Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2008, 02:48 AM
barletta

By 'hard' fim, I mean go for as many tops eminating from the cut point as possible, and the 2 top (uncut) shoots stay even with the new tops. Definitely tough to verbalize, I'll get pics. Like I said, the goal is 3-4 "tops". It hurts to trim heavy down low, but I think it makes a huge difference in the amount of shitty lil buds you have to trim in 10 wks lol. I have some plants that I am happy with the fim/trim with, I'll post pics.

Fimming is like anything else, do it more, and you get better. I started growing in a 16" x 22" x 30" space, so I have been fimming/topping from the get go. I try to cut the top node right where the stem ends. I actually end up cutting 2 x's a lot, just to make sure that I get the stem. If you end up too high, all you do is fuck up the fans. Too low, and you end up topping or you get this little shitty 3rd shoot (I end up cutting that off lol). After maybe 50+ fimms, I have it down ok, but not 100%. I'll also post a fuck up.

Cloning is intimidating, but is EASY once you get a method that you like. I like to cut the shoot someplace where I can bury a node. I strip the growth/leaves off of that lower node, dip it in whatever rooting gel/powder (powder is like $2, works well, and lasts FOREVER) you want, and right into a happy soil mix. I use clear cocktail cups so I can see the roots. I snip off 3/4 of the largest fans, mist and put under flouros (veg light schedule). 1st wk, mist 2x's daily, after that mist daily until I see roots. I have a rubbermaid tub for moms/clones/veggers. Right now I am running 2 tubs because I have some clones for outdoors to root and 8 moms lol. 2 shits, 2 Spice, 3 SSH, Orange D. Spice x SSH. 9 moms ugh. I will have to see how the shits and spices shake out. I like all of my SSH's, and gave away a rooted cut of the hazy 1 to a buddy today.

The 1's I have go like this (from clone)
SSH 1 - Hazy, 12 wks. Beautiful haze structured buds, heavy, frosty.
SSH 2 - Just finishing up the 1st clone now. NL pheno. Smells like black pepper. Should go 9-10 wks nice dense open structured buds
SSH 3 - FAST hazy, lemony. DENSE little buds, finished in 8 weeks, Light yielder

Oh yeah, I have those unsexed f1's..... This time around, I will be taking and flowering cuts EARLY. The SSH I had just changed too damn much for me to trust the seedplants. I will flower them, but I bet they are very different. It will be cool to see them side by side the clones.

Have a great weekend.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 AM

I think all methods are good as long as decisions are made consciously/deliberately.
I find topping is better to fimming when you have head space and plan on putting more plants closer together.

Fimming allows for 4+ main tops and so its more suitable when growing less plants per light and have plants spaced more. They become more bushy and less tall than if topped

These two techniques though have major drawback .. though They usually slow down the plant . For the first few days its noticeable. The differences are obviously less if the plant is of a descent-size at the time you perform the 'cut/prunning' , cause you only remove/damage a very small proportion of its leaf/growth tissue

So if you have bit of head space but want to achieve more bushy plants and still use lots of plants in a tight space + try to slow down the plant as little as possible you can do something slightly different to fimming lets call the 'Slow-Down' method.

You can just slightly damage the main stem growth allowing for the side branches to catch up. Thus you end up with 3 tops without really killing/removing the main stem growth. This technique obviously may result in a bit taller plant but still they end up way shorter than if left to grow naturally plus you end up with 3 main equally-sized colas.

I topped most of my NH but I also did the above technique with one of the nh clones to see what will be the differences in the end . I usually prefer to fimm for max bush-iness but as I didnt veg them at all I thought lets see if this technique gives better results that topping/fimming in this case where there is no Veg time.

'Topping' technique:

The 'Fim' pruning method:

and the 'SlowDown' technique'

Last edited by L33t; 06-27-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:45 AM
barletta

Hey man, I had to ditch my f2's, so I'll be living vicariously from here out... I still have 3 f1's sexing, I couldn't bring myself to kill em. The seeds will def. hurt your yield, depending on how seeded the girls get.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:33 PM
barletta

They were all on my deck, now the 3 f1's are inside, and the f2's are in heaven (with their mom + dad lol). I was planning on running cuts inside side by side of the f2's and f1's. The f1's haven't sexed yet, but if I can get clones rooted of any girls, I will force a few outside. I have to have everything in by about the next to last or last week of october to avoid mold/heavy frost. I had some DP straw cough last fall take a decent freeze (maybe 30-31 for a few hours), with no apparent issues.

Of the f1's I have 2 'mutants' 1 has a funny texture to the leaves, and the other only grew fans/shoots on 1 side, as she was 'fused' together for a while (normal now).
Old 07-08-2008, 02:08 AM
barletta

Hey man the girls look great. I like the stakes on the last 1. The buds are in jail lol.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:45 AM

they look fantastic SativaFan,

i will try a haze/sativa after my next run of been's, for the first time!.

.........#..........
Old 07-08-2008, 01:15 PM
barletta

Yo SF. I didn't notice if you mentioned, but tor has me surfing from the tiny island nation of Palau today and we are kinda slow lol. Did you already pick up the 600? The reason that I ask, is that I have a cmh now, and I'm starting to get my mix/feed/room dialed, and the plants that have lived most/all of thier life under the cmh look way healthier/danker. The plants are shorter (only not good for Orange d. and shit for me, and I may be running them through), and I have buds that I didn't know a 400 could produce. Almost 'commercial' density w/o the big bud genes, and turbo chems.

That's awesome that you are in ID, especially if you are from/have spent a long time 'here'. I want to tempt you now...

Your 'friend' from a while back that told you that your ssh tasted like some old-school.... Maybe that's now your girlfriend??? Any way lol, I know that you value the flavor of your smoke. In my opinion the taste of OD bud crushes indoor bud. If you haven't grown your own bud under the BIG hps you are missing out in the taste dept.

Do you have frost/freeze by sept 1? If you took 5-6 cuts now, kept them in 24hr light, put them out the week ending July 19, You should be able to pull some smoke Sept 1, and the longer you can take it, the better. If the ground sucks (I know this is sacrelidge to you and me but....the sun, boss....) a big ass bag of OD garden soil, and a lil dry organic ferts (no fishies!!). I had a spot last year where I must have planted on top of slate, ar something, the plant would go BONE ass dry, and the water would always soak in right away. I dug her up, stuck her in a $6 bag of scotts, no problems.

C'mon bud TRY to get something out there! Although it is a bitch explaining to people all summer why I have cuts and bug bites all the time..
Old 07-10-2008, 10:36 PM

some nice looking plants you have there satfan
Old 07-10-2008, 10:45 PM
barletta

2 for 6, that's better than some people that TRY to take cuts..... Easy with those seedplant/clone assumptions... gotta run em.. LOL 1 of my new RULES... They look happy bro!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:36 PM
barletta

The clones will grow differently. Smaller stems, buds, less stretch, etc... The clones will be EASY to train (lst, top/fim, etc,,), and it is more likely than not that they will finish quicker than mom, but not guaranteed IME. I am liking having all of these home made seeds to run, as I like seed plants more than cuts, but cuts are reliable; once you run the cut, you know what you got.