Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 02:47 AM

Default How do you like your trichomes? And why?

I began this thread for the purpose of asking a specific question. But I figured more might be able to come out of it. So I ask, what do you like to see happening with your plants trichomes that lets you know they are ready? Im interested in personal opinions, not relayed "facts". What I thought could make things more interesting is taking a strain, any and all, and explain your preference of maturity for that strain and why. Also, correlate the maturity levels with flowering times.

Im a person who harvests based on trichomes. I dont pay to much attention to hair colors and use suggested flower times as guidelines. I like to harvest when I see a 1/3 ratio of amber to other colors in my trichs. I also do not like to see to much degredation in the glands, which brings up my original question. Do trichomes mature faster on the leaf than the calyxes? I am harvesting the plant that triggered the thought tonight. I am pleased with my color ratios, but I notice amber trichs on the sweet leaf beggining to degrade more so than on the bud. And the slightest increase of amber trichs in the same respect.
Here is the plant- (Blueberry x OG kush) x Vanilla Kush 53 days. First time growing it.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:19 AM

It's highly dependent on several variables. Pot size, Food, Light Schedule, and Genetics. I've grown the same cut in several different mediums and pot sizes with vastly different results. Your plants in the picture looks indica dominant which should be easier to tell a definite finish time. It's up to personal preference in my personal opinion. It's always nice to run 6 or 7 of the same lady and treat them the same. Then take one or two early, a few more when you think they're ready, and the rest late. See which you like the best

I have a Mango Widow cut that goes through basically 3 sets of flowering on a 12/12 schedule. I usually take her 2 1/2 sets in to flowering as the last set of pistils are 70% white, 30% reddish. This is when THIS particular cut is at it's peak. It takes her about 63 days to reach this point. You can take her further, but I find the high to her gets more muddled and not as precise and sharp.

I have another Mango Widow cut (her sister) that's quite the opposite. Forms a single set of flowering pistils during it's life, instead of going through small flower sets, and finishes uniformly with much less fox tails. She takes 55-58 days.

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” -John Wayne

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss
Old 02-04-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouchie View Post
It's highly dependent on several variables. Pot size, Food, Light Schedule, and Genetics. I've grown the same cut in several different mediums and pot sizes with vastly different results. Your plants in the picture looks indica dominant which should be easier to tell a definite finish time. It's up to personal preference in my personal opinion. It's always nice to run 6 or 7 of the same lady and treat them the same. Then take one or two early, a few more when you think they're ready, and the rest late. See which you like the best

I have a Mango Widow cut that goes through basically 3 sets of flowering on a 12/12 schedule. I usually take her 2 1/2 sets in to flowering as the last set of pistils are 70% white, 30% reddish. This is when THIS particular cut is at it's peak. It takes her about 63 days to reach this point. You can take her further, but I find the high to her gets more muddled and not as precise and sharp.

I have another Mango Widow cut (her sister) that's quite the opposite. Forms a single set of flowering pistils during it's life, instead of going through small flower sets, and finishes uniformly with much less fox tails. She takes 55-58 days.
I'm guessing that if you don't have the facility to grow several plants you could harvest a couple of colas of a single plant early, some more when you think it's ready and the last few a bit over?

A mistake is only a mistake if one learns nothing from it
Old 02-04-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouchie View Post

I never really took pot size into consideration. But it does make sense. Ive just switched to all organics and cut my pot sizes down to 5 gal. I thought it would affect maybe yield. It really didnt though. I think yield has to do a lot with the size of the plant. Anyway, I have noticed some strains finishing a tad bit earlier than normal. I thought it was due to switching from synthetics, but now pot size might make more sense. The two plants in the 10 gal smart pots are doing more of what was expected. The others that ate finishing faster than normal are in smaller containers. Not affecting yield though.

The mango and widow crosses are strains I am very interested in. Thanks for that info. I do run two 15x15 rooms with 6000 watts a piece. So running at least two of the same is definitely possible.