Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 15. Plant doctor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 02:19 PM

Default Adjusting PH in organic nutrients solution

hello fellow,

its a thing im not sure of, i always thought i must adjust the ph of my nutrients solution with chemical acid even with organic nutrients like biobizz or biocanna for example.
now im a bit sceptical about doing this. i emailed biobizz as i use their all mix soil and their nutrients line and they answered this :

Why do you consider to lower the pH? What is the pH of the water after you add the Biobizz nutrients? Is it 7,0 or lower, then just go ahead !
The main reason you need to lower the ph with the chemical fertilizers is to make sure the nutrients, most of the time salt based chemicals can desolved and be absorbed. Biobizz has no chemicals not salts, so it is compatible with the soil and the plant.
Take for instance coco-cola: how do they manage to desolve 23 cubes of sugar in a bottle of cola? If you try it at home, you’ll notice there will be a lot of sugar that does not desolve in the water. But what does coco-cola do? They lower the ph of the water to 2,2 and poof, all the sugar crystals fall apart and you have a sweet liquid without anything floating inside. This is how chemical fertilizers need to work as well. The more NPK they offer in their nutrients, the more pH levelling becomes important.
If you feel or need to lower the pH, use only lemon acid or vinegar, do not use pH- or something, this is everything but organic! The best place to measure the pH is not in the water by the way, but in your substrate. If the pH there is between 6,0-6,5 you are on a perfect and natural level.

what do you think fellows ? im coming to all the organic soil growers and experts of all kinds !

respecfully

Bat
Old 03-03-2011, 02:29 PM

Never adjust the PH with organics and soil mate..

You will damage the beneficial life that is in your soil with the harmful chems in PH up and PH down

Its Nice To Be Important.. But Its More Important To Be Nice..
Old 03-03-2011, 03:46 PM

Talking

Hello Batman,

There is an ideal for everything. You take time to dial in temps, humidity, ventilation, etc. why not take the time to dial in your nutrient solution. A difference in temperature of maybe 5 degrees can be quite significant in the outcome, for instance if a room was always at 85 compared to 90. But pH is on a logarithmic scale so that a difference in one pH unit is 1 x 10^10. This difference is huge; 6.5 to 7.0 having a difference of 5x10^9.

Now dumping pH up or down in the solution used to be my solution, but after listening to members on here, such as Doobz, I started rethinking my approach. I still adjust the pH, but I have plenty of additives, supplements, and nutes that can do this for me; example, I recently fed some Sensi A and B from advanced nutes to my girls and alone this base is too acidic to give to plants, in the low 5s, so I have recently been using Bills perfect fertilizer, from Spray n grow, dropwise to adjust the pH. Not only am I hitting the ideal pH but I am also adding some organic substance to the solution when adjusting it.

I know the main question was with regard to organics, but the principle holds all the same: use supplements and additives you find affect the pH in a way you are after. I will always adjust my pH to the ideal, but will no longer use pH up or down. About the organics thing not having salts in them... trace elements, minerals, micros, whatever... they are all needed by the plant and most have an associated charge, which will act as salts and bond with other substances when given the chance... i.e lock out. Plants take in salts, organic or mineral based, salts carry charge, and can bond with other substances leading to lockout.

By the way, my plants don't look as good as Doobz, but I am certain this is not due to pH . Peace!

Edit: Bacteria like a fairly acidic environment as they use the higher acidity of the external environment to create energy. In fact, Humboldt nutrients suggests brewing their mycomadness at 6.0 for ideal conditions.

Last edited by GreenFever; 03-03-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:01 PM

i'm now doing Hempys (hi Hempy ) using chem ferts. but i was an organic guy for a LONG time. if i needed pH up (yes even in organics plants suffer if the pH is wrong IME) i'd use hardwood ash and if i needed pH down i used vinegar.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:23 PM

thanks a lot all, i think i will adjust the PH with lemon juice henceforth, i will keep my phosphoric acid for the mineral nutrients i use sometime.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:46 AM

Earth Juice manufacture natural PH up and down...

They used to offer a lemon based PH down back in the days...dunno what happened to it.

Otherwise you can also use white vinegar.

Peace.

K.

Peace does not fare well where poverty and deprivation reign. It does not flourish where there is ignorance and a lack of education and information. Repression, injustice and exploitation are inimical with peace. Peace is gravely threatened by inter-group fear and envy and by the unleashing of unrealistic expectations. Racial, class and religious intolerance and prejudice are its mortal enemies.
- Frederik W. de Klerk -

FREE TURKESTAN

Last edited by kashrocks; 03-04-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:36 AM

I currently use Advanced Hydro. of Holland PH down...

It is very concentrated.

Only need to put 0,5 ml in 3l of water to get in the proper range.

I do not believe that such a low quantity can harm the beneficial life in the soil.

Anyway my plants seem to appreciate it.

You have to adjust your PH water otherwise this will eventually change the pH of your medium...which is even more true for soil with organic amendments.

Hope this helps.

Peace.

K.

Peace does not fare well where poverty and deprivation reign. It does not flourish where there is ignorance and a lack of education and information. Repression, injustice and exploitation are inimical with peace. Peace is gravely threatened by inter-group fear and envy and by the unleashing of unrealistic expectations. Racial, class and religious intolerance and prejudice are its mortal enemies.
- Frederik W. de Klerk -

FREE TURKESTAN
Old 03-04-2011, 07:33 AM

hello Kashrocks, thank you for the information and the advice. i agree in the end we need to have the right PH range in the nutrient solution because if not it can change the PH of the soil and that is not good for your favorite plant's health

Bat
Old 03-04-2011, 02:14 PM

It doesn't matter how you are growing, organic, chemical, soil, hydro, PH is important. herb likes it almost neutral, tipped a bit towards acid. 6.3-6.7 is ideal.

Hi Friends,
Check it out:
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/showthread.php?t=5345
The Bonsai Sultan Method: Typological Breeding for the Non Breeder, Beginner, or Pro with Little Space.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuahazen View Post
It doesn't matter how you are growing, organic, chemical, soil, hydro, PH is important. herb likes it almost neutral, tipped a bit towards acid. 6.3-6.7 is ideal.

I agree PH is very important. Those that think they dont need to when using soilless media are being ignorant. PH drift can occur very quickly in soilless media. I say soilless media, because no one is using top soil indoors, or at least they shouldn't be.

Ideally we should strive for 5.8-6.2 for our media. Micronutrient deficiencies can occur even at 6.7, so its still a bit too high Josh.

For anyone that really wants to educate themselves on PH, I strongly suggest buying "Understanding PH Management for container grown crops" by William Argo, and Paul Fisher. It'll cost you about 30-40 bucks, but its really a must have.