Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 15. Plant doctor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 07:46 PM

If your growing in real living organic soil, unless the water is EXTREMELY high or low it won't affect the ph. That being said you can use citirc acid to lower ph. I never check my ph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Rotten View Post
I say soilless media, because no one is using top soil indoors, or at least they shouldn't be.
Yes they should! Lots of people do, I do. Why do you say they shouldn't?

Cheers
ON
Old 03-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuahazen View Post
it doesn't matter how you are growing, organic, chemical, soil, hydro, ph is important. Herb likes it almost neutral, tipped a bit towards acid. 6.3-6.7 is ideal.
well said !
Old 03-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Rotten View Post
I agree PH is very important. Those that think they dont need to when using soilless media are being ignorant. PH drift can occur very quickly in soilless media. I say soilless media, because no one is using top soil indoors, or at least they shouldn't be.

Ideally we should strive for 5.8-6.2 for our media. Micronutrient deficiencies can occur even at 6.7, so its still a bit too high Josh.

For anyone that really wants to educate themselves on PH, I strongly suggest buying "Understanding PH Management for container grown crops" by William Argo, and Paul Fisher. It'll cost you about 30-40 bucks, but its really a must have.
very very well said !
Old 03-05-2011, 02:13 AM

i use Pure Blend Pro and it drops my ph of the nutrients solution to roughly 5.3 so i'va always used earth juices ph up because its natural...i find it hard to imagine not knowing the ph of my nute solutions as i try to ideally hit 6.3 in the soil so i keep the nutes in the same range and never really had problems...i stopped using my ph meter when i figured out the right dosage of earth juices ph up for the amount of pbp...1/2 teaspoon of earthjuice for every 10ml of pbp so roughly 1-1.5 tsp per gallon...if adjusting is worthless than why is it i had ph problems before i bought my meter and got the formula's down in the correct dosages...very interesting topic
I also grow in B'cuzz organic potting soil and before that used FoxFarmOceanForest and both love my 6.3 nute solution

Card carrying medical marijuana patient...any and all cannabis is for PERSONAL medical use!
Old 03-05-2011, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicNinja View Post
If your growing in real living organic soil, unless the water is EXTREMELY high or low it won't affect the ph. That being said you can use citirc acid to lower ph. I never check my ph.

Yes they should! Lots of people do, I do. Why do you say they shouldn't?

Cheers
ON
Ninja, top soil is for outdoor use, and even then I still wouldn't use it. It doesn't have the physical properties for optimum growth. The particle size of topsoil is too small leading to increased water holding capacity, which can easily lead to over-watering, as well as a higher perched water table. Reduced air porosity and more importantly reduced gas diffusion. We want the CO2 respired by our plants roots to freely leave the rootzone, while allowing oxygen in. If the soil is too dense, this will be affected, and plants will suffer.

Anyone thats dead serious about maximizing their yield should study soil properties, as well as how to match their fertilizer with their water source.

Another thing about organic fertilizers is that they tend to raise the ph of your media, so I would even more diligent about controlling ones PH if using these type of fertilizers.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:57 AM
Banned

yup , light airy soil is good , top soil sucks

you need lots of air at the roots as well as your moisture , topsoil will sit wet way way way too long and drown your plants

but i could see useing a mix of top soil and perilite , but then why not just buy a good airy soil/soiless to start with ?
Old 03-05-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0b_b1tch1n View Post
yup , light airy soil is good , top soil sucks

you need lots of air at the roots as well as your moisture , topsoil will sit wet way way way too long and drown your plants

but i could see useing a mix of top soil and perilite , but then why not just buy a good airy soil/soiless to start with ?
Agreed. Anyone thats looking for quality soilless media should look no further than Fafards. They have many different mixes available, and even do custom mixes, but you have to buy alot unfortunately(a pallet).
Old 03-05-2011, 02:55 PM

My bad, just realized this is about adjusting "organic nutrient solution", not organic soil. Sorry for the hijack!

JR - Top soil form a nice fertile spot is great. Good soil is good soil? I don't use just top soil so my soil isn't dense. I'm a natural and organic grower and I create a real living soil. I don't use organic fertilizers other then the odd dose of hydrolyzed fish that I use for brewing compost tea. That's why I said "living organic soil".

Cheers
ON

Last edited by OrganicNinja; 03-05-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:14 PM

Sensi13,

I buy a mother culture of effective microbes (EM) and ferment it to make activated EM (AEM). I use it to soak my soil and sit before planting and between crops (not seedling mix). Aerated Compost tea (ACT) is probably the best way to add a large and diverse amount of microbes. Depending on the food stock used and length of brew they can be more fungal, bacterial, or balanced, and have more/less of specific microbes.

Adding quality food for microbes in the soil mix is important. Sphagnum peat moss is full of biology too, and of course (vermi)compost.

Cheers
ON
Old 03-09-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensimilla13 View Post
Hey Organic Ninja! Thanks for the info . I'm interested in the outcome of the final product after feeding different nutrient sources. It makes sense, but can you give me an example of what you observe with the tea itself when you feed the same microbes (in seperate batches of course) with two different nutrient sources? And of course, do you see any differences with you plants when using the same type of tea but grown/fermented with different nutrient sources?

Since this is an organic nutrients pH thread, have you ever measured the pH of any of the teas you brew before you soak your soil? Just because you were curious to know what the pH was?

They should be on the acidic side of pH 7 as many microorganisms acidify the medium they are growing in. It is so true what you say about the health of the microbes being largely responsible for pH control in soil (of course this is assuming you are using good water).

It sounds like you have a bit of experience with organic gardening in general, thanks in advance for the cool info!

Cheers,
Sensi13
F@#K! I wrote a response twice to this and both times it said something about not working and hitting "back" but it was lost. I'll write another one later don't have time now.

Cheers
ON