Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 02:32 AM

Sorry I've neglected this thread, but funds are tight...

I added in ~1 tablespoon/gallon of the 3-0-1.5 cottonseed/soybean/sulfate of potash dry fert to my recycled mix along with 1tbs/gal dolomite, and ~1tablespoon/gal total of equal parts kelp, rock phosphate, and greensand. Now I have 30 gallons of what can best be called 'organic matter'. It's lost most of it's fluffieness. It has similar compaction/water retention properties to a commercial bagged outdoor soil.

Today I got some coco chips, prolly bet 1/4-1" long for the most part. I mixed up a 1:1 recycle:coco batch, and I really like the structure. I'm going to add another ~1tbs/gal of greensand to the mix. I'm hoping to get some crabshell asap.

So I got a bag of organic matter...
...a bag of chunky coco...
...an old coffee can...
...an 11 gallon garbage can...
...and a bag of greensand w/1 cup measuring cup.

8 coffee can scoops of recycledsoil/organicmatter
8 coffee can scoops of chunky coco chips
1 measuring cup of greensand.

Pics if I get around to it
Old 04-03-2012, 09:14 PM

Got me some Krabby cakes, gonna whip up some Krabby Patties. Lol people makin me feel like a crabby Paddy today

OK, I've decided to keep it simple. I can always add more

I put 1 part (coffee can) of crab shell (this stuff has a good bit of meat in it, too) into the garbage can with a total of 16 parts coco chips & recycled soil. So, 1/17 = 5.88% of my total mix is crabshell (not accounting for the greensand and lime).

The base 'nutes' (organic input, really) for the initial soil run are:

1. Crabshell/meat - 2-2-0 20%cal
--Went heavy on the initial mix because it breaks down slowly, and I want to get the chitin eating bacteria population up to break this lil fungus gnat life cycle I developed. Subsequent adds after recycling will be @ ~2% total mix volume.

2. Greensand - 0-0-3 Good amounts of silicon and Iron.
--Added 1 cup per 11 gal mix, so appx 1.5 tbs/gallon of soil Subsequent adds will be 1/2-1tbs/gal.

That's it

I have this vermicompost and composted llama manure that I will throw at the roots on transplant, and I have a 1:1:1 mix of kelp meal, soft phosphate, and greensand that I have also been sprinkling on transplant. It's my understanding that guano is sort of a slow release nutrient, so I'm going to just topdress Pguano in flower in order to avoid possible phosphate buildup and iron/Mn lockouts.

Feeds will be maxicrop powdered kelp, Neptune's harvest fish, vitamin/amino acid charged urine, and a fulvic/humic product. If I get some molasses for later in bloom, I'll use it

First run cost.

1. Organic matter (I used well recycled soil) - $20 or less for mushroom compost or castings.

2. Fluffy McCut - $20 for coco chips. I live in an area with lots o shops, so I got a 3cuft bag for $18

3. Crabshell - $35. I've used ~2-3% of the total bukkit on this mix so far, and will use less than 1/4 of it by the time it starts to show up again in the recycle bukkit, so call it 10 bucks.

4. Greensand - 4lb @ $0.68/lb = $3

5. Dolomite lime - 4lb for $9. Should last for a LOOOOOONG time @ 1/2 - 1 tbs/gallon.

6. Bottles. I've had these forever, but a gallon of fish hydrolysate should be under $30 and the kelp should be under $15. I have liquid karma which is expensive, but ful-humix can be had for under $15, also. I may pick up a $20 bottle of 'ful-power'.

7. Misc dry nutes - guano, kelp, soft phos... Will spend less than $5 on them per grow, so maybe $20/mix

First run is expensive. After the first run, this way of growing is less expensive than growing with jacks' all purpose and buying new rockwool/coco every cycle.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:28 PM

Last edited by TheLordWinter; 04-04-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:15 PM

is that an inspiration from subcools super soil recipie, and do you let it sit/cook for months?
Old 04-04-2012, 06:26 PM

It's inspired by the organic fanatic collective over at ICmag in the organic soil stickies. I didn't let this batch cook at all. I dropped 4 cuts (Shit and SuperSpice) into the soil RIGHT after I mixed it, and they are looking good 3-4 days later. I also threw some very young seedlings in the mix last night, and ~20hrs later they don't show any signs of issues (burning/twisting/etc..) I have run into issues in the past building a soil with lots of N that had to cook before it stopped burning plants - even established ones.

Hope this post doesn't get deleted, but I can only assume it will...

Sorry fam, but I'm not going to be updating any of my threads here after today. This place has taken a GIANT step in the wrong direction in my opinion (I hope personal opinions are still allowed). If it straightens out, I'll be back, but I ain't holding my breath. The site has needed attention/help since late 2009, and Shanti doesn't seem interested in trying to make things better - just making them easier.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:45 PM

come on pat

if you dont do your threads for yourself, for whom then?

im aware that your pissed bc some good infos got lost, repost them again or ask admini to back them up again, or even some of our new moderators, its no problem technically (vbulletin software)

we often need to accept that we dont agree in some points, but is that really a reason to surrender ? i thought you are above this level, same goes for sensi13, from my point of view it doesnt suit you both, and im sure our new moderators will act from now on different, that they did prior their new positions
Old 04-04-2012, 07:00 PM

deran you are dreaming if you thing that the new mods will abandon their anti-social behavior.

I respect hempy for his growing abilities and experience. I don't think that he is a good choice to bring civility to this place. I HAVE NO RESPECT FOR JESSE. NONE. After his posts and actions today, I have LESS THAN NO RESPECT FOR JESSE.

Why would I continue to contribute to a place where I have to beg and plead and message 'non-mods' to get my posts to show/re-show after 'mods' decided that what I said isn't valid? What is the point? I'm not here to be 'right'. I WAS here to grow & show plants, and to grow as a person.

Now I will simply take those goals/reasons for being online to another site. Not a big deal, really. What is a big deal is the vibe TODAY versus the vibe from Aug 07-Aug 09. IMO the site has slowly deteriorated since then. Today it fell off the cliff, IMO