Thread: Worms as Pets
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Digital

Default Worms as Pets

I wasn't sure where to put this thread because I just realized there is no Organics section on the forum.

Anyways, I just set up a worm bin and was looking to see some other peoples shots of theirs and share advice. This is the 3rd or 4th one of these I've done and they are very simple. I really love worms as pets and friends. Total cost is about $100 (worms are included in that cost), about as much as buying one, but those are for sissies and this one is of better construction and can handle more worms and feed.

I started with 2 pounds of worms from one supplier and 250 from another and they've already adapted and are doing well in the 7 days since I've set it up.

Just like cannabis and most other things in life, the castings that you can buy commercially are far inferior to those that can be produced yourself. Commercially available castings are produced from worms that are fed literal shit/sewer sludge and/or strange feeds that boost their reproduction. The same force that brings us all here applies almost directly to raising worms; making your own that is better than what you can buy. In this case, in order to grow the dankest, you need the dankest nutes, and newsflash it isn't found in a bottle =) And castings aren't just nute, they are soil structure, high CEC, high aeration, high microlife, high water holding capacity. My indoor style of growing revolves around planting shallow in small containers and transplanting and adding castings continually throughout the grow.

I like to use lots of perlite! It helps aerate the mess, gives the worms something to help grind food in their gullet, and gets soaked in worm piss and micro goodness. Wouldn't it be nice if you could buy perlite that was pre-soaked in worm piss and hadn't been sterilized? And I've added ammendments in the past like kelp and dry stuff like Peace of Mind, but I didn't get enough time to play around with that.

This is the system I've come up with, which is pretty damn close to all the ones you read out there:
-3 Plastic Bins with 1 lid
-One spigot with washer and nut
-One roll of screen, finest possible
-One tube of Silicone or similar caulk
-2lb of Red Wrigglers
-One newspaper cut into shreds
-A screw gun and some small bits
-some 2x2's to make the wooden bases

I just set this one up so it is currently only one bin. I like to keep them in just one when they start because that is the most critical time and you should really keep a good eye on them at first (also why I get 2lbs). No holes in it yet but I did put in the spigot, this bin will be the bottom one when it's all setup. Have two identical bins with holes in the bottom that the worms can fit through and lots of smaller holes around the outside and lid that are covered with screen that is held in place with silicone caulk. The air holes are key and should have a screen in place that can stop bugs the size of fruit flies. I've hooked up a PC fan in the past but found that to be a little overkill, passive air is fine. I was just getting ready to build the wooden base that will support the bins. I can show pictures when it's done but it's not hard to imagine a square wooden frame that rests inside the bins and supports the one above it (need 2 of these). Three bin system, one stays on bottom to catch runoff, the two above rotate when harvesting worms/castings.

My daughter loves them to death and wanted to give her new pet friends a kiss. She did it, too! One of the best lessons I'll ever teach her =) "It's called a symbiotic relationship......"

Last edited by Rza; 03-28-2012 at 06:49 PM.