Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 02:05 AM
zigzag

I'd have to get some bigger hooks to rig that one up bucketbong, lol.

Worms are great but for those of you that don't know, they can be harmful to our forests that do not have native earthworms. Here are a couple of links. Fishermen are the culprits in most cases. Control your worms men !!!

Invasive earthworms - Invasive species: Minnesota DNR

Earthworms damage forests
Old 03-31-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
I'd have to get some bigger hooks to rig that one up bucketbong, lol.

Worms are great but for those of you that don't know, they can be harmful to our forests that do not have native earthworms. Here are a couple of links. Fishermen are the culprits in most cases. Control your worms men !!!

Invasive earthworms - Invasive species: Minnesota DNR

Earthworms damage forests
Both of those articles are misleading.
Epigeic worms (surface dwellers )
feed on decaying organic matter and are the preferred Compost worms,and are very sensitive to harsh outdoor environments...Like Minnesota.

anecic worms (true earth worms) live in deep burrows down to the mineral soil layer 6 feet or more. and do not breed or grow in a compost bin environment.

Most scientists who study worms believe there are No Native species in
N. America because they were all killed off during the glacial ice age and all worms here today were brought here from somewheres else, mainly Europe and Asia.

Im no expert but I do have over 20 lbs of Eisenia Hortensis and a bit more of Eisenia Foetida both are very good composting worms and would not survive well out side of their control bin,at least not in my arid high altitude climate.
I do have an outdoor ground bin that contains a large pale earthworm that is well established in my climate and they will not survive even two days in the indoor bins.

Canadian Nightcrawlers (worms listed in DNR report) are anecic worms and will not survive in a worm bin ,maybe the DNR should ban the importation of those Canadian Nighcrawlers...fish bait is all their good for and my E.Hortensis are superior fishing bait worms and wont harm anything.

be wary of the information you read about worms on the net...
It is a giant buisness and you can and will get taken if you don't do your home work.
Stay away from Uncle Jims Worm farm...his scales don't weigh right...
kinda like the local dealer.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:25 AM
zigzag

Yes its not specifically those worms in your bin...I think the culprits are the fishing worms that get discarded. I was just throwing some general info out there. Here is some more...

Great Lakes Worm Watch :: Soil and the forest floor
Old 04-04-2012, 04:48 AM
Digital

Thanks for adding some good information to the thread, yall.

I just transferred the worms and wanted to show the rest of the steps to make the bin. I added perlite and some leaf mould from outside, not too much of either.

Here is the real 'bin', what they've been staying in so far has just been the runoff catcher. I moved the worms from where they are now into this, and then set this inside of the one they were in (with some 2x4's added as a spacer between the two).

This is what the lid ended up looking like:

This is the finished product:

Some gangster shit. Worm bins are the cannabis equivalent of an acid bath =) Those suckers are munching on some old trim and shit I found when cleaning out my room.

And I found this when I was reading about something else related to worm bins, and it made me think of you Patrick:
The Worm Composting Toilet
The question now is, which one of us will pull it off first? =)

And I was rocking some old Gravediggaz while writing this post and came across this lyric from the Rza. I just had to put it in here:
Quote:
Niggas think that they own things
and man sit high upon thrones

When you die
tell me what the fuck you own

When your skin flesh and bones
find a permanent home

As food for worms
or fossils trapped in stone

Gravediggaz - "What's Goin' On"

Last edited by Rza; 04-04-2012 at 05:02 AM.