexico or Costa Rica. Because all weed was seeded then, selection was easy: you just saved and grew out the seeds from the batches that got you the highest. How Watson came to acquire those seeds we'll probably never know. I think Watson had/has some sort of BOEL connection. It all fits. He's from SoCal at the time the BOEL was developing a weed smuggling and distribution network, he was on the hash trail when it was blazed by BOEL, the use of security precautions involving aliases, the lack of pictures, all were BOEL SOP. Seems to me he's a braggart who has some very interesting stories to tell, but it would be impossible to discern the truth from the self-serving fiction.

Please, carry on.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_in_the_Darkus View Post
Seems to me he's a braggart who has some very interesting stories to tell, but it would be impossible to discern the truth from the self-serving fiction
Unfortunately, this sums up a good percentage of the people working back then that have survived until now. VERY hard to separate the lore, the plants, the intentional misrepresentations and the accidental ones as well. Combine with imperfect memories (Mine as much as anyone), safety issues, etc... It's ALL suspect EXCEPT the weed.

Sam/Dave is whatever he is. I don't hate him, but I am not sending him shit either. I don't think any SIDE has told the complete truth. Someone walked, someone got paid, someone (many probably) lied to save their bacon. Just because Sam lied doesn't mean anyone else was truthful. They were ALL felons trying to pass as average citizens. Was Sam a rat? I don't know. Likely, you don't either. For most of us, the tales are at least third hand. I HAVE had Sam badgering me at ICM to side with him. Fark that. I don't know, and I CAN'T know with any certainty at this point.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:50 AM

OK first.
BOEL. The brotherhood of eternal love.
NOT from Newport beach Ca. They lived just off Laguna Canyon Rd. in Laguna Beach. I could show you exactly where they hung out.
It was super remote back in those days but is now a main highway with massive traffic at all hours.
I still remember some of them getting busted back at the time for attempting to pour a few gallons of acid (LSD) in a drinking water reservoir.
I do honestly think every human being should once in their lifetime take a high quality hit of acid, 1 to show them how dumb they've been all their life, and 2, to mellow them the F out.
But I absolutely disagree with what is essentially poisoning them against their free will. Choice must always be available.

I honestly doubt the brotherhood imported 1/10th of what was assumed.
There were so very many smugglers in those days.
Hell, what about Howard ? You all know he moved huge amounts, right ?

Newport beach has a huge harbor/marina, that's why there have always been lots of drugs in SoCal.
Los Angeles has one, San Fran, Miami, Portland, Seattle, San Diego.
Hmm, strange how those cities are all known as being huge into the drug scene eh ? Doesn't take a huge amount of creativity.
Now you ask why not the NE US? Boston, NY, Chesapeake bay, etc ?
Winter, that's why. Harvest is in autumn, so winter is delivery time and you can't easily sail into snow and ice.

Nobody mentioned "disco biscuits" ....hmm?
Methaqualone also known as Quaaludes.
Good times

We called them pink bananas....but close enough for hand grenades right ?
Smaller and sweeter...and make a helluva daiquiri or an unconventional pina colada
I am familiar about the banana tree issues and do hope there is a solution.

Punta Cabras Mx. is an old surfing locale for me. Yes I surfed back in the day, before epoxy wonder boards and lofty attitudes that go with them.
Surfing is for enjoyment, not the aggression of competition. Just my take on it.

Yea primo really does mean uncle (in common espanol) or cousin in the books that are always a bit off in translation.
In latin there is "premio" or "primus" meaning first or top.
I honestly know they don't call a middle eastern hashish by a Hawaiian beers name.
Perhaps it was imported thru Italy, they still use some bits of latin in their lingo. That's really the only angle that makes solid sense.
Much easier to see some knuckle dragging smuggler bastardising premio into primo.

I've been to tons of concerts that I really don't remember so very much about.
The best had to have been CalJam 1 at the old Ontario motor speedway.
Original Black Sabbath, Original Deep purple, Fleetwood Mac before the girls, Emerson Lake and Palmer, etc.
The 2nd ?
The ARMS concert (Ronny Lanes appeal for muscular sclerosis) although it was later in the 80's.
Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jan Hammer, Joe Cocker, etc etc etc all on stage at the same time?
F yeah!
Yea I've seen Zepplin, The Who, The Stones, Pink Floyd....but they really never stood out (well, ok...Axl Rose running the track at the coliseum in assless chaps getting chased down by a shitload of horny chicks....I remember that one). I think that one was the "Peace Sunday"concert.
Went to see Bowie because Stevie Ray Vaughn was supposed to be there (serious moonlight tour), paid big bucks for the good seats up front, stayed missionary sober hoping to pick up a few guitar riffs (yea I play, and not too bad either).
Last minute an announcer comes on and says no SRV tonight Earl Slick would be replacing him (some studio musician that sucked). Found out later Bowie only wanted to pay SRV $500 for the night.
I would'a taken a piss too....F that.
That one sticks like glue in my head.

Wait, where was I ?

Oh yea.
If those alleged "Haze" beans were obtained in 69 that's not right.
Figure a breeding project takes at least 3 years, so 1966'ish ?
Nah, that's too early. Not much good weed was available till 68-69 and that was very limited. It was pretty much all Mexican'ish in those days and they didn't have it together yet (Acapulco, panama, some michoacan and maybe guerrero, probably too early for oaxacan)

side note, say it with me.
Me-Cho-Ah-Con
I hate when people mispronounce that one, also Oaxaca is Oh-Ha-Ca if that helps.

So, going back.
I'd say at the earliest it would be 1971-72 for any real worked strain to make it to the Netherlands.
Just my opinion...but I don't think I'm off by much if at all.
Think about it.
1969 was the summer of love and Woodstock happened and it was a new thing for everyone.....that's when it started to get going, it wasn't going before then. They may have had acid at Woodstock, but they didn't know how much to take in those days, it was all experimental.
(don't take the brown acid man)
In the mid 70's we all figured out 100 mikes (micrograms) was good for a hit. Windowpane, Sunshine, Blue Owsley, Purple Haze....those were all after Woodstock.
Another BTW.
It's Stan Owsley, or Bear Owsley.
It's not Owsley Stanley...he hated that name.
Yes he was the soundman for the Grateful Dead....but he was a helluva biochemist.

Back to Douche the Skankman.
You guys don't think he can fake a name and list a company under it ?
Mmmmk.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2ishun View Post
Yea primo really does mean uncle (in common espanol) or cousin in the books that are always a bit off in translation.
In latin there is "premio" or "primus" meaning first or top.
I honestly know they don't call a middle eastern hashish by a Hawaiian beers name.
Perhaps it was imported thru Italy, they still use some bits of latin in their lingo. That's really the only angle that makes solid sense.
Much easier to see some knuckle dragging smuggler bastardising premio into primo.
In Europe with the term, primo/a (italian) or more commonly primero (spanish), which literally means first, is indicated a hashish obtained from the first sieving, or in more general terme a first choice hashish

Last edited by Efesto; 11-07-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:19 PM

Thank you. lol

I should have said in Italian.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:15 AM

FYI: BOEL was not that big in the NorCal areas. They were mostly in SoCal. I never heard of anything BOEL except once in Berzerkley before I went to LA for a while in the late 1970s (had a GF in Redondo/the 'other' South Bay in CA). I never saw any BOEL wrappers or interacted directly with any BOEL people. They were out of Laguna Beach mostly, south of LA. I did not get down there much until after 1986 when I moved to Sandy Eggo.

David Watson (DW) was from NorCal, not SoCal. At least in 1969 he was in the Santa Cruz area. To be exact, it is really central California, but the dividing line for the two Californias in those days was NorCal from SLO Co. and north, and SoCal was Santa Maria (Santa Barbara Co.) and south. Now they are voting on dividing it up into 3 states in a non-political map that is dumber than shyte if you ask me. I would split it in two north and south along the SLO Co. and Santa Barbara Co. lines and east from there. I lived in both for many years. Politically and culturally different places.

DW has stated in various places that Haze was around in 1969, then said it was bred in 1973-75. The later dates are far more likely if the strains used were Colombian x Mexican x Colombian x Thai x ganja. That fits the '73-'75 timeline. But as I have said, I never saw any Haze in the Monterey Bay area in the 1970s. Far more likely it was bred later in the Emerald Triangle or in Holland. I have sampled pretty much everything called Haze or said to be a Haze cross, and they do not really do much for me. Meh...

Last edited by Big Sur; 11-07-2018 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:37 AM

As for ports and entry for weed in Central California there were MANY. Several being the ports of SF, Oakland and Alameda to the north, and Fresno and Stockton inland. Yes, ALL of the coast and Central Valley in California is basically a giant port. Never mind Long Beach and LA and Sandy Eggo. LOTS of weed came up from LA and LB and down from SF Bay Area. Also lots of weed came in from the Central Valley. Also lots came in directly from Mexico into places like Big Sur on trucks. The Big Sur hippies bought local Mexico grows and imported a lot of their own weed direct from Mexico.

Another HUGE source of weed were the many military bases around California. We almost always had a hash pipeline directly from Europe through Ft Ord and the Presidios at Monterey and SF from military stationed in Germany. Lebanese, Afghani and Afghan hash. Also there was the Navy connection through SE Asia, and planes and false bulkheads were typically loaded down with Thai sticks. Navy bases included Sandy Eggo, Long Beach, Monterey and SF/Alameda. I had many friends stationed in VietNam that also sent weed back directly to friends and family stateside though military mail (no customs inspections). Then there was the Hawaii pipeline. Marina just north of Monterey was a large enclave for Hawaiians. We commonly had access to Maui and Kona weed, and on rare occasion, Kona gold hash. I regularly traded Big Sur weed for Maui and Kona with Hawaiian cooks, waiters and dishwashers at the restaurants I worked at on the Monterey Peninsula.

Then of course there was the birth of California home grown in the later 1970s, and weed came in from all over NorCal. Big Sur was my main source, but there was also Carmel Valley, the Santa Cruz Mountains, and later Mendocino and Humboldt weed, and southern Oregon weed. Also Sierra Nevada foothills weed. Then there were other pipelines through friends in Texas and Florida, which were mainly for Colombian "stuff", that being weed and flake. There as also a large Colombian pipeline through LA. I mean, weed poured in from all over. My brother and I would go to our favorite dealer on payday Friday and pick out whatever we wanted from a selection of Thai sticks, Mexican and Colombian weed, hashish and local sinsemilla weed. Then I would hit up other friends for larger amounts of weed to move to cover my expenses and smoking habit. I dealt with bikers, military, friends, co-workers, managers, doctors, lawyers, dock workers, family members, and teachers. Lots of teachers were into weed. We all got high in those days. No one really cared either. We knew who all the narcs were.

My mom once asked my brother and I when we were in her garage smoking a joint: "When is your endless supply of pot ever going to run out?" We looked at each other, and both thought it was a rhetorical question, in that she had answered the question in the question. We had an endless supply of weed, and it would *never* end. And it never did. People came and went, supply lines came and went, some supply lines were shut down, while others opened up. The VienNam war ended and the Thai supply dried up. Paraquat ended the SW Mexican supply. But then more hash came online from Europe and more weed from Colombia. Then local weed growing took off. When local weed tapered off, Mendocino and Humboldt weed started booming. Prices escalated, and that is when I stated growing more myself. I had all those nice seeds from bag weed. I still do, actually.